Ideas for bringing old KITT into new movie

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Ideas for bringing old KITT into new movie

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I am pretty vocal in my belief that the healthiest thing for the franchise is for it to move forward by introducing a new car in the movie. However, I do have a secret soft spot for the old Trans Am. Assuming they do a new origin story, I struggle with coming up with ideas for how they could show the original KITT in the movie, and still have it make some sort of sense within the storyline. So here's my cheat to get old KITT in the movie:

The movie starts in 1982. Wilton Knight is a billionaire playboy in his 50s, (think Richard Branson from Virgin) who has just created KITT. It's the same black Trans Am, same dash, same voice. But the technology isn't quite ready yet. KITT has lots of system crashes (and probably literal car crashes.) And maybe KITT's personality hasn't evolved, he's much more technical and logical at this point. It will take Wilton 25 years to perfect the AI technology; we cut to present day, Wilton is dying, but the new KITT is ready to roll.

Other ideas? How would you bring KITT's old body into the movie?

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Tue May 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Negating the Hoff's Involvement...

Michael Long is a cop that happens to own a rather well-worn 1982 Trans Am. It's his pride and Joy like the Hoff's Michael Knight's 57 Chevy in KR2000.... He takes a lot of ribbing from his cop buddies... But it doesnt phase him a bit.... it's cantankerous but has served him well on more than one occasion... He talks to it when it doesnt work right ....

Wilton Knight has been following Michael Long for a long time with a secreted eye, due to his involvement in the investigation of COMTRON's suspicious activities...compiling all he can on Michael Long with an eye on bringing him into FLAG to be a part of a new pilot program. ..there is a quality to Michael that Reminds Wilton of him in his youth....

Michael gets shot in the classic story line style which completely changes Wilton Knight's timeline as the Knight 3000 is still months away from completion.

M.A.L. is left on the hood of the Trans Am to die.... we see streaks of blood run down the hood over the faded firebird sticker on the front of the hood...

He is airlifted to the Knight Compound where he is patched together...
Wilton is seen in the lab area where the blood soaked Trans Am sits silently...

The crimson streaked gold hood bird gives Wilton the idea that since M.A.L. is being risen from the ashes, so shall this "Phoenix" be also....at least till the K3000 can be brought online.

The techs then are seen gutting the bird and complaining about what a piece of junk...it's 25 years old... etc.... they modify a warehoused experimental turbojet engine to replace the engine and locate some JATO
(jet assisted take-off) rockets that the modify for high speed boosts... the partial anti-gravitics of the 3000 are too buggy to use on this car.... Wilton and Devon are at odds over this somewhat bizarre course of action....

Because of the intense rush they are put in, some of the aesthetics and electronics arent as high-tech as what was designed for in the K3000.. so we see our first glimpse of what the tech's could do on such short notice... a 2 tv dash with leds and a yoke salvaged from Wilton Knights line of airplanes....the secrets to which Comtron has recently stolen.... and a certain coating that turns the molecular structure of the metal of the car into something a "little" more durable.... :wink:

Rock On with the story from this point out....

whatcha think...?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 23, 2006 7:30 pm

I can get on board with Michael Long owning a vintage Trans Am, but that wouldn't fit in with my personal preference that the new KITT should NOT be based on the old '82.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Tue May 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Nor Mine, I would have the 82 as a connective bridge between the old and new... Halfway into the movie or whatever, the new car arrives and KITT willingly is transplanted.... :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed May 24, 2006 2:34 am

Michael - Remember, KARR was the first project that Wilton did and originally was exactly looking like KITT - all black with red scanner, just had a yellow voice box with bars different from KITT's later vox model. So they technically should start with KARR. And KITT would be a newer model of what KARR was. And that first mission would be in the KARR-like version of KITT. Then when Michael Knight is shot again and is in the hospital, after he comes out remember they TOWED KITT back. He has his meeting with Devon and for his second mission, they had some time to redo KITT... in a newer car...

Or, they HAD the newer car but it wasn't ready yet, so they took KARR's CPU out of the Trans Am and installed KITT's until they could get the new car ready. I Could see that working. Then they put the KARR's old CPU in and finish him up and he helps KITT. ;) I would LOVE to see THAT! But then KARR gets destroyed and put into a car exactly like KITT and that's when they reprogram KARR (first destruction was due to KARR's CPU being faulty in the first place, etc.) That would be neat.

Thing is, as many ideas as we have, I don't think they will use any of them as they'd fear that someone would sue for using "their idea". Heck, I don't mind if they use my ideas. I wouldn't sue. I'd enjoy the movie and be thrilled. :)

K.I.T.T UK
Recruit

Post by K.I.T.T UK » Thu May 25, 2006 4:11 pm

im sorry but kitt isnt kitt without the 82 transam

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu May 25, 2006 5:28 pm

I thought that was the point of Soul survivor. Its about KITT and not the car???

Anyway, I too have a soft spot for the Trans AM. Why on earth would I draw it as much as I do!.....however I think that in order for the reboot to work, it should be a new car and probably not a 82 Trans AM.

If you want something simple. Why not have the 82 TA as the testcar on which all developments took place. It takes them 20 years to refine the systems. They then build a new "production line model" which integrates all the components and transfers the KITT AI, which has itself attained years of knowledge along with human interaction.

Similar sequences happen in F1. They use older cars to test components before utilising them in the new car.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Fri May 26, 2006 7:51 am

I'm leaning towards a storage idea

Where KITT is left in a warehouse (Intact!....This time! :wink: ), But as he's now over twenty years old, His systems and body is no-longer in a good enough condition and Micheal has been mysteriously wiped from his memory banks.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri May 26, 2006 1:08 pm

I think they should just have the old car in it for the first half of the film, that gets demolished beyond repair and the new one is built.

That way, both types of fans are happy.

I know that michael driving the old kitt around for the first half of the film would seem outdated but do you really think kitt would care? :wink: I should imagine he'd always be comfortable in his old body or have him question his appearance like he did in KOTJ, which would obviously hint at a new body style is on the way.

If they decide to start from scratch and do a remake of the pilot then obviously a new body will be used right away and the old one be forgotten about.

KnightDMC
Stranger

Post by KnightDMC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:20 pm

As much as I understand that we need to restart the story from the beginning for those who haven't seen the show, I hate to think of losing the 82 TA. I really would like the storage idea, but that would mean you couldn't really do the re-start( if you ask me, wiping Michael from KITT's memory banks would be murder, seeing as how Michael would know him but KITT wouldn't. It would seem like an episode of the show where KITT gets damaged then repaired at the end.). I also kinda think the idea of having old and new in each half is a little odd, but maybe having old KITT in the very beginning and then showing him being revamped and remodled during the opening credits might kick some serious ass.

Spidey323
Recruit

Post by Spidey323 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:14 pm

I agree with KnightDMC. Maybe along with KITT being revamped in the opening credits, they could revamp the intro too...start out with the old theme song, but it gradually changes into a new modernized version with some kind of new narration with somebody who sounds like Wilton Knight? Just an idea...
"With great power comes great responsibility - we all have the power to choose, and the choices we make define who we are, and who we will become."

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:46 pm

I think if KITT stays as an 82 T/A he will be fine I think its much better because it will encourage people to watch the show besides KITT isn't an ordinary T/A. His memory banks being wiped would be like lost knight.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:44 am

Well going down the Lost knight or Knightmares road, Could be an interesting plotline, For Re-introducing the characters of Micheal and Kitt?

It's been twenty or so years!, Just to drop back into the shows premise, May be abit jarring for Non-Knight viewers?

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:06 pm

I'm with this New to old style which could be "hinted" at by the gradual theme tune change :D
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

bddotnet
Recruit

Kitt damaged in Pilot Episode?

Post by bddotnet » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:15 pm

How was KITT damaged in the PILOT episode? I thought he was indestructible until we see the GOLIATH episode of Season 2.
Bobby Duncan
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
http://www.bobbyduncan.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Pardon my expression, but he does have a few screws loose!"

KentuckyKITT
Rookie

Post by KentuckyKITT » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Personally, I hope they don't make the movie. Bottom line, not everyone is going to be pleased with it...we all know that. Some want this and some want that...but we are not going to get what we all want. Knight Rider is an 80s tv show we all know and love...that's good enough for me. I don't need a futuristic Hollywood version of what they think is the "new" Knight Rider...and I certainly don't want to see a spoof rip-off like "Dukes of Hazard." The 80s TV show is what I am a fan of and the 82 Black Trans AM...NOTHING will change that. We the fans have kept that show alive, including us full-scale replica builders who bring KITT to towns and cities all over the world. We don't need a movie to keep it alive!

Bryan
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

JL
Operative

Re: Kitt damaged in Pilot Episode?

Post by JL » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:53 am

bddotnet wrote:How was KITT damaged in the PILOT episode? I thought he was indestructible until we see the GOLIATH episode of Season 2.
They never exactly say, apart from Devon's comment about "Only you could put a dent in that machine."

The shooting scripts for the pilot don't have KITT being quite as invulnerable as he appears in what ended up on TV... after the final sequence at the airport, steam starts pouring out from under KITT's hood. My guess is that whatever damage was done probably happened when they took out the plane's wing.

jimmags
Volunteer

Post by jimmags » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:12 am

Here is my thoughts on a new Knight Rider:
Hasslehoff=yes
original car=yes
new actor=Paul Walker
new KITT=yes
+===============
Premise: New KITT is driven by New guy (Walker) who gets killed halfway into the
mission. They then call on David and the old KITT to finish the mission off. I think that would be cool and something different.
Keep on "riding"
Jimmy Mags

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:38 pm

I thought it'd be enough to see "KITT" 82 TA ni the background, say trailing the new car while it's cruising down the highway.

Hell, why not have KITT "appear"/pop-up in various scenes, like a Where's Wally? kinda thing.

Or maybe just continue in the way of KR2K and show how they continued development from KARR-->KITT-->(intermediary)-->new car?

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 pm

I think a lot of people may be concerned that KITT in an 1982 TA would look "dated" on the road today, not so in my opinion. The cars we drive today were thought up in the eighties, its not like a 55 chevy in todays world an 82 trans am especially KITT wouldn't look OLD
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.