Volkswagen Passat = Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Should the Passat be avaliable for purchase within the next copule years?

Yes! Imagine me stepping out of Wall Mart calling for my car, just like in Knight Rider...
50%
No! The system will probably remain unstable and I can't be responsible for someone else's life...
50%

Total votes: 10

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Volkswagen Passat = Knight Rider

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed May 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Say goodbye to Pontiac because Volkswagen is now in charge of developing a new system that allows the car to drive by itself! The Passat is called "Lux" and was built by a company in Hamburg, Ibeo Automobile Sensor.
Volker Willhoeft, head of the team argues that the car has been equipped with two laserbeams at the front and back which allows it to recognize the road and together with the GPS satellite system the car is able to predict traffic conditions within a 180 meter radius.
The car is totally independent and with thanks to the advanced technology it is able to slow down when driving towards a speedbump, read off various of road signs and apply them as well.
The car will be avaliable for purchase within the next copule years if the government will allow it. There are some critical aspects of this system that may not allow the car to be released for the market, such as a normal computer error that could be subject to an individuals death...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Wed May 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Due to my track record with screwing up computers, I'd be hesitant to sit in what's basically a two-ton computer.
They still have a LOT of kinks to iron out with self-driving systems.
You could run a million programs on things that happen on the road and still run across a situation that's not in the system- here I've seen people drive on the wrong side of the road (on purpose), drive on the shoulder, stuff like that... and we also have an alarming trend for large rocks dropping on people's cars in the mountains.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Wed May 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Saw sometime ago somewhere a video about self driving VW Golf.
I voted no because self driving car is nice fantasy, in the perfect world where everything works always ok but in reality nothing is 100% reliable.
Especially when self driving car would get older, electric wire connections oxidize or get loose, computer malfunction, sensor malfunction, etc. might happen and the car might drive itself out of the road or head on collision with ten ton semi.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 pm

My printer just had a meltdown yesterday and it started spitting papers across the room.
I tell ya, I'm not good with technology. Machines tend to go postal when I enter the room.

Not to mention anyone with a computerized car would be pretty well hosed if the car got struck by lightning.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed May 16, 2007 11:42 pm

Cars are naturally grounded so if lightening struck, they still keep going.

The past 20 years, we have cars that have computers running the fuel-injection engines. yes, they can fail (I had the computer in my car fail so I replaced it). But, you do get indications of such, in the form of error codes.

On the self-driving note, I would imagine that DMVs would add some new regulations for yearly or regular inspections where self-drive operations would have to also be tested (via computer, etc.) and pass or the car isn't going to be getting a sticker. And if you drive without your inspection sticker - you know the routine. Might even be more stricter penalties for smart cars. And there probably would be regulation saying that all smart cars have to have manual override working (again and inspection item, I'd imagine) and that all smart cars are to have a licensed driver behind the wheel and alert to take over in case of computer failure. IOW, you can't pull a Michael Knight and have KITT drive you while you sleep in the driver's seat. :)

So while some may be hesitant about these new cars (which I imagine would be released in the other countries long before they would be in the USA), I'm sure at least in the US, these cars will be followed by new laws and regulations to further help to ensure their safety on the road, and stiffer penalties for those not taking the necessary precautions.

I enjoy computers and cars both. I work with both (computers more than cars though). Anything can go at any time. Even in cars we have now. You could blow a tire, lose control and kill someone (or yourself). Things happen anyway. Having an autonomous smart car may not reduce risk (or it may) but I don't think it'll increase risk either.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Thu May 17, 2007 8:22 am

Egad! ... If it runs a M$ operating system, then it will crash all by itself! ... Image

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu May 17, 2007 11:32 am

:lol: Yeah, well, to the credit, I have had very good stability with XP Pro SP2, actually. But know what I will put on the PC I hope to get and put in my own car? Linux! :)

I wonder what runs some of the other embedded systems in the newest cars we have today - the ones with electronic auto-cruise (some do slow down/speed up with traffic conditions as necessary), safety lane change (ie. won't change lanes unless you signal and/or it's safe), OnSat, GPS, and other stuff like climate control, etc. We already have cars available with a LOT of microchips running quite a few things. I'd imagine that they'd probably try to use a known to be stable archetecture for autonomous driving.

Or at least, I would hope. I seriously think that if the public found Microsoft software in the car, they simply would not purchase it. Although MS has been trying to get into the embedded systems business for some time, I don't think too many will jump on the bandwagon after experiencing all the service packs, updates, security problems, (and as some know all to well), crashes and general instability of their consumer desktop products.

IOW, I think the automobile engineers will need to use other types of software and OS to at least make the vehicle more marketable.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Thu May 17, 2007 1:38 pm

I will be more confident with this system in a german or japanese car than in a GM .
My 89 AUDI is like a rock no rust (rustproof) no crack no noise no cable oxydation ,nothing .Still drive like a new car.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri May 18, 2007 4:58 am

Volkswagen Passat!? He's a german as well...? :?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Something similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgvjS6-sF8&NR=1

Such a rip off of KITT, it has a red "scanning eye" at the front :lol:
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri May 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Ummmmm the Volkswagen does not weigh two tons...... and is that a bland body design or what....?

I take all that tech & shoe-horn it into a 1985 Chrylser Laser or a 85-2K4 T/A (of course I'd have choice of the wing-spoiler myself & not the stock one used on the last round of pontiac firebirds,etc....sheeesh! )

bUHHHHH, that's just me & I'm sticking to it....!

KARR, let's Roll....!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri May 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Saw that video before. I agree - impressive. Notice the "53 + 1" on the side? Herbie - v. 1.0? :lol:

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Fri May 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Is that big red button south of the gearshift the panic button?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:36 am

AusKnight2K wrote:Egad! ... If it runs a M$ operating system, then it will crash all by itself! ... Image
Oh, I've been warning that for years.

Here's how I would go about preparing a self driving vehicle.

1) Build regular vehicles for YEARS that have sensors and record driving situations and reactions. Their owners must know they are apart of a long term program and their driving habits are being constantly recorded by the on-board computer.

2) After, say, 10 to 20 years of gathering data on just about all potential driving situations and solutions possible, put the gigantic database to work in a simulated world and test, test, test for any driving errors the sim vehicle makes. (It amazes me with the powerful engine the Grand Theft Auto games use. Stay at an intersection long enough and the automated vehicles will fail horribly. What ought to be calculated order becomes seemingly random chaos with an attempt at balance and gridlock.)

3) Install a fully functional version and test, test, test in the real world. Also, have a dedicated testing department do anything and everything to sabotage multiple lab computer units and force the system to do deadly things like making the gas pedal stick open, locking the breaks up or suddenly turning the wheel when problems arrise. Destroy circuit paths. Damage components. Bang the thing around. It must be as bulletproof as physics will allow or it could take lives.

4) Insure that this driving program remains the firm and untouched source FOR ALL future auto pilot vehicles...unless such changes are absolutely necessary. After all, the vehicle industry has a horrible symptom of wanting to reinvent the wheel every few years. Starting this system over from scratch every couple years is truly asking for major troubles.

5) NEVER allow third parties to build accessories or add-on programs for it. It must remain as single minded and independant as possible. If it makes wireless connections or anything, it could be corrupted by a cyber terrorist. After all, they make virii for cel-phones, now. If your cel-phone loses it's air time minutes is nothing in comparison to if your car drives itself to the football game and tries to run down all Humans in sight, because of a terrorist protocol. (KR already explored this nightmare theory, somewhat.) There's the problem. Someone's gonna wire it up with GPS and probably potential for upgrades on the fly. Perhaps, a remote kill switch through On-Star. Flashy graphics interface skins? Instant potential for security compromise. Just takes someone smart enough to find that flaw. Then, your vehicle may refuse to drive for you, regulate you to driving 15 mph to cause havic or set your car up as a missile.

Speaking of which...the local news just had an ad about the dangers of using some around the house machines that run on automatic. What timing.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:41 am

I'd never own a Volkswagen if my life depended on it.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:51 am

I think Volkswagen is making a good effort in terms of the safety, especially in the new Passat models. The car is also very similar to Audi and they are both Germans, so safety and comfort are probably one of their greatest expertise!

I would feel much safer in one of those instead of a Trans Am without any airbags to protect you from head-diving out the window upon an impact...

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:40 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I'd never own a Volkswagen if my life depended on it.
I used to have an old VolksWagon Diesel Rabbit truck. Fun thing to drive. But, it was getting old. This one day on the freeway, (Thankfully) it decides to give itself a modification. The darn thing starts sucking it's own fumes back into the engine block...which has a similar effect of adding Nitrous Oxyde to a gasoline burning engine. The truck pulls a Herbie and bursts into speeds it would never normally pull off. (I laugh to say 60 MPH and up. But, it be true.) Taking the foot off the gas only made it go faster, that day. But, my favorite oddity from those few moments was the fact that the truck had no warning light for what was going on...so it turned on the "Fasten Seat Belt" light for the whole ride, instead.

Totoally off topic: Just bought Buck Rodgers on DVD. Both seasons for a low price. I haven't seen this since XETV stopped running their 3 hour sci-fi block on Saturday Mornings. (Oh, how times change. XETV, which ran Buck, Battle and something else is now FOX. KTTY had Knight Rider back then and is now KSWB.) Funny how I didn't remember it being like Battlestar in effects, only cheesier.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:06 pm

As for the VW you had, that was a pretty funny story. :lol: And I believe every bit of it! Our cars (and trucks) sometimes do have a bit of a sense of humor. "Fasten seatbelt" - now THAT was funny! :lol: Dryden does have lights for some things so I can always go grab the engine blink code and generally have a clue as to what is wrong (he's ODB I).

As for Buck Rogers, I have the full collection in one set. All episodes. I loved that show too and still watch episodes from time to time. I always loved that flat-headed robot Chricton. :lol:

The guy who did his voice would have been good as KARR too, come to think of it.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Sherman's fuel tank light went on one time... on 1-70 westbound, and we spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell the light meant. Apparently, if the lid on the gas tank is loose, the warning light for it is a giant screw. (?)
So we took it literally as "you're screwed" until I found the picture in the owner's manual.

Back on topic... Volkswagen. Yeah. Never had one, don't think we ever will. It's a drag to get a foreign car fixed around here. They also disappear in the snow drifts when you slide off the road.
No self-respecting mule trainer would drive a Volkswagen anyway. :)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 am

Even though I don't have to worry about it (my car is American made), the garage I take my car to will fix both foreign and domestic cars.