Knight Rider series at conventions?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider series at conventions?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:27 pm

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but one thing I am really looking forward to if NBC goes ahead with a full series is having conventions. Movies will always have a presence at various Cons, but the most devoted fandoms seem to revolve around TV shows. Because television tends to have smaller stars, it's easier to bring an entire cast together for panel discussion, along with the production staff. And since a TV series is sort of a living, constantly changing entity, you can ask questions about the past, present, and future storylines.

In the 80s, I think most Knight Rider fans gathered at car shows. But I'm hoping that by next year we can have a huge presence at conventions at a scale we've never seen before.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:34 pm

Well I'am sure the new kitt will probably be on the show circuit fast. If the new series is a hit. Now heres a question did the infamous kift ever go on the show circuit?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:44 pm

KIFT went back to the prop department and was recycled in the CHiPs reunion and a Power Rangers episode; it probably appeared elsewhere. The difference is that since Knight Rider 2000 was a one-off, there was no motivation for NBC to send it out on a publicity tour. With a new series, it could definitely pay off to make a new car to do the convention/shopping mall circuit again.

(I saw KITT in 1983 at one of our malls. Was very cool.)

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 pm

I to saw a kitt back in 1983 at our local big car show. George Barris was there with one of his fuzzy 1966 batmobiles had no doors on it. Also there was a General Lee and Sorrel Booke (Boss Hogg) made a personal appearance with white suit and all.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 pm

The difference is that since Knight Rider 2000 was a one-off, there was no motivation for NBC to send it out on a publicity tour. With a new series, it could definitely pay off to make a new car to do the convention/shopping mall circuit again.

I must disagree with you Michael,

The reason KIFT did not go on a convention circuit is that fans greatly disliked the movie in general. It's no secret Knight Rider 2000 fell way below the bar of the fan's expectations and the majority of them wanted to avoid being reminded that it even existed.

Keep in mind that had Knight Rider 2000 been a successful movie-pilot, it would have launched a new Knight Rider spin-off series, just as they are trying to do again in the present with their new backdoor-pilot.

It was a collosal failure and TKR didn't do much better in the grand scale of things. Let us not even mention 2010.

If the NBCU show is successful when it's finally released (pending injunctions) and people embrace the car as much as they embrace the story, then I have no doubts people will come out in droves to see it. There is no distinction between a car in a movie and a car on a television show.

If people love Glen's feature film version of the "KITT" car they'll come out to see it and if they love the NBCU tv version of their "KITT" car they'll come out to see that as well.

If people love the car, they'll come to see it. This has been proven time and time again by the turnout of fans who come to conventions and get to see replicas of KITT, KARR, The General Lee, 60s Batmobile, etc.

San Diego Comic Con is a good example of where you can see movie cars on display, that's not specific just to Knight Rider or a movie car museum in general.

=VK=

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:24 pm

I don't know- i went to the san diego comic con over the summer, and i made it a point to look for "Bionic Woman" posters- I went to the NBC booth, but all they seemed to have was "Heroes" stuff. It was the last day, so maybe they were all out by then, but I don't know if I'd find any "KR" stuff at the convention if i went.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:49 pm

I said movie cars not specific to just Knight Rider. They had the black and red car from Death Sentence, a Mach 5 from Speed Racer, and a Barris Batmobile on display last year. When Knight Rider moves into production from either camp, it's likely you will see the cars make an appearance as well to promote the films.

=VK=

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Knight Rider 2000 may have been a creative mistake, but it did deliver great ratings. I'm not sure I would call it a collosal failure. Had it become a series, and had THAT been successful, then of course we would have expected to see KIFT on tour. But yes I agree, the KR2000 concept fizzled quickly, and with it went the career of the Knight Four Thousand.

My point is that if the movie moves forward, we might get a good Knight Rider presence at one or two major conventions. But if we have a successful SERIES, we could have large Knight Rider gatherings for many years. I've been at the cons where I've seen the fans for BSG and Lost and Heroes. And before that, Voyager and Xena and Firefly. And many others. I'm just doing some wishful thinking that we might start seeing something similar for a new Knight Rider series.

As far as Comic-con is concerned; it was held before Bionic Woman premiered, so although I'm surprised they didn't have at least SOME promotional material, I wouldn't expect there to be a huge push for it. And keep in mind, it's only recently that comic-con has broadened as much as it has to include non-comic-book franchises.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:01 am

knight rider 2000 was a big hit when it made its debut in may of 1991, it was number 4 of the top 10 rated shows in the nielsen ratings for that week, granted the storyline sucked, but they were planning on bringing it back as a series with the female cop as the new driver of the car to replace michael knight, i dont know why it never went to series, i guess they figured it wouldn't be sucessful with a female driver.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 am

Yes, Knight Rider 2000 had good ratings the single time it was broadcast because of the simple fact no one knew what to expect. As for sustained ratings that's where it fell flat.

I share your enthusiasm for a renewed interest in Knight Rider with respects to more KITT's at conventions/shows etc. Always make things extra fun in addition to comics and movies that appear there.

I have no doubt in the years to come, Knight Rider will have a revival (in general). We can hope for a large scale comeback but a comeback nonetheless.

=VK=

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:02 am

According to David Hasselhoff's book Knight Rider 2000 wasn't picked up as a series because Susan Norman didn't test well with the audience. The audience still showed interest in Hasselhoff. Since Hasselhoff hated the whole concept of KR2000 and since He tested well with the audience again They decided to go with a series of KR Movies instead. He was willing to do 4 tv films Universal wanted at least 2 and NBC only wanted to try one so it all fell through. And that was the end of the KR revival until Team Knight Rider's attempt.