Did KITT Have a Handbrake?

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Keon2005
Rookie

Did KITT Have a Handbrake?

Post by Keon2005 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi I just wanted to know if the Universal Props Department took off the stock Emergency handbrake when they customized the T/A into KITT?

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Fri May 26, 2006 9:48 pm

Actually the Handbrake was there...just covered by a flap extending down from the center console fiberglass attachment...

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by sheltonw3 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:57 am

BoMcD wrote:Actually the Handbrake was there...just covered by a flap extending down from the center console fiberglass attachment...

Well believe it or not the actual car for universal had most of there hand brakes removed!Image
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat May 27, 2006 2:22 am

sheltonw3 wrote:
BoMcD wrote:Actually the Handbrake was there...just covered by a flap extending down from the center console fiberglass attachment...

Well believe it or not the actual car for universal had most of there hand brakes removed!
I have a hard time believing that because of all the 180 degree turns David made pulling out of the semi. Given the fact that the Trans Am is rear-wheel drive, he'd pull the hand brake, lock the rear wheels and turn the car. At the last second he'd release the brake and go in the opposite direction. The Hero Car probably had it covered; all stunt cars surely had it to do stunts like that.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:20 am

only some of the cars had this done!....half the stunt cars had them removed ,the hero cars had them totally removed!...its confusing for most of us ,but in some scenes you can clearly see the hand brake and stock interior which could be seen in most of the first two seasons!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 pm

I think some of the cars had them, if you look in the pilot when michael pulls up to the house of the rising sun at one point he puts KITT in park and pulls the handbrake up before getting out.

the 180 turns were done with a line lock, basically it was the handbrake but it was operated with your foot, you step on a button on the floor which turns the brake pedal into the handbrake, so you still have both hands on the wheel for better control

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sat May 27, 2006 6:34 pm

Newcastle knight wrote:I think some of the cars had them, if you look in the pilot when michael pulls up to the house of the rising sun at one point he puts KITT in park and pulls the handbrake up before getting out.

the 180 turns were done with a line lock, basically it was the handbrake but it was operated with your foot, you step on a button on the floor which turns the brake pedal into the handbrake, so you still have both hands on the wheel for better control
you are correct their was a pedal on the floor that acted like a handbrake but more of a diff lock that locked two wheels on one of the sides and span around for a 180 that would be great if you knew how to make one for a KITT replica whoever owns that one they showed on the MCK site still has the pedal working I think so if they knew what they were doing they could have some good fun with that.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"