KITT should be a Made in USA car.

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT should be a Made in USA car.

Post by seeker78 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Upon researching the topic, I have found that the only car on the list which is made on American soil is the Mustang (the Camero is made in canada apparently). However, I'm still with the people who said the Mustang is too boxy/not futuristic enough. I do want an American made car though (yes I did check and the Acura NSX is apparently made in Japan; honda does make some models here, but that isn't one of them). Clearly, this movie would result in people buying a lot of whatever kind of car it features, as did the 80s series of Knight Rider, so let's use a Made in USA car to preserve American jobs.

Can anybody suggest a kitt-looking car which is made on American soil? I guess the Corvette is out because (A) no back seat and (B) apparently it can't do the stunts (I'm not actually a car guy, more of a computer geek, so I will take victor's word on that one). The Viper is probably out for the same reasons.

here's some things I could suggest:

Ford Focus
Chevy Cobalt
Pontiac G5
Saturn Ion (I heard this has been discontinued, but it's still on the official saturn web site)
Saturn Aura (as a backup but the Ion is better)

These are made in the USA, although the company is Japanese:
Toyota Camry Solara (current ones are made in Kentucky)
Toyota Corolla (made at NUMMI in Fremont, California)

--Brian

The Shadow
Volunteer

Re: KITT should be a Made in USA car.

Post by The Shadow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:36 pm

I don't know if the Saturn Ion has been discontinued yet - but it's headed that way. GM's been increasing their [death] grip on Saturn the last few years so it's not quite the company it once was. I drive a model year 1999 Saturn SL1 - it's been a great car and suits my needs. A lot of the newer stuff is starting to be repackaged vehicles that GM is selling through their various divisions.

If they went with a Saturn, I think that the recent Sky roadster [a sibling vehicle to the Pontiac Solstice] probably has the best "core" look for a FLAG/Knight Rider vehicle. Unfortunately, as with most sporty cars it's just a two-seater and as far as I know, only comes as a convertible right now. A nice hardtop version of the Sky could make for a suitable successor to the Trans-Am if Saturn ever came out with one [assuming of course GM let's them].

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:56 pm

The Shadow wrote:I don't know if the Saturn Ion has been discontinued yet - but it's headed that way. GM's been increasing their [death] grip on Saturn the last few years so it's not quite the company it once was. I drive a model year 1999 Saturn SL1 - it's been a great car and suits my needs.
Yeah the Saturn SC-1 or SL-1 would be a good fit for KITT but not made anymore.

What about Ford Focus or Chevy Cobalt?
If they went with a Saturn, I think that the recent Sky roadster [a sibling vehicle to the Pontiac Solstice] probably has the best "core" look for a FLAG/Knight Rider vehicle. Unfortunately, as with most sporty cars it's just a two-seater and as far as I know, only comes as a convertible right now.
Yeah that's why I discounted the Sky, as well as the Corvette and the Dodge Viper, all are two seater's.

--Brian

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:36 am

Saturn Sky and Saturn Aura is a German cars.
Saturn Aura - Opel Vectra (in Europe), Vauxhall Vectra (in UK), Holden Vectra (in Australia).
Saturn Sky - Opel GT.
Besides, our family owns one old (1990) Opel Vectra and looking for new one, because it's well made car except it rusts fast, a new Vectra's is just perfect! And cheap :)

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:22 pm

Radicalas wrote:Saturn Sky and Saturn Aura is a German cars.
Saturn Aura - Opel Vectra (in Europe), Vauxhall Vectra (in UK), Holden Vectra (in Australia).
Saturn Sky - Opel GT.
Besides, our family owns one old (1990) Opel Vectra and looking for new one, because it's well made car except it rusts fast, a new Vectra's is just perfect! And cheap :)
Well Opel is the german division of GM, the Saturn version is the one that's Made in USA (in Kansas) and the Opel is the one made in Germany. :)

It's too bad GM doesn't make those Saturn SC-1's anymore, those would be good to be KITT.

A Saturn Aura would be good, it's made in the usa and putting it in a movie would support American jobs and American glory. :)

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:24 pm

seeker78 wrote: A Saturn Aura would be good, it's made in the usa and putting it in a movie would support American jobs and American glory. :)
Although, the Aura is a 4 door so that's not really as kitt like. But it has a good nose. The Astra will be made in Belgium so I rule that one out. :)