Original Pilot

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

flemmo
Rookie

Original Pilot

Post by flemmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:14 am

I watched the original pilot again the other day. I must say it has stood the test of time very well indeed. The plot, acting, characters, visuals and flow are all spot on. I know David Hasselhoff has become a bit of a parady - he loves to send up Knight Rider and himself, but I'm a big fan of his acting ability. Consider that he is sat in a car which is on a trailer. He's having to deliver half of the dialogue and interact with something that isn't there (KITT's voice added in post-production), and pretend to drive. But yet his delivery totally convinces you that KITT is real and that he cares for it as he would a close friend.
Now compare this to modern blue-screen films such as the recent Star Wars trilogy. They are also acting with something that is added in post-production, but my god can you tell! The acting is completely wooden at times.

So I can totally understand why Glen wants to remake the pilot in a modern setting - the original pilot is a brilliant foundation (for law and government!. I just love the scene where Michael meets KITT for the 1st time - in the dark garage, camera on the floor through Michaels legs, then you hear the turbine hum and the scanner starts to pulse. Ahhh happy memories!