A brief look at Car movies

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K2000kid
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

A brief look at Car movies

Post by K2000kid » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:52 am

Starsky and Hutch - Red and White Torino (Trivia Anyone remember what they called it?)
Dukes of Hazzard - Orange Dodge Charger R/T
And Herbie was still a 1960-something VW, why would they even think of a NEW KITT

ALL these movies are based on past shows in which the car became as big as the show itself and in the big screen versions they always stuck with the original.
I bet a replica owner out there has already contracted their car for the new movie and signed a "secrecy clause" and I firmly believe that Kitt is gonna be the same 82 Pontiac we all know and love

And thats all i have to say about Thayyattt
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Why are these three movies constantly used as a justification as to why KITT "needs" to remain in the same car?

Starsky and Hutch the movie took place in the 70's so it would be ridiculous if there was a brand new car.

For the Dukes, even when the series was on TV in the 80's The General was already an older vehicle. Plus it still wouldn’t be unheard of today to find a couple of rednecks driving around the backcountry in a 60’s muscle car.

Herbie is a Disney classic and is "magical, " not any type of technology. He is the VW so it's not like you could just drop him in a new car.

Now here's why I think KITT should get a make over. I'm sure I'll get hell from some people, but try to remember it's just my opinion. :)

In 82 the third gen Trans Am was a futuristic looking car, so KITT fit well in it. Today it's now over 20 years old. To me it just doesn't seem realistic to put state of the art technology into something that's now out of date. If the movie is to be a continuation from the series I could definitely see having the original T/A make an appearance, but later be upgraded to something modern. But if the movie is going to be a rewrite of the pilot like the Weinsteins said it might be, only a new car would make sense.

I understand we all don't agree on what we believe is best for the movie and I respect other’s views and opinions. It’s what the forum is all about. I just don't want to see this thread turn into a vicious debate.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Let the debate begin :lol:

In my opinion KITT should be KITT... meaning a trans-am of the 80's.
Don't forget that Knight Rider was a show of the 80's and just like Dukes Of Hazard, the new movie should take place in the same time period, meaning the 80's.
And there is more: Herbie in the latest movie is still the same Herbie of years ago, and even in a more modern time. So why should KITT change? We all like him they way he is, don't we?

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:23 pm

In 82 the third gen Trans Am was a futuristic looking car, so KITT fit well in it. Today it's now over 20 years old
Hmmm never quite thought that way about it.

I stand convinced that KITT needs a fresh Start not sure about using an existing vehicle though There isn't a single car in production today that would do Kitt justice, KITT needs to be a concept car of some kind, one that makes people go "what the hell was that ?!" Forget about keeping a low profile Kitt needs to be BAD as hell so people DO notice
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:55 am

my opinion is that KITT should stay the way he is because:
A. If he is designed into a new car I have doubts his dash will have anything that makes sense. It would probably end up having screens everywhere with all this random goverment data going up and down the screen for no reason at all.

B. There are plenty of replica company's ie: mck's. To build the 80's KITT's and we would see some nice looking dashes.

C. Expensive new cars would never be used in good looking stunts it would be too much CGI. They can probably use an old t/a and maybe do some real stunts.

D. KITT still looks futuristic today. Compared to the plastic designed cars of today.

Thats my big debate. I really don't want to see some dodgy CGI.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:07 am

The More good old T/a's they wreck in a film...the less there are to use as replicas and then become even rarer in some parts to find.
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:13 am

i am sure they can find some old junky ones to use. Not all of them will be refurbished. Not all of them are completley safe
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

car movies info

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:51 am

For Starsky & Hutch the car was dubbed the red tomato
Viper-the defender and the was a 1 pilot episode-movie that had Crystal
Bernard (Wings) driving around in a modified Ford Probe-a hybrid of both models/body styles of the car...it had a computer with a torso attached- which looked like one of the robots from mystery science theatere 3000
and a few gadgets that Q ( from the James Bond movies ) would like.

anyone remember the movie black moon rising....?
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Jay_n1
Operative

Post by Jay_n1 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm not sure myself, I think in the case of General Lee and Herbie, the car was the character. where as KITT, it wasn't really the car itself but what was in it.. Now I belive he should be a trans am but if he is updated in the movie as I think he would be, I would expect they would use a newer car.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Hm.... i really prefer Knight Rider continuity and want to see new KITT, ofcourse it must look like K.I.T.T., scanner, black paint job, pop-up lights and another important things for K.I.T.T. I wanna, that movie will be based in these times, so KITT must look new, better than cars in the streets, but not too much, it haven't be Lamborghini Diablo, Ferrari... ant other expensive cars, i think 4th generation T/A is perfect for this, maybe just with some modifications. I think KR continuity is better then back to 80s, i think after the movie, they should make TV series, i think it can make more KR fans, like us, we love the old KR, but we should to got new fans, which is kids now, i think then we can get more movies, tv series of KR, and then KR could be non-ended TV show 1982-2056 .. :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't wanna, that KR goes to end, i wanna that KR never ends :wink:

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:26 am

K.I.T.T was a 1982 Pontiac firebird and must remain like this. In my opinion
the 4th gen firebird looks also dated. So if they have to use a new car it must be a completly new car. The best thing to do is to use the old and a new car, so everybody will be happy.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:43 am

I agree.
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:17 pm

Introduce KITT in the original '82 at the beginning of the film, then update him with a new and improved look during.....

Herbie, the Gen. Lee, and the Torino are iconic in their own right. On the other hand, consider this: KITT changed throughout the 4-season run of the series, just in different changes that did not physically alter him much on the outside (and SPM cannot be considered, because it was concealed in normal Cruise mode). Season One introduced his new voice modulator, season 2.....not so much, season 3 we saw the new dash with new functions, and season 4 introduced SPM and EBS, with various "one-liner" gizmos and gadgets that came and went through the course of the show.

Also, consider this: KITT is a technological marvel and far more superior than the Lee, Herbie, etc. We would have to assume that, for the sake of IF they decide to shoot the film in the 21st century timeframe, KITT will be updated with all the latest technology (and also consider that some of KITTs systems have been somewhat realized in this day and age). Technology changes as time progresses...why have KITT looking like an outdated car (hate to say it, but...) when he could be updated technologically, as well as cosmetically? Sure, he could easily out-run any getaway car, but wouldn't it look just a tad bit conspicuous if you were in the 21st century, trying to get away in a more modern-looking car, then look in your rear-view mirror and say to yourself, "What's that old thing doing chasing me?" So, there's several ways of looking at this. It may not make much sense at first, but....

I for one, welcome the change. Technologically speaking, KITT will need to change.
Cosmetically.....who will know?

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:23 pm

just a couple of cars that could look good

MG X-Power SV-R
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mg_xpowersv-r.asp

Prodrive P2
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Prodrive-P2.htm
concept car:- built just because:- 1 in existence

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:40 am

For Starsky & Hutch the car was dubbed the red tomato
Actually the car was called the Striped Tomato, but you got tomato in there : )

Ok lets post pics of NORMAL cars that would make the perfect KITT
no concepts allowed.

PSP or PhotoShop if you'd like

heres an '02 Corvette Z06, very Knight Rider if i do say so myself

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:14 am

HEY ,Some time ago I saw online..2 cars that'd be a contender for KITT & KARR

KITT: a retooled/body enhanced 1985 Chrysler Laser XE-Turbo....kinda nascar like but no decals.....

KARR:a 84/85 Camaro Berlinetta with the digital dash options pkg...shoe-horned in a V6/ turbo...t'was gray colored...
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:55 pm

thoses cars suck I really hate there lines look more dated than the 82 TA
maybe the new corvette :? Look the new camaro with older line juste because designer don't find a new look ,and if they find car generally look like crap it's the reason why ford with the mustang and chevrolet with the camaro uses old design with a modern touch.
For me the perfect combo.

Starship
Recruit

Post by Starship » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:15 pm

The design of any new KITT could go one of several ways. The original Trans Am is still a sleek, modern looking car, so they could just use the design, but maybe dress it up a bit with some side scoups and/or a spoiler. Or, they could go to a 4th gen Trans Am, though that may not work well because it has been discontinued (yes, the original Trans Am version has also been discontinued, but that has a tie to the original TV show). I also like the idea of using a Corvette. Or, if it takes long enough to make a movie (or whatever), they can go with the new 2009 Camaro, when it comes out.

The main things are that it not cost too much more than the average car (just like the original Trans Am) so that it doesn't stand out too much, and that it remains a sleek 2-door coupe or liftback. No SUV's, vans, 4-door sedans, or wagons!
I try to put a little KITT in any car I own!

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 am

Why not just use a 2002 Trans Am?, It's modern, But still holds the continuity.

frank_knight
Recruit

Post by frank_knight » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:05 am

KITT was a 1982 Trans-Am. No matter what, if you make this movie with any other car than a 1982 Trans Am, it will not be Knight Rider.
Knight Rider 2000 was supposed to be a TV movie that was going to grab the audience from the 80's show, and obviously new viewers, to reinvent the franchise. Look how well that went!-they killed off Devon, (even though edward mullhare lived for another 6 years-we could have had 6 great seasons)...replacing him with a jerk like Maddock, who had no resepect for the heritiage of the foundation or Wilton Knight..They made Michael Knight a total waste in that film, focusing on Shawn McCormick?? (what kind of dimwittied crime fighter she was!)...and, most importantly,, KIFT...KIFT!! whats a kift!!!???? it doesnt roll off the tounge as classic as KITT. Sure, it looked cool, but the dash was lame, the color was red...RED. How unnoticable for a crime fighting car. (obviously sarcasm!)
I think that all of our hopes for KR the motion picture is going to be sequels, or another reinvention of the franchise for TV. So, hopefully they wont make the same mistakes they did in 1991.
"I am the voice of Knight Industries Two Thousands, microprocessor.... K.I.T.T. for easy reference, KITT if you prefer."

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 am

There are some good cars out there that would make great, modern KITT's.

I do believe that the show had the right idea with constantly upgrading...without blowing...KITT's image throughout the years. So, my vote is as an upgraded KITT...but, not something radically different.

KR2000...KR2010...TKR...all went for radically different vehicles. All...these...sucked. (Well...the TKR bikes wern't so bad.) Makes me fearful of how badly the new KITT could wind up as. Keeping a partial tie in with the original look of KITT is a must. Modernized and sleeker lines seems a no brainer. But, let it have that Trans-Am feel in the process.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:36 am

Miami Vice has always have ferrari's.