Purchased a mint condition Trans Am Model

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

James_kr
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Purchased a mint condition Trans Am Model

Post by James_kr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 am

I purchased this Monogram 1:24 Scale 82 Trans Am. I was wondering if anyone else here has this model? It says Molded in colour so I assume that means its already painted.

K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:50 am

"Molded in color" does NOT mean that it's painted. That just means that the plastic will be in that color. Since it is a red car, the body and other pieces will be red plastic. If you want to make the car look as realistic as possible you should paint it. (model spray paint or air brush)

If you don't paint the car, it will look like a plastic car - sometimes you can even kind of see through the plastic if you don't paint it. With model kits that are black (like KITT), I have had success just spray painting the black plastic with a Testor's clear coat spray paint - I think it looks painted and it gives it a good shiny finish!
One man did make a difference.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:13 am

Ok thanks :) I will definatley spray paint it. I doubt an old kit like that will have the best looking without a paint job. I am looking forward to working on it.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:09 am

i have the 83 version of that kit which has a targa style body (like a t-top but without the center bar). it is a very nice kit way more detailed then the MPC and later AMT/Ertl versions of the early 80s Trans Ams. Some examples:

the 'bowling ball' wheel covers are separate pieces and have the lug nut holes drilled out and have decals for the Pontiac logo for the centers. Interior is more detailed engraving wise and has separate armrests for the doors. the engine is more detailed you can actually see into the top of the crossfire air cleaner and see the dual round air cleaners that are visible on the 1/1 scale car with this engine with the hood up. On my car you have the option of having the headlights closed or open, dunno about the 82 version.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot