Should the KITT car type remain a surprise?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Poll ended at Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:46 pm

Yes
53%
No
20%
I am not sure.
No votes
Doesn't matter, I trust Glen.
27%

Total votes: 15

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Personally, I think Glen Larson should keep this a secret. Right up until you see the movie nobody will know what car KITT will be. It would be a great way to market it... as a mystery (people love mysteries. :) ) and then when you go to the theatres and see the car, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Reason I say this is, since I'm shopping around for a car myself, I have noticed that many cars seem rather lackluster in photos. But once you see them in person and/or what they can DO then they seem to look much better. So if we might learn in advance what KITT looks like, some may go "Bleah" and not see the movie and pre-judge the car without giving it a chance. But if you see how the car moves, what it does, etc. then I think there's more chance of a WOW! factor.

So I think it should be a surprise.

snafu
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by snafu » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:05 pm

I sort of waffled on this bit- then I thought: if it's a surprise, we won't have three months of people going "YUCK- I HATE IT!" before the movie/show comes out.
If it's a surprise we're stuck with what we have, and it will probably grow on us.

Though I really would prefer if they stuck with the original. :)

ETA: I'm a dork and didn't read FuzzieDice's entire post. You said the same thing. :)
So yeah, I like surprises.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Should the KITT car type remain a surprise?

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:20 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Personally, I think Glen Larson should keep this a secret. Right up until you see the movie nobody will know what car KITT will be. It would be a great way to market it... as a mystery (people love mysteries. :) ) and then when you go to the theatres and see the car, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Reason I say this is, since I'm shopping around for a car myself, I have noticed that many cars seem rather lackluster in photos. But once you see them in person and/or what they can DO then they seem to look much better. So if we might learn in advance what KITT looks like, some may go "Bleah" and not see the movie and pre-judge the car without giving it a chance. But if you see how the car moves, what it does, etc. then I think there's more chance of a WOW! factor.

So I think it should be a surprise.
I agree. The same thing applies with horror films with monsters; the monster is scarier/more interesting the less you see of him. I think the same mentality can be applied for the new car. If it's something new built entirely from scratch for the movie, it will be a hell of a lot easier to keep mysterious.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:58 pm

the problem is it wont be kept a secret, because before the movie comes out there will be previews when the actors go on the talk shows to promote the movie, and they will probably wind up showing the car.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 am

Not necessarily. That's how they could have everyone market it. Saying "We can't tell you what it is. You'll have to see the movie". And the previews can only show small bits like the scanner or the voice module but not the whole car. You won't see the car. But just a small portion that is not enough to get an idea what the car even is.

At least that is my idea for the previews and marketing. It can be kept a secret. Sorta like when they were doing some ads for Knight Rider Season 4 I think it was, where KITT was under a cover in the ads and Michael teased pulling off the cover or revealing KITT's new look but KITT chided him. :) I think it would be cool this way but not a car under a cover, but just a scanner, a voice box, a portion of a tail light, maybe a fog light. Or the view from the driver seat over the hood. Just enough for a tease but not enough to tell what car KITT is.

I think it would work rather well.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:00 pm

It's an interesting question. From a completely practical standpoint, I voted "no". I don't see how they can advertise a Knight Rider movie without showing the car. They could certainly have a few teaser trailers a few months early which maybe just show a scanner, but eventually they'll have to show a bit more. Also, the product placement deal is going to me worth SOOOO much money that I'm sure the car manufacturer will make sure the car is revealed as soon as possible.

From a strictly story-telling standpoint, sure it would be cool not to see the car until it's revealed in the movie. But I for one don't have the willpower NOT to know so I'd be trying to find spoilers everywhere I could.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:24 pm

they wouldn't be able to show much of the movie if they didn't show the car atleast once. everything they would show would have to involve other things, people talking, explosions and such. I think if they showed the car in the previews and it still had the red scanner a lot of old fans that may have forgotton all about knightrider and the such would remember after seeing that flashing light. If that sparked their interset enough they would go see the movie then.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:53 pm

I would count on not seeing the car until a full trailer is released, perhaps not even in a teaser trailer and most certainly not in a teaser poster.

I have heard suggestions on both sides of the fence on this matter. I would have loved to reveal the car (when it's chosen) at SDCC as a suprise bonus to a panel but alas the powers that be believe if you show the car and people don't like it, then they'll be like, "I've already seen the car, I don't need to see the movie."

If Glen and TWC choose to reveal the car before the movie's release it would be at some big press event like GM had for Transformers.

=VK=

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Some other things to consider...

KITT is a CHARACTER, not a prop. So in many ways, this is a casting decision. There's a new Star Trek movie coming out: would you expect them to keep the identity of Kirk hidden until the movie was released? When they do announce the new Kirk, the internet is going to explode. Lots of fans will be screaming about what a terrible choice it was and how the movie is going to be awful. And lots of fans will be cheering about what a perfect choice it was and that the movie is going to be great.

Something similar will happen with Knight Rider. They'll announce the car, and some people on this board will declare that they refuse to see the movie because they hate the car. Others will say how much they love the car. Some will post photoshops of the announced car with the scanner. And it will give us lots to talk about.

Looking at a small slice of history:

Sony made a half-hearted effort to keep the look of their new Godzilla under wraps until the movie was released. (There were plenty of stills on the internet, and the toys had already been made, but in the "official" advertising we didn't get to see Godzilla.) And it was a relative dud opening weekend. I'm not saying that's all because they didn't show the monster, but it may have been a factor.

Universal didn't show their CGI Hulk right away, and when they finally did reveal it in trailers, fans were disappointed. But the movie still had an opening weekend of $81 million.

It's a really bad idea to make generalizations based upon the performance of just a couple of movies. But I'll take the plunge and say that the studio is better off showing the new KITT early and letting it generate buzz (even if its negative) than keeping it under wraps and not giving fans something to talk about.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Michael you have a very good point there. Especially about KITT being a Character. But I think many who know Knight Rider always associate KITT with a *car* and not a character, despite episodes such as Soul Survivor, Chariots of Gold, and Killer KITT. When someone says KITT and Knight Rider, most envision a black Trans Am with a red scanner light that talks and turbo-boosts. The association is that strong.

So I can see where revealing the car earlier would be a benefit so that people can get used to the new look of KITT.

But is KITT the show? Or is it the plot and the story that make the show? If the story and plot aren't all that great (but we know it will be if Glen is writing it :) ) then without a great plot/story, KITT is going to be just as lackluster. KR2000 may be a good example of this for some.

But I think having the car revealed too soon isn't a great idea either. If not during the movie itself, maybe just a number of teaser trailers leading up to the movie with the last couple revealing the car, but maybe just a few months before the movie opens, and not before they finish filming it all or putting it all together.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:05 pm

I agree with Pajaro, I don't see how they could market a Knight Rider movie without showing the car...

However, once they reveal the car, KRO will be full of whining and complaining no matter what car they choose and it would be nice to skip that :P
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:41 pm

Whining over the new car is inevitable, people don't like change no matter how many ways you try to explain it. All you can do is hope that people with come around or adapt to the changes you present to them in a positive manner.

=VK=

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:21 pm

I will be the first to whine too.

They didn't use the new Challenger in the dukes of hazard remake, they didn't use anything other then a ford torino in starsky and hutch... the car is an icon and a character. You can't change it. But in some studio/advertising stunt for someone to make/save a little extra money we will have some current production car that is either poor in sales and needs some sort of marketing ploy other then a 30 second commercial spot to pour in the buyers. (Cough cough Michael Bay cough cough) I swear if he ends up a scion xb then someone somwhere should rot in hell.

With all due respect to Victor and Glen, I just disagree strongly. I don't get how Hasselhoff and KITT can appear together in other movies and tv shows, but legally with pontiac KITT can't be a Trans Am in his own movie, yet official merchandise and such is still coming out with KITT as a Pontiac.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:21 pm

I grow tired of this redundant arguement,

I am going to make a stop to this about original cars in remade movies right here and now. The Dukes of Hazzard took place in modern day but the car is not meant to be a super advanced car of the future...it's timeless with respect that it could be maintained and driven in the south and no one would question its age.

It's not unlike a car enthusiast keeping a classic car they like and keeping it maintained.

The car has no need to be modernized, its just a restored 1969 Dodge Charger with a unique paint job.

Starsky and Hutch did not take place in modern day, it took place in the 70s and their red-and-white Ford Torino was not meant to be ahead of its time either.

Neither was successful at the box office either, despite having the "original cars" in them. The car doesn't make the movie, the story and the characters do.

KITT is the car of tomorrow, ahead of its time with advanced techology and an advanced AI with abilities normal cars don't possess. This car has to look like it's ahead of our time now.

(Ok when I say KITT in this instance, I'm referring to the car even though we know KITT is the computer inside said car.)

The Knight Rider feature film will not take place in the 80s, therefore the Trans Am will not be a "car of tomorrow" in the film because it is set in modern day. The Trans Am is 25 years old, at the time of the tv series in the 80s it was brand new off the assembly line.

Sorry but you're just going to have to accept that fact, love the old car for what it is which is a work of art and an icon, then try to keep an open mind that times have to change and if you can't do that by then all means don't go see the movie, watch your DVDs.

I'm a fairly patient person but this is bordering on the rediculous, you're kicking a dead horse here.

Please stop using the Starksy and Hutch/Dukes of Hazzard defense as a basis for a complaint about the movie, it's redundant and pointless.

Lastly in regards to Pontiac, they do not consider KITT a "Trans Am" or a "Pontiac" they consider him a "T-Top". There are no Pontiac insignias on any of the KITT's being produced as toys/merchandise.

Also Merchandising rights differ greatly from theatrical and television rights.

I apologize if my post offends anyone here, it's not my intention to start conflict but this subject is just very tiresome.

=VK=

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:16 am

Victor, we're just kicking around some ideas and airing viewpoints.
Even though you're close to Glen the opinions of other KR fans are also important.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:59 am

I was referring to the topic msKEN brought up. Please don't lecture me on how to do my job.

=VK=

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 am

If it's a in a big trailer for the movie. It would be ok. But as a sneak peak leaked out of the production it would be *?$#.

I can't wait for this, but i don't really want to see any sneaks that's not officiall.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:01 am

Everyone please keep the discussions open and friendly, thank you.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:35 am

victor kros wrote: Lastly in regards to Pontiac, they do not consider KITT a "Trans Am" or a "Pontiac" they consider him a "T-Top". There are no Pontiac insignias on any of the KITT's being produced as toys/merchandise.
Yes there are. The MPC Knight Rider model car kit had the Pontiac dart logo on the bowling ball hubcaps. To keep accurate, model builders would often sand off the dart logo. That is just one of the inaccuracies I've found in model kits, however.

NOTE: The picture below shows a finished step in building he KITT model kit. The final step for the hubcaps will be to eventually paint them black.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Usually on close-ups of KITT's wheels on the show you can see the pontiac symbol anyway though.

I don't care what kind of inconvenient for business excuses they can come with, the fact that they didn't want KITT referred to as a Pontiac is yet another example of GM's immeasurable stupidity. Why the HELL would you not want such free advertising is absolutely beyond me.
Who cares if people ask for a KITT car, tell them there isn't one, it's STILL a Trans Am advertising. In GM's current state I bet they'd be dying for the advertisement. Or, hell, MAKE a limited edition KITT version. It would've sold like hotcakes.
Ugh, I know that's a little off topic, but that always ticked me off.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Fair enough, I will clarify.

That model kit was produced in 1985 when the car was still availible and on the air. Modern day representations of KITT from the Charawheels, Avon Starcars, Corgi, to the Joyride KITT/KARR's do not have pontiac emblems on the bowling ball hubcaps or the tailgate. KITT in the show rarely had them displayed either in the later seasons because of Pontiac's desire to distance themselves from it.

As far as GM is concerned, they don't care they're making a mint on their Transformers merchandise and vehicles used in the movie and their primary focus is on promoting the 09 camaro.

Even if by some sheer circumstance Pontiac said they would let Glen use the 82 Trans Am, it still doesn't hold up as the car of tomorrow, especially since the picture takes place in modern day.

The most you would hope to attain is some sort of cameo at best but then you're basically asking for the car and not so much "KITT" since he wouldn't be placed in the Trans Am regardless.

The bottom line in my opinion is if we get William Daniels attached to reprise the voice of KITT, make sure the car is sleek and black, and has a red scanner light on the front and have a solid story, all these concerns will be insignificant in the end.

=VK=

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:06 pm

Victor, I along with some others having been saying that last line of yours for years. As far as I'm concerned I go with the Soul survivor episode. KITT is the computer and not the car. To me it honestly would make no difference if KITT is a Trans AM, Solstice, Corvette, Koenigsegg or even the new Nissan GTR....it really shouldn't matter. Sleek, black powerful car is the basic concept and there are more than a few that can fill those requirements.

Problem is, like with Transformers, you'll always get the fundamentalist/traditionalist?? (we're all hardcore so you can't say that!) who expect KITT to be a TA and nothing else.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:49 pm

hey Victor,
i don't know when in the production process of the movie the car will get chosen, though i believe that it'll be only a few weeks or month before the shooting begins... so it's still quite some time 'til then.

i don't know either if you take suggestions on what the new car could be or if that decision is one from marketing alone.

anyway, i think this acura concept is worth a closer look:
http://www.automobilemag.com/multimedia ... r_concept/

there's just something about it that reminds me of the old trans am shape, but it's also modern, has that car of the future look to it.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 pm

victor kros wrote:Fair enough, I will clarify.

That model kit was produced in 1985 when the car was still availible and on the air.
Sorry, but the model kit made by AMT/Ertl says on the box:

(c) 2004 RC2 Brands, Inc
Dyersville, Iowa 52040-0500 USA

This is a re-release of the model Kit. And it does have the Pontiac logo on the bowling ball hubcaps.

You'd think if they re-released it in 2004 that they would at least made sure to shave off the Pontiac logo. :roll:

remote_jup
Recruit

Post by remote_jup » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 pm

I think it's a great idea to keep the new car a surprise until it premiers in the theatre.

In fact, I'd love to see a 'teaser' on, say, Conan O'Brian or such, where 'Michael' calls for KITT. (and all the footage is hand held and amateur.) The camera makes a cut to the entrance of the 'new car'...and it is all rusty, smoking really badly and truly obvious that it was randomly plucked out of an auto wrecking yard. "Oh, Michael. This is truly embarasing. Why did you ever allow me to fall into such disrepair..." Well, you get the idea as Conan's facial expression looks rather...odd...as the clip concludes.
This accout is only for use at unsecured public terminals by jup.