A little math, a little "Brother's Keeper"

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

A little math, a little "Brother's Keeper"

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:06 am

I watched "Brother's Keeper" recently when it came to the scene where Michael, KITT and Peter must drive the bomb to an uninhabited area so it can detonate. According to KITT, they must drive 45 miles to reach a deserted area. Peter then makes the comment that they will "never make it in 8 minutes". Doing a little calculating, and assuming I did it correctly, KITT would have to travel 346 miles per hour to get to that deserted place in time! That's even faster than KITT went when he had a ramjet in "Goliath". I guess this begs the question - what on earth did SPM do for KITT if he could already travel this fast?

Joe

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:36 am

SPM alough I did like it I have admit it didn't really make Kitt go any faster It gave an impression for people who didn't follow it that much that SPM made him faster.

I guess it's just changing writers etc for another inconsistency.

My maths is not that hot but if as bonnie said "40% more speed" in SPM, and assuming Kitt could already do 300 MPH, wouldn't that have made him go over the 500 MPH mark?

ryytel
Operative

Post by ryytel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:50 am

hmm dont know about other episodes the math stuff cous my math was F this year in estonia we
call it 2 LOl :D Ok but that thing your right Joe Huth But i dont think The producers werent That exact to make kitt go that fast. But if they were going that fast as you calculated then There wouldnt be any spm i quess ok bye
Knight Rider "Trust Doesnt Rust"

K.A.R.R. : Do you wish to drive, or shall I.

Tony : Go ahead.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:48 pm

I can't say if it's bad math or just inconsistent speed for KITT. The problem I have with that scene is just how big was the blast radius from that bomb supposed to be that they had to drive 45 miles away? There wasn't a park, or a field, or an old warehouse district closer?

beatlemyn
Volunteer

Post by beatlemyn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:54 pm

Why didn't KITT put it in the trunk? LOL

"Michael, my favorite Beatle is John."

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 pm

My personal opinion as to why KITT had to drive so far away in a certain period of time was just to make the episode a little more exciting. Why just throw it in the trunk when you can drive at ridiculous speeds and turbo boost over police cars? ;)
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:44 pm

I noticed it too that SPM never really made KITT go much faster than he did before. In one of my fav eps, The Topaz Connection, he went pretty fast to get to Las Vegas from LA before the plane got there.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:57 am

I think SPM was more stable than the ramjet + the EBS also I think it Supercharged the turbine to speeds like a small aircraft. The Ramjet seamed to need to be tweaked to get it to work. Possibly SPM was aerodynamics + ramjet = extreme power.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 am

I think SPM gave KITT better acceleration at takeoff too. It took KITT a lot longer to get up to 300mph (though he did do it a couple of times) without SPM. One thing I don't understand though, is the whole bomb in the trunk that they did in several episodes. KITT didn't have any MBS or special protection on the inside of the car. If a rocket in the tailpipe could nearly destroy him, why would a bomb in the trunk be any different?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:40 pm

To avoid this speed confusion, the writers should have explained that SPM gave kitt faster acceleration instead, even if that still wouldn't account for the use of the EBS but it's still a hell of a lot better than having to workout how SPM is faster than normal pursuit.