Hasselhoff Interview -- Includes Movie/TV Series Info

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Joe Huth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:00 am

I really can't see a new Knight Rider series on NBC. If there's a new series, I think it will be syndicated...

Joe

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:24 am

Lost Knight wrote:My issue with this is really NBC because of their track record with sci-fi shows (i.g. Knight Rider, Viper, Quantum Leap, Surface and Threshold to name a few). It's not even really just the sci-fi shows but anything that isn't a reality show, medical drama, or sit-com. But then again, David seems to have a magic touch where everything he tries out turns to gold (Click and America's Got Talent have done quite nicely despite not being the highest quality of movie/series).

I can see a new series following the same path that Viper did, by starting off a particular way on NBC, getting canceled, and later resurrected on another network like the Sci-Fi Channel.
I'm surprised Hasselhoff would even bother approaching NBC about a new series, given his own past experience with the cancellation of Baywatch.

And Sci-Fi isn't really a great place for KR either... Sci-Fi is underfunded, and their in-house productions are of dubious quality. Their best shows are either co-produced with networks from other countries (BSG, SG-1, SGA) or are licensed reruns (Doctor Who). And now they're padding out their schedule with pro wrestling. :roll:

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 am

JL wrote:
I'm surprised Hasselhoff would even bother approaching NBC about a new series, given his own past experience with the cancellation of Baywatch.
I think it's worth remembering that Hasselhoff's relationship with NBC is the same as his comments regarding Larson: it's all Business. He wants a new TV series, and NBC hold the cards. He's not going to get anything from them if he burns his bridges -- and nor are we. Besides, he always said he was eternally grateful to NBC for Knight Rider and cancelling Baywatch (if they didn't cancel it, he would never have walked away with the rights, and wouldn't be half as rich as he is now). :)
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 pm

I would love to see either version of Knight Rider but I would actually prefer a series. And I agree that putting it on NBC would be a bad idea. I was thinking maybe airing it on the USA Network, since they're owned by NBC and have a some pretty good original series like Monk, The Dead Zone, and the 4400, which are not the typical show you see on the big networks.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:46 pm

abc put lost on tv I think Knight Rider would have a much better chance. With so many fans they would get a lot of big ratings.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:50 pm

I didn't expect the majority to go for a series. It goes to show how unconfident we mostly are in a new film.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:06 am

The movie stands a much better chance of being successful with David involved than it does with him not involved in the foreign market especiallly.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:13 pm

I rather have a movie, we had a series allready so let it be. With a movie its more fun to watch. Also it will be compared to Starsky & Hutch and Dukes of Hazzard which were both flops.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:11 am

I rather have a movie, we had a series allready so let it be. With a movie its more fun to watch. Also it will be compared to Starsky & Hutch and Dukes of Hazzard which were both flops.
That's exactly what im talking about. They had strong starts but the audience left them and they died quickly. People want serious continuations for their movie's not insulting remakes with new casts.

Even Miami Vice flopped. It was done with series original producer Michael Mann. It was a serious remake and it still flopped because it didn't have the original cast. That is why David still hopes Larson will include him in the script because that is what the public really wants.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Ok here's my take:

If there is a remake, no Hoff of course, get some fresh meat. We would need someone like Mark Wahlberg (Italian Job) or Paul Walker (Fast & Furious). A different car (Vette) and the same story but in todays prespective.

If it is a reunion/continuation have Hoff as the Devon figure and bring in someone like his son to take on the fight and keep the "one man can make a difference". Although there would be KITT/MK reunion and all that b/s. Also KARR and maybe even Garthe teaming.

As much as I like a reunion, I think a remake would be better since some people don't know about Knight Rider as well and it might interest them more, although the die-hard freaks like me would rather have a reunion. Thank God Glen A. Larson in helping since he is the original creator.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:09 pm

If a "Knight Rider" movie and/or TV show happens, great, but I'm not holding my breath right now.
Still, a very good and intense interview about D. Hasselhoff anyway.....

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:55 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:I think it's worth remembering that Hasselhoff's relationship with NBC is the same as his comments regarding Larson: it's all Business. He wants a new TV series, and NBC hold the cards. He's not going to get anything from them if he burns his bridges -- and nor are we. Besides, he always said he was eternally grateful to NBC for Knight Rider and cancelling Baywatch (if they didn't cancel it, he would never have walked away with the rights, and wouldn't be half as rich as he is now). :)
Funny you should mention that; after all these years, I finally got a copy of Knight Rider Legacy, and saw where Hasselhoff thanked NBC for cancelling Baywatch.

I can see why he's approaching NBC about a new series... they're in the toilet at the moment, their only breakout hit this season being Heroes. The question I have is whether a new KR involving Hasselhoff would be serious or silly. Like William Shatner, a lot of Hoff's current popularity comes from his self-parody ("Jump In My Car," and his appearances in Dodgeball and Spongebob), so I wonder if the network would want the new series to play up the silly aspects the way Shatner does on Boston Legal.

Obviously, the humor was a major aspect of what made KR work, but it wasn't self-parody, at least not most of the time.

Modo
Volunteer

Post by Modo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:41 pm

I think I'll be completely greedy and have a new series, a movie, an animated series and a series of games for the Xbox 360. Playstation 2 and the PC got KR games and the other consoles were ignored.

I think a new series would do extremely well provided that the show was given a slightly bigger budget today. A movie with a big budget would be awesome, but I don't think he would have a huge budget as it could dent the possibility of how a series would do, just look what happened to South Park's Season three after they had done the movie. That suffered immensely. Granted; it was an animated show, but it's the same principle being used.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Re: Hasselhoff Interview -- Includes Movie/TV Series Info

Post by David Whiteheart » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:48 pm

Back when the movie rumors started several years ago, when David had "Knight Rider is coming" on his site, he had mentioned the movie and the series would possibly go in seperate directions. IF he is still sticking to his original plan the movie may not be the best way to springboard a new revamped KITT for TV. Granted if he sticks with a continuing plot from the movie it'd be great!

Now they tried bringing KITT back as KIFT in the early 90's and the movie ratings on NBC must not have been good enough since that's as far as it went. I think it was the red modified Dodge Stealth used in the TV movie that killed the ratings. KITT is always a Black Trans Am to its original fans and will always be seen that way. If they try to change it it won't work.

If the series is coming back to TV any time soon, I think it would survive longer in sydication, like Viper did after it's one month showing on NBC in the 90's, than on NBC. Granted most networks are trying to get away from the many haha comedies now since the ratings are higher on crime shows and serial drama's such as 24. So the new KITT would probably have a great chance of survival if NBC went the serial series route. Where if you miss an episode, like on 24, you're lost in the plot for a while. It seems that's the only way TV is going to grab and keep an audience these days.

I'm glad to see that David owns the rights to the show at least we know it's in good hands. Like the Dukes of Hazzard is owned by Ben Jones who played Cooter.

Dave