Can We Help The Real Michel Knight?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ilana
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Can We Help The Real Michel Knight?

Post by ilana » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:46 am

Hello dear members of the forum!

I started to write the topic because of the recent news about the new Knight Rider project. And we know now that David Hasselhoff is not going to be in the film. I know as well, that a lot of you would love to see David in the moviie. And some of you feel it's Ok if he is not. Let me tell my own vision of the problem, as I understand it.

And let's start with the arguments against David in the film.

1. He is too old for the role of Michel Knight.

But do not forget George Peppard, the remarkable actor from the A-team. He started to play in the series at the age of 55. Do I need to tell that he looked excellent in every episodes? He was one of my favorite actors...
Just a few feeks ago David shooted "Anaconda-3". If he can play in the movie, why he cannot play in the new "Knight Rider"???? He is a middle age man and he looks very good for me. And for many of his fans, I guess. :wink:

2. He has ruined his reputation because of his health problem.

Johnny Depp took drags. And in one intervew he even told that taking some drugs is not soo bad. Do you think he should not have caree because of it?
David's problems with health is just his private problems! He knows that he must stay sober and he is doing good! It's just foully to blame him for that! David is ill. But he tryis very hard to became healthy, and, I think, he has all his good chances to became healthy.

So why do not the guys from NBC want him back in "Knight Rider"?

I'm SURE it's not because of his age, or because of his problems with health. It's just simply to understand. David has AUTHORITY. He was in the original series and he want to bring back the OLD "Knight Rider". In other words, if they let him in the movie he will be like....................... well, guys, I think you understand me. :lol: In other words, he probably would not let them do what they want. I really do think that the new film will be out of all proportion to the old TV-series. David - and only David - could be the "link" between old and new times of "Knight Rider".

And now lets consider the reasons for David in the new film.

1. "Knight Rider" with David as Michael Knight will be the real sequel of the great TV-series.

It's just obviously. Yeah, Michael Knight has became a bit older, but he is still on his road with KITT. Another person is another person. Another Michael Knight - another movie, another spirit. If you are a real fan of the old "Knight Rider" it's just strange if you want a new cast.

2. David was perfect as Michael Knight.

His acting was one of the main reasongs, which made the TV-series so good. It's just VERY difficult, if it's possible at all, to fine another actor, who will be as good, as David. Why do we refuse something, that was definitely very good (I even say it was excellent) for something else, what's a puzzle? From my own excperience, it's a big fault.

3. David has a great talent and he is a real professional.

If you have any objection, you are probably on the wrong message board.

4. David is very similar to Michael Knight in a real life. And he is a real big fan of the series.

What can be better if we know that the actor is very similar to his character? That his role and his work is the message he wants to tell all his friends and fans? That he works with love in his heart for us?

5. David could correct the scripts and story lines so they would be corresponding to the spirit and the idea of original.

(Exactly the reason the producers do not want him in the movie.)

I am sure, it's fairly if David gets the role of Michael Knight. And so we will have a chance to watch a good film.

But I wrote this topic not just to let you know what I think, and not to arguing. I thought that maybe it's a chance for us to help David, the real Michael Knight. Maybe we could petition to the producers? In fact, they are going something for us, something that they think we would love. Why just we cannot let them know our wish? I'm thinking about something like "Get the Hoff to number one" campaign. I would do it myself, but I do not know how. :cry: Are there real knights, who can help me and David?

Thank you for reading.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 am

Glen's feature film script it is not a continuation nor is it intended to be. A cameo is possible for David but it's not a sequel to the original TV series nor its spin-offs.

The "characters" of Michael and K.I.T.T. are there and their "buddy cop" relationship is also in tact. Michael and KITT are written by the man who created them and thus knows them better then anyone else.

No matter how many petitions to ask for David to reprise his role as Michael Knight, this will not change because the script will not be rewritten to accommodate this request.

The NBC/Universal TV series is a whole other matter where such things could be feasible if they chose to pursue it.

=VK=

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:32 am

I was talking about NBC.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Although I would like to see Hasselhoff make a small appearance in either project, I don't think it's a good idea to have him star in the new show.

It's nearly impossible to recapture magic. We can't simply pretend it's 1982 again and have them rewrite stories in the style of the original and have it work as a series in 2008. Knight Rider needs to change with the times, and clinging to the past won't help.

Hasselhoff knows this. As Baywatch went on in years, he pulled back his on-screen role to make room for the younger, fitter stars. In his early plans for a new Knight Rider several years ago, he talked about how he might be the boss of a new generation of crime-fighters. Hasselhoff himself recognizes that he should not be KITT's driver in a new project.

Sometimes the obvious casting isn't the best. To bring up Battlestar Galactica yet again, they recast Richard Hatch, the original Apollo, as a terrorist. Brilliant. Why not be interesting and bring Hasselhoff back as some completely new character? Or if you want to have some fun, don't have him in show but have him make an appearance as Garthe Knight for a 3-episode story arc?

Hasselhoff made Knight Rider work in 1982, and he has been very good to the fandom ever since. We owe him a lot. But the franchise is bigger than just him, or NBC, or Glen... I think it's time to let go, at least a little bit.

ozzieknight
Volunteer

Post by ozzieknight » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 pm

For a example of having actors returning to their roles succesfully after 15 years look at the first Dukes Of Hazzard reunion in 1997
The ratings were as good as the original show and the actors had no trouble doing stunts although they were 12 years older
I say if David Hasselhoff feels he can be Michael Knight again after so long give him a go

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:35 pm

ozzieknight wrote:For a example of having actors returning to their roles succesfully after 15 years look at the first Dukes Of Hazzard reunion in 1997
The ratings were as good as the original show and the actors had no trouble doing stunts although they were 12 years older
I say if David Hasselhoff feels he can be Michael Knight again after so long give him a go
...and the DUKES reunion was absolutely HORRIBLE! Neither KR projects currently in development are "reunions".... one is a loose sequel, and the other is a total reboot. To wish the original cast would pick up the show is nothing but fanboy dreaming, IMHO. The only way people would watch a Hoff-lead KR TV movie would be to have something to laugh about at the office watercooler the next day. Sad, but true. ...or, of course, if the TV movie were a parody, a'la STARSKY AND HUTCH. I'd hate to see this thing end up like KR2000, or the BAYWATCH movies.

Luckily, NBC has a solid production crew built for the project. I'm hoping they take a que from the tone of BATTLESTAR. For NBC, if Michael Knight appears as a small cameo, give it to Hoff. For Larson's movie... a tiny cameo as a background character, at most.