GM cars being used in new Transformers movie

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

AusKnight2K
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

GM cars being used in new Transformers movie

Post by AusKnight2K » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:53 am

It looks like General Motors have finally seen the light and are allowing their cars to be used in new movies:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.asp ... id=4024776

GM cars are Autobots and the Fords are Decepticons ... :lol:
"While the yellow Camaro promises to be the eye-catcher in the movie, GM has three other prominent car characters in the film, making Transformers something of a GM coup for the big screen.

No one in the auto industry seemed to recall another movie where one automaker had so many vehicles playing major roles in one film. Remember, the Transformers in this movie are part and parcel of the story, not just used to cart actors around and provide background. And, in contrast with last year's Cars movie from Pixar, the major car characters are easily identifiable by make and model.

For example, in Transformers, Pontiac's Solstice has the role of Jazz, a gray hardtop 2-seat Autobot. Note that when the movie was in production, GM had only started selling the Solstice as a convertible. So, like the Camaro's Bumblebee, the Jazz Solstice is a car that still does not exist in showrooms.

Autobot Ratchet is played by a Hummer H2 that's modified to be a rescue vehicle. It's painted a fluorescent light green and has a winch and brush guard in front, shovels on its sides, and at least seven off-road lights on various light bars.

GM's other prominent character is Ironhide, played by a GMC TopKick pickup truck with Duramax diesel engine. The already tall truck is heavily modified with a winch, light bar and off-road, Extreme Terrain tires that are so large, they come to my waist when I stand next to them, and I'm 5 feet 4. "
Things are finally looking good once again! :dance:
:kittspin:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:24 pm

GM hasn't been all that shy with movies... They did a pretty big campaign to launch the new GTO by placing an old GTO in xXx (although the car didn't get a lot of screen time.) But yes, the Transformers tie-in is a much bigger deal and hopefully it will work well for them.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:00 pm

GM needs all the help they can get.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: