new kitt could be 1992 trans am

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T UK
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

new kitt could be 1992 trans am

Post by K.I.T.T UK » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:41 pm

the new kitt could be the 1992 trans am as they look the same

what do you think
im warning you devon im going to put this thing to the test

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:54 pm

I would say highly unlikely.

As much as I like the look of the older Trans Ams, if KITT is supopsed to be "the car of the future" it doesn't make much sense for him to be in a 15-year old body. Imagine in 1982 if KITT appeared as a 1968 Firebird. That choice of retro-styling MIGHT have worked, but we'd have a different show.

Also, for better or worse I expect product placement will have a huge influence on the decision of what car to use. Car manufacturers may not want to pay tens of millions of dollars to promote a car that people can't buy.

K.I.T.T UK
Recruit

Post by K.I.T.T UK » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:07 pm

ok what about the 2002 pontiac trans am

but in black

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:12 pm

I think the same arguments apply... The 2002 Trans Am will already be 6-7 years old when the movie comes out, and people can't buy a new 2002 Trans Am. Don't get me wrong- I love the idea of KITT staying a Trans Am. But from a practical standpoint, I think KITT will be a car that consumers can run out of the theater and go buy. Unfortunately, that may mean KITT could be some other model. It's a fantastic marketing opportunity which will be hard to pass up.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:50 pm

Well, Look at Herbie. Look at the General Lee. They were in movies and not much changed (if at all) from original. I don't think we should change KITT either (or KARR for that matter). I'm sure if they did a movie on Christine, they'd use a Plymouth Fury. The car made the show. In those cases, only the same car will do. While I did like KR 2000, I think it was still a big mistake to put KITT in a different car, let alone 2 different cars.

Besides, KITT has shown up in a cameo or two recently and been "around" the small screen here and there as just what he was before: an '82 T/A (or in that era). So even new fans are starting to understand who and what KITT is. Putting him in another car would confuse things.

I think many people know what car KITT is and will expect him to appear the same in the movie.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:05 am

The difference with Herbie, The General and Christine is that they were never meant to be "the car of the future". Even when the Dukes first premiered, the car was already intentionally old. Christine was intentionally a classic car. That was part of the plot.

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 am

I believe that they must use the old car and a new one. So everybody will be happy.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:43 am

Even if KITT still looks the same, he could still be the "car of the future" with some new technology added. I don't know of any cars with talking AIs in them that are so advanced they have personality, or that can turbo-boost, or are indestructable. Some MAY drive a LITTLE by themselves, but not much (they are still working on that). Adding digital recording (well, he had that as well), and a couple other things, he's still very much the "car of the future". And NOTHING looks like KITT these days. Or as good, IMHO. I hate most cars out these days. The newer ones all look alike - like jellybeans. I wouldn't want to see KITT as a jellybean!

KNIGHT10000
Volunteer

KITT Should Be This Trans am.

Post by KNIGHT10000 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:05 pm

I have post these photos like 2 0R 3 times in this web board.

There was a rumor back in 2002 when the Trans Am and Camaro where taken out of sales; that this car could have been the new Trans Am for 2004 or 2005.

Imagine this car all black with Tan Leather interior and that in Real Life you could have the Power Of 500HP++.

This could have been one of the Greatest Trans Am to hit the Street.

But it only came to be a Show Car and nothing more.

(Sorry for the Big Photos but this are the only size of photos the website offers).

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Even if KITT still looks the same, he could still be the "car of the future" with some new technology added.
Yeah, and they did do that for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th season runs of Knight Rider.
You have to remember that 20 years have gone by since Knight Rider ended as a series and that the general masses are NOT KR fanatics as we hard core fans are here, and not everybody out there is into old Trans Ams. Even by 1986, the '82 T/A concept was no longer new.
You need to use a car that will apeal to the general masses and today's generation. There's been a lot of innovation in automotive design and technology over the last 24 years and using an old 82 Trans Am would just not work for the 'car of the future' in the 21st century. Sorry guys and gals. As partial as I am to the old Trans Ams myself, I do realize that the 'new' KITT will have to be a new model of car.
One of the reasons why I own an old Trans Am is so that I can re-live the fond memories of KITT version 1 and have a life-sized real model of him. :wink:

What Michael Pajaro has stated is bang on the money. Don't hold your breath for KITT to be a 3rd gen Trans Am. Just isn’t going to happen...Unless they use an 'old' KITT and 'new' KITT type of idea, but again, I wouldn't hold my breath.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:59 pm

They used the old T/A version of KITT in many things already now days, so people are getting familiar with him. David's music videos, Cameos in Herbie and another movie I keep forgetting what it was now. If they are using KITT in movies now as a cameo, and in videos, etc. as he already is, then people are getting familiar with him and they already know who KITT is.

I think ideas of having it start with an old T/A and then having KITT put in a new T/A after something happens is a good one. And it would be true to the show as KITT went from a T/A with an almost-normal '82 T/A nose (just a scanner added on) to a few nose changes (grille like then open fog lights), and changes in technology and upgrades (esp. after he was nearly destroyed a few times). Thus, I think that if they use a new car, they should at least start with the old first. I think even DH hinted that they were thinking along those lines.

I just hope they don't make KITT into one of those common jellybeans. :( Seems cars are way to rounded and no real character to them these days.

If they want KITT to look truely futuristic, they have to really do something very different from what we see on the road today. And no "Big Red Tomato" look, even in black!
:lol:

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:34 pm

If they used a new C6 or even a newer generation of Vettes when they come out, now that would be cool. Nothing wrong with using a Corvette. :wink: It's prolly the closest thing to a KITT body style that you're gonna get today.
:D

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:07 am

i would love to have them use a 93-97 TA like my 95 for example....that is if they aren't going to stick with the original 82 design

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:43 am

When I look at KITT I don't see him as dated I think the 82 Trans Am will never really date its a very tough and good looking car.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

K.I.T.T UK
Recruit

Post by K.I.T.T UK » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:15 pm

thats why i said use the 2002 trans am its just as good and the latest trans am

Skyknight
Recruit

Post by Skyknight » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Again, why would they use a 10-12 year old car? There is nothing new about a 93-97 Trans Am.

Even if they go with an 'old KITT' / 'new KITT' type plot line, don't be expecting to see a 4th gen car in there anywhere. It would be the original car and then something COMPLETEY brand new. NEW people! :P :lol:
I know that there have been a lot of fan 'interpretations' of a fourth gen type KITT, but that's all it will ever be, a 'fan concept'. Some conversion companies have even offered 'Knight inspired' type parts for a fourth gen conversion, but don't let this confuse you that there was or will ever be a KITT constructed from a '93 - '02 Firebird/Trans Am. Just won't happen.
I mean, don't get me wrong here, I love the idea of a 'Knight Inspired' 4th gen car, but I'm just trying to be realistic here. :wink:

Again to re-iterate what Michael Pajaro already stated,
Michael Pajaro wrote:Also, for better or worse I expect product placement will have a huge influence on the decision of what car to use. Car manufacturers may not want to pay tens of millions of dollars to promote a car that people can't buy.
Like I said, the new Corvette is probably the closest thing to a KITT type of body style you will find in today's car market. However, that doesn't mean that will be the car they use in the movie. Don't be surprised if the car they do use isn't even a GM! 8)

BTW...
pdennis93, that is one nice looking 95 you've got there! :D

Nilton

octopus7
Volunteer

Post by octopus7 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:18 pm

I still think they should use the trusty 82 trans am, as to me that is what KITT has and always will be.
Check out my 3D artwork
http://octopus7.deviantart.com/

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:54 am

Skyknight wrote: Like I said, the new Corvette is probably the closest thing to a KITT type of body style you will find in today's car market. However, that doesn't mean that will be the car they use in the movie. Don't be surprised if the car they do use isn't even a GM! 8)
If they use a new Kitt, and it can't be a TA, then it must be a GM car. Period. Nothing else will do.

We don't want another disaster like Team Knight Rider which was anything except GM cars ... :evil: :roll:
:kittspin:

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:10 pm

they could keep the 82 trans am and make the dash similar to the series but a little bit updated like they could have a Sony LCD (theres your product advertising) a stereo system, an xbox 360, dvd playing systems. I want KITT's dash to be where it was in Season 4 except with updated parts. I like the way the dash is set out in all the seasons how the TV curves towards the driver I think that should be the same. I am sure if they can make a movie with a 60's VW Bug, a Dodge Charger that isn't made anymore they can make a movie with a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"