Gull-Wing Steering Wheel Illegal?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Whitestar
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Gull-Wing Steering Wheel Illegal?

Post by Whitestar » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:30 am

For years, I've dreamed about owning my very own KITT and with the popular KITT conversions out there, I'm seriously considering it. However, I've heard that things like the red scanner and the gull-wing steering are illegal in most states and countries. I know that the scanner is illegal because it confuses other drivers into thinking it's the police and or that the car is driving backwards, showing its tailights. But why is the gull-wing steering wheel considered illegal as well? Is it because it lacks the hand over hand turn?

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:38 am

I don't think the gullwing steering wheel is illegal. You can have a scanner but you cannot turn it on while driving.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:02 am

The reason why its illegal is because when driving ,your hands must be at 10 & 2 as in the face of a clock.For some reason I can imagine driving and not having the same amount of control with a wider wheel as you would with a regular class wheel.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:08 am

The reason why its illegal is because when driving ,your hands must be at 10 & 2 as in the face of a clock.For some reason I can imagine driving and not having the same amount of control with a wider wheel as you would with a regular class wheel.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Uh...there may be isolated places here and there where the gullwing steering wheel is illegal...but it's not in most places. It's perfectly legal where I am (Ohio). I don't even know of any places that have any laws about what kind of steering wheel you can have. With regard to the scanner, it would be perfectly legal to use it while driving as long as it's not red or blue (depending on area...you can't use any colors designated for emergency vehicles). Yellow would probably be fine in most places.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 am

In france even a stock T/A is illélgal

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:43 pm

It is only illegal if you have an airbag in the steering wheel from the factory in Massachusetts. since the 1982-1992 Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am did not have airbags. there should be no problem. I believe that is federal law too.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Starship
Recruit

Post by Starship » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 pm

I think that Firebirds and Camaros started coming equipped with driver side airbags around 1991 or so. As for the scanner, I guess it depends on where you live, but I know here in Florida, even a yellow scanner (which I have) would be illegal to use while driving. It's not just the color -- it's the flashing light effect. Of course, it's fine to have the scanner as long as it's not on while driving.
I try to put a little KITT in any car I own!

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:02 am

1990 was the year they put a driver side airbag in the F cars. they went to dual airbags in 93 in the new 4th generation. As far as i know you can remove the airbag wheel and replace it with a non airbag wheel.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:44 am

if your car came with an optional airbag and you removed it dont tell your insurance company unless you want your insurance to go sky high!! it is illegal to remove safety equipment from the car if it came from the factory. thats federal law. my advice, tell no one that you did this. or they will ratt you out!!
Last edited by CJaguar442 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Starship
Recruit

Post by Starship » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:04 am

CJaguar442 wrote:if your care came with an optional airbag and you removed it dont tell your insurance company unless you want your insurance to go sky high!! it is illegal to remove safety equipment from the car if it came from the factory. thats federal law. my advice, tell no one that you did this. or they will ratt you out!!
As much as I disagree with mandatory airbags, I would advise against this. If you disconnect (or remove) your airbag, and then you do not tell your insurance company, they may refuse to pay a claim if you or a passenger is injured in an accident. That could get very costly!
I try to put a little KITT in any car I own!

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:55 am

Pierre wrote:In france even a stock T/A is illélgal
That's interesting ... why is that? :?