2 things they missed on the new design

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

maverik
Volunteer

2 things they missed on the new design

Post by maverik » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:11 am

If I where a designer on the show my 2 rules would have been:

1) we need to keep the scanner and have it look the same as the original because everything else on the car is going to be radically different

2) we need to keep KITTS "mouth" (the 3 blinky lines for lack of a better description) the same and keep it in the same position over the steering wheel

In my rule book, you never want to deviate too much from what makes something recognizable as an icon and visually kitt had really only 3 things going for it: scanner, “mouth”, steering wheel.

I understand why they went with the split scanner as it worked better with the design of the car, however, I would rather they had reworked the front of the car to accommodate the scanner better or gone with a different car with a better profile for it.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: 2 things they missed on the new design

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:49 pm

maverik wrote:2) we need to keep KITTS "mouth" (the 3 blinky lines for lack of a better description) the same and keep it in the same position over the steering wheel
Since this is a new character, I don't think they need to have the exact same voice modulator. But I do agree it should be based upon the same basic concept of three columns of lights. KITT and KARR and similar but different voice modulators, I'd like to see a third variation.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Question; how do we know that the car they unveiled, is gonna look like that when the pilot is shown?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:01 am

KRAvengerII wrote:Question; how do we know that the car they unveiled, is gonna look like that when the pilot is shown?
They have already been filming the show and are in the process of filming it, so I really doubt that they would unveil something different to the public. (highly unlikely, anyways)

We don't know what the voice modulator thing (if it has one) and interior really looks like yet, though. Maybe they want to keep it a surprise.
One man did make a difference.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Regarding the scanner, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the final version.

In a previous thread, Shapeshifter said the designers kept the old scanner, but were told to change it. He claims it is pretty cool. (I will try and locate his post where he said this).

EDIT (Found it!): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10460&p=125605#p125605
Shapeshifter wrote:A lot of comments (mostly negative) have been made about the scanner, or the lack of scanner, or whatever. I have a little story to relate about that. When the design team came back to the producers with the original concept for the scanner, if was the traditional 8-segment led light bar. The producers told them "That's not going to cut it, go do it better." What they came back with, I'm not going to say here. But suffice to say it's much more imaginative and way cooler, and you haven't seen it yet.
krfan1

kitt1987
Recruit

Post by kitt1987 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:17 am

The biggest thing they missed out on are the PMD seats! lol ;)