07 NBC KR KITT rumor...

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

d_osborn
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

07 NBC KR KITT rumor...

Post by d_osborn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:35 am

Take this with a GIGANTIC grain of salt...

I spoke with Rob Louisell at a Little Rock car show... he claimed that George Barris approached him at the show...mentioned that he's talking to NBC/Univ. about the pilot, then asked if he would be up for using his replica in the production. Rob said the show would supposedly start out with the old T/A, then go to something "more futuristic"....

Who knows...

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:57 am

That would be interesting considering Universal sanctioned George Barris on Michael Scheffe's behalf issuing a cease and desist order on making any more claims to designing the K.I.T.T. car or producing further replicas as well as the DeLorean from BTTF.

http://www.spencer1984.com/serendipity/ ... larms.html

Yes, I am aware Barris designed the SPM and Convertible modifications of KITT.

=VK=

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:47 am

George Barris has a newly updated KITT replica in his shop. (or at least he did just a few months ago.) This is NOT the strange pseudo-SPM car that appeared on the Nick & Jessica show. It is far more authentic-looking with a complete dash. (I saw it up close and personal). It seems odd that Barris would want to ship a car cross-country rather than using one in his own garage. And it's unlikely (to me anyway) that Barris would admit that someone else had a better car.

Barris' car is a single-monitor dash; maybe they want to go with a season 1-2 dash and that's what Rob has?

As for Universal's sanctions... this is Hollywood. It's amazing how quickly studios can forgive and forget when they need something.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:George Barris has a newly updated KITT replica in his shop. (or at least he did just a few months ago.) This is NOT the strange pseudo-SPM car that appeared on the Nick & Jessica show. It is far more authentic-looking with a complete dash.
Interesting. So is this a more authentic looking Super Pursuit Mode replica? I still wish I knew what happened to the original SPM car from Season 4...could very well be stored away in someone's garage for all we know.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:28 pm

No. It is a regular KITT, standard cruise mode. No fins.

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:48 pm

victor kros wrote:That would be interesting considering Universal sanctioned George Barris on Michael Scheffe's behalf issuing a cease and desist order on making any more claims to designing the K.I.T.T. car or producing further replicas as well as the DeLorean from BTTF.

http://www.spencer1984.com/serendipity/ ... larms.html

Yes, I am aware Barris designed the SPM and Convertible modifications of KITT.

=VK=
Yes, yes, yes... hence the "take this with a grain of salt" disclaimer. ;) Just going from what Rob told me.

Another interesting bit is that Scheffe helped Rob out with this particular replica... namely helping with the design on a slightly revised nose.

According to Rob, he's totally gung-ho about his replica obtaining "screen-used" status. What I find odd is that NBC/Univ. would even go to Barris, seeing as how Rob is a license holder for KITT replicas. Maybe Barris is doing the updated KITT? Oh, lordy... I hope not! :roll:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:05 pm

My understanding is that Rob has A license to make replicas, but not necessarily THE license to make replicas. Universal could authorize as many or few people as they like. And besides, if Barris makes a car for the show, then it isn't really a replica, is it? It IS KITT.

Looking back, this wouldn't be the first time time Barris "subcontracted out". For the KITT used in Benchwarmers, Barris' shop contacted me of all people looking for Knight Rider replica parts. I put them in touch with Don Colie who provided the hubcaps and steering wheel for the car.

So it's quite possible that the KITT Barris currently has isn't quite what Universal is looking for, and it's easier to bring in an existing car than make a new one.

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:16 pm

...and just so you guys don't think I'm nuts, here are pics of Rob and Barris at the show together. The show was fun... I had NO clue there was going to be anything KR related there...

http://www.knightfoundation.net/07_b0ar ... php?t=8044
http://www.knightfoundation.net/07_b0ar ... php?t=8047

IF the car is gong to be used, I wonder if the autograph will play a pivotal role in the plot. :roll:

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Last edited by BoMcD on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:25 pm

In the future, please refrain from posting full-size images directly in messages. Either resize them, or post links. Thanks.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Sorry 'bout that Chief.. :oops:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:51 pm

d_osborn wrote:...and just so you guys don't think I'm nuts, here are pics of Rob and Barris at the show together. The show was fun... I had NO clue there was going to be anything KR related there...

http://www.knightfoundation.net/07_b0ar ... php?t=8044
http://www.knightfoundation.net/07_b0ar ... php?t=8047

IF the car is gong to be used, I wonder if the autograph will play a pivotal role in the plot. :roll:
There he goes again. I guess if he's not actually writing "I created K.I.T.T.," then he's not technically saying he created the car. :roll:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:02 am

from what i have been reading it looks like barris is a fraud, he takes credit for other peoples creations, nbc universal should hire the original creator of kitt, michael scheffe to build the new knight rider car.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 am

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Scheffe informed Glen a few weeks ago he is busy designing a theme park in the Middle East somewhere in the desert (dubai, I think?), he's not availible to work on either Knight Rider project for awhile.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:48 pm

I thought nothing was going to be happening as long as the writers strike is on?

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:12 pm

It sounds like the NBC script was finished before the strike...

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 pm

a lot of projects are right now on hold- movie, t.v.- series, specials....this includes fill in shows,etc.
" Silence....we have an intruder... "