Will NBC Universal's Telefilm Help Or Hurt Larson's Movie?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Will the new TV movie help or hurt Glen Larson's film?

Will help it.
29%
Will hurt it.
29%
Will have no effect at all.
43%

Total votes: 14

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Will NBC Universal's Telefilm Help Or Hurt Larson's Movie?

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:30 pm

This question applies more to brand new fans of the franchise who've never seen Knight Rider before, as opposed to the already existing fans, like us. With all the talk of NBC Universal's telefilm/series and Glen Larson's feature film, do you think NBC Universal's attempt to derail Larson's movie will affect it in any way? Whether NBC Universal's attempt succeeds or fails miserably, I'm wondering if its existence would deter new fans from going to see the movie. Or, will it be a case of there being no such thing as bad publicity?

Personally, I think NBC Universal's attempt will completely backfire, and do nothing but help Larson's movie gain popularity/controversy, despite their intentions. Even if the telefilm/series bombs miserably, I think the general public will be smart enough to realize both projects have nothing to do with each other. And if it succeeds beyond anyone's expectations, I think audiences will want to see what more the franchise has to offer, if nothing else, simply to compare them at the very least.

It seems these days that the more musicians or movie stars make mistakes in real life, the more controversy surrounds them and the higher their record sales/movie revenue become. And with that being the case, ultimately I think the same outcome may apply to this situation. My money's on Larson getting the last laugh at the end of the day.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

I'm going to come right out and say it... IMHO, if the NBC project hits the airwaves, there will be no Larson/Weinstein movie in theaters.

That's not to say that I don't want a Larson-scripted KR feature... but I just don't see the project getting financial and studio support after, success or fail, a KR TV movie has aired. I would love to eat crow on this one...

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm

i think the tv series and the movie will both do good, i dont see any reason why we cant have a tv series and a motion picture, it worked for star trek!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:30 am

Keep your eye on the trades in the next couple weeks. You've heard from NBC/Universal, soon you're going to hear news from the Larson camp.

What is going to be put in print just may sideline or halt the NBC/Universal tv movie pilot entirely. They've already been issued a cease and decist order by Glen's lawyers and have failed to honor it.

I've been telling you things that have been going on behind the scenes with the two projects, very shortly you are going to see it in print and then it will be official.

Remember where you heard about it first.

=VK=

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:37 am

it actually makes me kind of sad to see, that it has come down to that level. i understand that it's all about money and propably a lot about ego as well, but anyway it leaves (another) dark spot on 'the new knight rider movie' that was in the media since 2002 (though it might not be the same project as the one now the average movie goer won't know nor care).

why can't there be Larson's re-imagined movie and the continuation TV series at the same time? both concepts are so different from each other that both have a right to exist and both can attract its own audience.

take a look at Smallville and Superman Returns. One is a series, the other one's a movie. both tell the story of the same charakter but are so different in concept from each other, that they could easily co-exist and be successful at the same time.

well, i just guess the term "live and let live" isn't known in hollywood, for them it's been "live and let die" long before james bond made that line popular :x

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:34 pm

I voted no effect.

Fans are fans. If Glen Larson makes a Knight Rider movie, can anyone here honestly come up with a reason why they wouldn't go see it? For this discussion, I think we only need to think about the non-fans.

If the TV Movie is bad, it will be a tiny footnote in the history of Knight Rider. By the time the movie gets released, people will have forgotten about the TV Movie. People who aren't already fans will probably miss the TV version completely.

If the TV Movie is good, it re-ignites the franchise and gets people excited about Knight Rider. It whets their appetite for a feature film, even if it's in a different universe.

I think we have to give the general public some credit. They'll be able to tell the difference between the two projects and will choose whether or not to watch each one on their own merits.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm

With two warring factions battling over the same property it is inevitable that if one property fails to please the fan's expectations, they will flock to the other and either both properties will co-exist or one will win out over the other.

As I've said before it's going to be up the fans (new and old) to decide the outcome.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:57 pm

Heres somthing I don't understand at all. If Universal Studios has the tv rights to knight rider. And Glen only has the movie rights how can he expect to win his case? His lawyers must have somthing in his contract that states otherwise? I also have to agree with d_osborn I think the Wienstiens are probably shaking in their boots. I'am sure they are now wondering if they want to put out the money. And it should get very interesting if the Hoff and William Daniels signed up for the new tv series.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:50 pm

Victor, I think you're forgetting a third possible scenario...that the fans like neither of the two properties they are presented with and both obscure into distant memories over time. I sincerely hope that is not the case because I for one am hoping that both Universal's efforts and Glen's can peacefully coexist, however if both parties are hellbent on making sure the other is viewed negatively in the fans' eyes and in the public's eyes in order to further their own causes, then it'll become a no-win situation.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:04 am

Heres somthing I don't understand at all. If Universal Studios has the tv rights to knight rider. And Glen only has the movie rights how can he expect to win his case? His lawyers must have somthing in his contract that states otherwise? I also have to agree with d_osborn I think the Wienstiens are probably shaking in their boots. I'am sure they are now wondering if they want to put out the money. And it should get very interesting if the Hoff and William Daniels signed up for the new tv series.
Are you really serious?

A made for TV movie doesn't have the budget or the scale of a big budget theatrical film. A made for tv movie, even a successful pilot will never equal out to the sheer level of complexity that is involved in a full feature motion picture.

The effects are better, the actors are usually A list or at least respected enough to draw in a crowd, the viewing audience is guaranteed, the screen is bigger so it sucks you into the picture and you can see every detail of what is going on, the production value is higher, and last but not least the concept has more time to develop compared to a tv pilot developmental time frame.

Even with the Writer's Strike, films have been in development for years that have moved into production. Now I am not saying all movies are successful compared to their original tv show counterparts. Story is still key and it can make or break a movie regardless but there is no question that a movie has a larger scale in terms of sets, locations, and action sequences or effects.

There is just simply no comparison between a tv pilot movie and a big theatrical experience. Granted you can have a enormous theatrical movie and it can completely bomb like a Uwe Bowell picture but the bottom line is Glen has nothing to fear from NBCU's television pilot.

The worst that will happen is people will prefer it over the feature film but there will still be that majority of the fans out there new or old that will be curious to see Knight Rider unfold on a grander scale then it did on the small screen twenty five years ago and with the taste of Knight Rider 2000, and TKR still sour in their mouth, it will be a welcome change to see Glen step back in and rebuild the property once again.

(Yes, I don't care for either Knight Rider 2000 or TKR, that's my right as a fan and someone who believes he has taste.)

TWC is not shaking in their boots by any means. NBCU is praying that their backdoor pilot will draw enough viewers away from Glen's film and take their "side" in which franchise is the better vision.

TWC is sitting pretty, trying to plan out how they're going to bury the competiton and with Glen on their side as a master storywriter who has taken his time to put this script together, they're off to a great start.

Can they pull it off with the dozens of other flops they've created, we will have to wait and see. They know they need a hit motion picture to pull them out of the gutter and their placing their bets on Knight Rider to put them back on the map and they will spare no expense to do it.

Not unlike Dreamworks putting their faith in Transformers, which is the highest grossing movie of the year out there so far.

Quality, not quantity will win out here in my opinion. I think its perfectly reasonable that the fans can like both or like one or the other. Whatever they decide will be the final outcome and we're not going to know that for sure until the following years to come.

IF the tv pilot is a flop, by the time the movie rolls around no one will even remember it. IF it's a success then there will be each camp expanding their own rightful territories. NBCU will have the tv ratings, TWC will have the movie audience.

Keep in mind a few notes here. I am not attacking the NBCU series pilot in any way, I am stating a general observation of tv vs. film property presentations using the Knight Rider projects as an example. I am also comparing movies that are made based on tv properties, not all movies in general.

Given that fans are demanding to see something new done with Knight Rider I honestly don't believe they will reject both ideas, it's possible but highly unlikely because there is no telling when the property will be pulled back out from the shelf and dusted off for another attempt in the near future.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:21 am

Wow big post Victor. As I said at the beginning of my other post I don't understand why Glen is sending his lawyers after Universal. That studio has been in business for a long time. They probably have a whole building full of lawyers. So if there is some loophole Glen is using. Somebody at Universal screwed up royally. And probably someone is going to get a pink slip. Okay maybe the Wienstiens are not shakin in their boots. But I don't believe they are cool and calm about this current situtation. Oh and if Glen is not worried about the tv movie why does he have is lawyers firing off cease and decist letters to Universal Studios?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:23 am

Glen is upset because of a multitude of issues regarding Universal violating his personal rights and he wants to hit them where it will do the most damage, while he puts together his case to address the other issues which I cannot disclose.

He's not threatened by the NBCU tv series pilot but he's not happy about it either, if he can put a stop to it he will. Keep in mind in the business of hollywood there are certain rules that you should never break and when those rules are broken, people lose jobs and lawyers are called in.

Universal created this TV series to create direct competition with Glen's movie (whether you choose to believe it or not) there is documented proof of this and the events that happened prior to the television series announcement. Shady business practices and a neglection of contractual obligations have forced his hand.

These issues should all be covered in the trades in the weeks to come. I really cannot discuss this subject further then I have at this point in time.

=VK=

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:13 am

If Larson sues NBC/Universal they aren't gonna take it laying down they will counter sue for something and what will happen is the court system will end up shutting both projects down. Until this whole mess is settled. Then nobody wins.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:19 am

March2875 wrote:If Larson sues NBC/Universal they aren't gonna take it laying down they will counter sue for something and what will happen is the court system will end up shutting both projects down. Until this whole mess is settled. Then nobody wins.
I agree that they will counter-sue, but if Larson is right, the courts go by documented proof, and Larson's project should have no reason to be shut down. Presuming Larson has a valid case, of course.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:15 pm

I agree with Viotor's assesment of the difference between movies and TV, in that movies have much bigger budgets and much more time, both of which can contribute to a superior experience, expecially in the action genre. The budget contraints for the Knight Rider TV movie have forced the producers to make hard choices. TV production is all about doing a lot with a little.

I still don't buy into the thoery that anything Glen was doing had anything to do with Unversal's decision to revisit a property they own. Maybe what will come out in the trades will prove Victor right, but until I see it, I just can't accept it.

BTW, in the irony department, I noticed in the Hollywood Reporter the other day that David Andron has sold a feature script to a movie studio. The movie studio? The Weinstein Company.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 pm

I have no doubts that Universal created the idea in developing the new knight rider tv show to put the screws to Glen's movie project. But I also find it hard to believe they would leave themselves wide open for a lawsuit. Where they might have to pay out a large settlement. If they have someone is going to be getting their walking papers. It looks like to me the movie business is a back stabbing cut throat affair.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:02 pm

I really don't know what to say about this, so I chose the "no effect" answer.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:11 pm

I don't want to come off like some pollyanna here, but your argument makes less sense when you realize that the Universal that you attribute these sinister motives to is really just a group or people trying to do a job. Do you really think that stopping Glen Larsen enters into their thinking as a reason to make a TV pilot? You can argue the validity of thinking that Knight Rider is still a vialble franchise, but you can't argue that there are sinister motives behind it. It just doesn't wash.

I heard that Silverman originally got excitied about revisiting the franchise for one reason, and it wan't stopping Larsen. It was NASCAR.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Shapeshifter I'am not sure if your post is directed at me or not. But its Victor that says there is all kinds of monkey business going on. After all he has the inside information. I'am only going by what he says. I think the bigwigs at Universal finally relized they made a mistake selling the movie rights to knight rider. Too bad for them. And this idea that both projects might be on hold while they battle it out in court doesn't sit well with me. Hey Victor is there some kind of expirey date on Glen's contract?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:06 pm

I don't want to come off like some pollyanna here, but your argument makes less sense when you realize that the Universal that you attribute these sinister motives to is really just a group or people trying to do a job. Do you really think that stopping Glen Larsen enters into their thinking as a reason to make a TV pilot? You can argue the validity of thinking that Knight Rider is still a vialble franchise, but you can't argue that there are sinister motives behind it. It just doesn't wash.
Shapeshifter, you do not have both sides of the story, it's unwise for you to sound off on an issue that goes beyond what you understand about the bigger picture but the trades will help clarify it on a more official level.
but you can't argue that there are sinister motives behind it
As far as the motives are concerned, you really should wait for the articles Glen is working on to reach the trades before championing to their aid to prove they are not "sinister". There is documented proof of this claim but like you said however, you will believe what you choose to believe and that's perfectly fine.

Nelson B, Glen's contracts at Universal do not expire, they were made when the rules were different, they have unique stipulations he set up back in the 80s. Creative rights (movie/tv) don't expire. They are typically transfered and in the case of the feature film to TWC. Only movie "option" rights tend to expire as was the case with Revolution Studios attempt to make a Knight Rider feature film.

Until that option expired, Glen could not go to any other movie studio and try to make the movie. It was only after their time expired, he had the freedom to shop the property around.

You have to keep in mind, Universal has never owned the feature film rights to Battlestar Galactica or Knight Rider or many of the other shows Glen invented (Manimal, Automan, The Fall Guy). They focused on television with those properties and Glen was very wise to ensure that in the future he had full control if those properties were ever considered on a theatrical level. During that era, Universal never expected there to be a demand for feature films based on their television properties.

With Hollywood's obsession to create remakes, sequels, spin-offs and anything with a built in audience, now these rights he has have become quite valuable depending on the nature of the project.

Glen is simply taking advantage of this demand, evoking his right to do so. When Glen created Knight Rider and Battlestar Galactica, he received what's been called the best creative deal in the history of television. The amount of rights and royalties he was able to attain has long since paid off for him and continue to do so.

In our modern era, seperation between movie and tv rights no longer exists. They tend to transfer from one company to the next as a package deal and if there are several properties in a deal this is called a "library".

The studios try to buy out the rights entirely from creators of books, tv, comics, etc if at all possible so they have the freedom to control the property in whatever medium they choose to. Movies, tv, animated series, merchandising, publications, etc.

In the case of Glen and Knight Rider, there is a seperation of rights and this is why both camps can create a Knight Rider property with different approaches, cast, etc.

I can assure you that the feature film story/script is drastically different then the NBCU television series concept, based on what has been released about it on AICN and other sources.

Both projects will not be put into hiatus if there is a legal battle because Glen's reasons for suing NBCU are not related directly to the Knight Rider feature film. They are regarding contractual requirements that were not honored regarding the NBCU tv series and I will say no more then that matter.

Sorry for the longer post, I have been trying to keep my responses more brief but you all keep coming up with questions I cannot give a simple answer to.

=VK=

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:58 pm

victor kros wrote:Sorry for the longer post, I have been trying to keep my responses more brief but you all keep coming up with questions I cannot give a simple answer to.
The long posts are fine by me. I find all of this very interesting and have learned some things about the business in the process, Victor.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks for the information Victor. I wouldn't worry about long posts. Its just when you made that big one yesterday I thought uh oh I hit a nerve. I'am just relieved that both projects are not going to be put on hold. I had visions of them being tied up in the courts for years. If that was going to happen I think the fan's would of just given up or riot in the streets.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Either neither will hurt the other, or they will each hurt the other as it will confuse the masses
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"