things not so good

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

things not so good

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:44 am

well had my kitt for a few weeks but my family want me to get rid of it, its been a real knightmare for me , any way not going too much into details cause its pretty personal stuff..
im hoping i can keep kitt, but its an uphill battle
kitts website
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400594
--knightman--

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Sell the Mazda LOL

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:17 pm

3 reasons to keep KITT:
1. It looks better than the mazda
2. The Dog prefers KITT
3. It may be the best one your going to find

3 reasons not to keep KITT:
1. Money Issues (this car may take up some petrol as a comuter car)
2. In fact its really all money issues if its too expensive to deal with it may have to be a sacrifice
3. I can't say a third reason its all really to do with money. I would have a look at my finances and then see if you can find a loophole.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Replicas, even external only are VERY hard to keep up and are very expensive, so I've heard from a few other replica builders. And with the price of today's gas, it's even worse. Which is why I wanted the L4 I saw earlier this year. If I had the money to purchase and keep up the car's maintenance and do the conversion, and if it was automatic, I would have had it.

Even gas cost issues aside, just getting the parts - nose, a decent scanner, paint job, then if you go interior, pmd seats, reupholstering, electronics, new dash. Looks like your car will need a new spoiler too, to be more like KITT. It's expensive. If you don't got the money, unfortunatley, it's best to sell out to someone who can do it.

And sell the Mozda for a better car too. ;)

But if you can at all afford the conversion process, I'd say find a way to go for it. As mentioned, this looks like an excellent donor car. It'd be a shame if you have to give up on it.

octopus7
Volunteer

Post by octopus7 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Just a suggestion but what about getting you KITT converted to run on LPG? It would be cheaper as the fuel prices in aus are through the roof.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:25 pm

from what ive had qouted it costs $2000 for lpg fitted,
--knightman--

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:02 am

thats a great idea to get it running on LPG the downside is that LPG can be unreliable in some cases.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 am

went for a drive today, man i love driving this car,its funny too ,i pulled up at a petrol station to get fuel, and i pulled up next to a farley newish bmw sedan, i filled up and paid at the counter , came back and there were about a dozen or so people just standing there having a look , no one took notice of the bmw..
any way also did my first mini burnout today,
not that i was trying :-)
--knightman--

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:54 am

:lol: good stuff :D I hope you can keep him :)
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:26 am

KEEP IT!
Don't give up!

1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006
Rookie

Post by 1ManCnMkeADffrnce2006 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:30 am

[quote="James_kr"]3 reasons to keep KITT:
1. It looks better than the mazda
2. The Dog prefers KITT
3. It may be the best one your going to find

I agree with this all the way. I'd like to add a few things too, KITT can kick the Mazda's butt in the quartermile even when he isn't complete! Better to own an American car than a Japanese car in my opinion, but hey, I am from America, so who else would I pick? :)
One man CAN make a difference Michael.
"I raised him(KITT) from a little ass" - "Ice Bandits"

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:20 am

i think my days on here are limited, today has to be the worse day of my life dad has said they'll pay off the loan i got, to pay for the car and some other debts i paid off , then there gonna lock my house in there name and i cant do a thing about it..
the next thing he said is that im tottaly irrisponsible in buying that car, buying it to copy as a tv car, to add things to it that dont even work do nothing and other words i wont go into.. my dad never swore at me all my life , but today he called me irrisponible. my heart has broken so deep with this ..
I just got no option to let kitt or karr i should call him..
he is my christine i feel..
life sucks when not one of your family supports you in anything you do, all my life I wanted that car, to play music, which you can check on my site,
and other things, but every time i did something they put me down..even when i said ill get a job and pay them off bit buy bit, nope . .. not good enough.. im sorry to say my dream is dead..
thanks for the ride.
Crying or Very sad
--knightman--

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:35 am

I hate thinking about how bad things are for you at the moment I think you should wait a bit longer and see if this will blow over.

At least you have friends on the forums who are supporting you and wishing you the best that this all turns out right.

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:43 am

Hi,

I don't know you but I would like to say some things to you in good faith.

Your family is right, it was a mistake to take a loan for a this car.

You must try to be more independed, you are 36 years old, try to find a job.

We all love knight rider but we also have to live our real life.

In my opinion you made this dream a knightmare because you were not ready for this.

If you want this car so much you much find a job, I don't believe that your family does not want you to find a job, I believe they want you to find a real job.

I'm sure your family loves you, all they want is to make you a stronger person, because in real life the people some times can be very hard.

My best wishes for you

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 pm

greenknight - that was harsh. Maybe he *has* a job. Good jobs are hard to find and education is so expensive, and quality education isn't easy to find either.

rhdaussiekitt - Now it's my turn to be harsh. If your parents are treating you like that, even taking your house and calling you irresponsible (whether true or not) then they aren't a loving and understanding family and I think they will give you even MORE trouble again as time goes on. They probably would have come down on you for something ELSE and may in the future. Something to think about. Some people are just like that. Once you hit 21, THEY want to retire and get you over with - out of their life.

You may have made a knee-jerk decision to get something you always wanted, to chase a dream while you could. Maybe it was just bad timing. Maybe you DO need to let go of the car. BUT, think about what the family is doing to you too before they end up making you let go of the roof over your head, and maybe any other important things in your life in the future.

YOU gotta take the bull by the horns and take care of yourself (not easy). Don't let anyone take things away on you. Do what you have to. Make your own decisions.

Sorry, but that's how I feel. My parents abused me my entire life and always threatened to take things they gave me away, as if I wasn't supposed to have anything in the first place. I can't stand when people are in that situation as I know how wrong it just is.

I work from home myself but don't have much money. Being disabled, my income is quite low. I had an opportunity to get a doner car off eBay for KARR, if I could get a loan (and probably could have). BUT, even though I passed on it due to the car being manual transmission (I wanted it because it had the L4 engine in it - the Iron Duke like the Pontiac 6000 I have), I also passed on it because I'm having a hard enough time keeping my current classic going (the 6000 is 19 years old this past March) and have still plans for it. Plus paying bills, debt I'm working on paying, and now in September I'm going to take some online courses to build skills I can use at work, maybe hopefully making me a bit more valuable.

In short, I realized even before I decided to go back to school that I just can not afford 2 cars, espeically with the price of gas and how much a V8 will cost to keep running. I would never want to give up my 6000, I know that for sure. Then there's maintenance cost (my 6000 just lost a fuel pump in June so I had to spend $400 on that job plus tune-up). I am the only one responsible for my life and my bills. Nobody is paying them for me and I have to live on what little I have. I'm managing, with part time work and my disability benefits. It's rough. But at the same time I have to make some hard decisions on what I need and don't need.

So, while I still dream of owning a real-life KARR replica, I also have a couple (yet unfinished) AMT/ERTL re-issue 1:24 model kits of KITT. One I hope to do as KITT and the other as KARR. Maybe it'll be the closest I'll ever get to them, but at least it's better than nothing. Only if I can find time to construct them! I'm still on just building the Engine pieces and haven't yet painted that part yet...

So in short, you may have made a mistake, or got into this at the wrong time, but your folks have no right to go taking your house away and putting you down over it. They should have just said "See what happened when you act too quickly? We'll help, but at least try to remember what happened next time you want something so badly."

I hope you can think this over. Get away from them for a weekend or something, take the car out for a "last ride" to a secluded place, do some thinking about the way your life is going, how you're being treated at your age, and what you'd like to do. And where the car fits or doesn't fit in.

Time to regroup, plan ahead and do your best.

Best of luck to ya, man. Hope it works out!

pbryant_knight
Operative

Post by pbryant_knight » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:04 pm

I'm from the UK and the first thing i will mention is fuel prices. they just hit £1 GBP a litre this week. :evil: :evil:

I got my first Firebird when i was 18. I remember it vividly. All my family were against it and they said "its too big for you to drive" "it'll be expensive to run" etc. but nevertheless i got a bank loan for two and a half grand to buy it. I was working part time in a supermarket and i took the day off work to go to Birmingham with a friend to collect it. I was ripped off from the offset and needed to spend £800 on it right away.

Anyway, long story short, i had the car for 8 years and did bits and pieces to it when i could. it doesn't have to be expensive. got the nose fitted, respray, cheap £15 scanner and stuff like that, but i loved it. My family came around to the idea and soon my mam loved the car almost as much as me.

Then one day i decided to sell it and off it went. :(

I missed having an american car so i bought a Camaro but it wasn't the same. so i sold that and now here i am doing my SECOND replica. got it cheap off e-bay. it was a white 1991 version but now has front bumper, correct rear bumper, scanner, bodykit removed, painted black, DVD's in the dash (although no proper dash yet).

Now i am not a rich man by any means, but i've just done bits when i can with second hand parts and doing a lot of the work myself.

Even if you don't start on the conversion right away, it's still a damn fine sports car in itself :) and without the conversion parts people will still think its KITT from Knight Rider.

Don't make the mistake i did by selling your dream if ther's any way you can possibly help it. or you'll regret it.

peter
One Man Can Make A Replica

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 am

thanks guys and pbryant_knight, fuel in australia is at the moment
$1.40 cents per litre

God i remember when i got my first car at 18 a 302 xy falcon
fuel then was $0.45 cpl then .. that was 15 odd years ago
also being a 350 v8 how would this go if i got it converted to duel fuel ?

I took kitt down to get a blue slip which you need to do as the car was regoed in another state, why we dont have the same rules all over australia I dunno. only a few minor things, gotta replace an indicator globe as ones not working, might need to replace a motor on one of the head lights, sometimes it pops up other times it doesnt.
needs a new air filter and a cover over the fly wheel.
also u guys know where the engine number is on these?
--knightman--

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:33 am

Just came back from my little trip to London! The gas price is OUTRAGEOUS! We were about to rent a Vauxhall for two days, but we gave that up because of the gas price!

The gas price in Sweden is about 11.50 SEK/litre, which is about 84 pence/litre in Brittish currency and $1.61/litre in American currency.
But the gas price in London was about £25/litre! Which is about 340 SEK/litre in Swedish currency! If I want to fill the gas tank to the very top by which contains about 80 litre, I will have to pay £2000, which is about 27000 SEK! I will have to sell my own car in order to do that...

And yet, people are driving like never before!

Ahhh, yes, that too! We also chose to insure the car, in case of any damage or accident. Despite this they wanted to charge us for about £400 in case something would happen to the car!
We told them that the car was insured already, why do you have to charge us extra for?
They said, you could have the money back from Holiday Autos. How can you be sure that I will have my money back from Holiday Autos!? What if they deny it? Have you ever considered that?

Despite all this you will have to pay for the toolbooth as well, which is about £8 a day.

But the city of London is priceless!!! You all should pay Brittain a visit...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:23 pm

UK prices are not £25/litre!
They are extortionate, but not that high. It's around a £1/litre at the moment. This is around $1.90, and 13.60 SEK.

EVH5150
Volunteer

Post by EVH5150 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:47 pm

Wizster wrote:UK prices are not £25/litre!
They are extortionate, but not that high. It's around a £1/litre at the moment. This is around $1.90, and 13.60 SEK.
Fix that calculator, Knight-Armen. :P
Brian Elliott is a journalist, and a regular contributor to DVD Reviewer and SLAM! Wrestling .

pbryant_knight
Operative

Post by pbryant_knight » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:00 pm

rhdaussiekitt wrote:thanks guys and pbryant_knight, fuel in australia is at the moment
$1.40 cents per litre

might need to replace a motor on one of the head lights, sometimes it pops up other times it doesnt.
needs a new air filter and a cover over the fly wheel.
also u guys know where the engine number is on these?
The Chassis number is in the bottom left corner of the windscreen if that's what you're reffering to. Also, before changing the motor, check all your earth connections and clean them up with a little sandpaper to get a good connection. that happened to my last car and seemed to fix the problem for some reason. if it comes up sometimes and not others it is unlikely to be the motor. if it was the motor it would either come up relly slowly or not at all :)

Peter

Peter
One Man Can Make A Replica

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:11 pm

That's strange! I could almost bet, the gas price was £25/litre. Anyways, I'm probably wrong, sorry about that! But I'll look in to it and... my calculator works fine, thank you very much!!! :)

Ohhh, and one more thing. In England, well atleast in London, almost all Opel cars are now called Vauxhall!!! Why? They even had their symbols changed...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:16 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:
That's strange! I could almost bet, the gas price was £25/litre. Anyways, I'm probably wrong, sorry about that! But I'll look in to it and... my calculator works fine, thank you very much!!! :)

Ohhh, and one more thing. In England, well atleast in London, almost all Opel cars are now called Vauxhall!!! Why? They even had their symbols changed...
You dont want to bet on fuel being £25/litre! cos it isn't but its still extortionate.

Well Vauxhall was an UK brand many many years ago and GM bought the company and decided to use Opel cars but rebadged them as Vauxhall for the UK market, up until of late the Vauxhall has had different names to the Opel equivelent. But as far as I know all Vauxhall's and Opel's share the same model name now days.

But since last year ALL Vauxhall models have been retuned to suilt UK roads better, so they will handle different to the Opel model

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:04 am

Knight-Armen wrote: Well Vauxhall was an UK brand many many years ago and GM bought the company and decided to use Opel cars but rebadged them as Vauxhall for the UK market, up until of late the Vauxhall has had different names to the Opel equivelent. But as far as I know all Vauxhall's and Opel's share the same model name now days.

But since last year ALL Vauxhall models have been retuned to suilt UK roads better, so they will handle different to the Opel model
Holden (Australian division on GM) did the same thing. A few years ago, they brought in a couple of Opels and put Holden badges on them. The Vectra and Astra kept the same name, but the Corsa was called a Barina. Holden tuned them to suit Australian conditions and they sold heaps of them and won stacks of awards and built a solid reputation.

Stupidly, Holden are now replacing the Euro cars with Korean cars. They are rebadging Daewoos as Holdens. The Viva is a rebadged Lacetti and the latest Barina is a rebadged Kalos. The Astra will also be replaced with another Daewoo.

Yes, it will save money, but it will destroy the good reputation that the brand name had earned with the Euro cars. Sigh. :roll: :evil: :cry: :x :? etc ...

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:06 am

Over here in the Uk Chevy are re-badging daewoo's as Chevys..I think thats hillariouse :lol::lol:
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"