Knight Rider Movie mentioned on CNN.com

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

garen
Stranger

Knight Rider Movie mentioned on CNN.com

Post by garen » Tue May 09, 2006 10:40 am

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by LuvKITT » Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 am

Thanks for the link. I hope they just do a continuation of the series and not a redone one. From what I heard the Dukes movie didn't do so well because they tried to make it like the series.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 09, 2006 11:49 am

It's funny, this article makes it almost seem a seperate project that what Hasselhoff has been talking about. He's always said that he'd be in it, but Larson is quoting here with no comment.

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Tue May 09, 2006 1:14 pm

here is another quote from http://www.comingsoon.net

Weinsteins Put Knight Rider Into Drive
Source: The Weinstein Company May 9, 2006

The Weinstein Company has acquired the rights to develop and produce a feature film based on the original hit television series Knight Rider. The rights were purchased from Glen A. Larson (Knight Rider, Magnum P.I., Fall Guy, Battlestar Galactica), the original creator of the television show, and he will write the script and executive produce the project through his production company Glen A. Larson Productions. David Price brought the project to The Weinstein Company's attention and will co-produce it.

Based on the 1980’s hit television series, Knight Rider is a revenge story about a police investigator who is shot on the job and left to die. Nursed back to health by a mysterious millionaire, he regains consciousness a new man with a new face and a new name: Michael Knight. His mysterious benefactor provides Michael with equipment and support so that he can continue his crime fighting work and ultimately get revenge on the people who left him to die.

Harvey Weinstein stated, "I am a huge fan of the original series and could not be happier that we've joined forces with Glen Larson to bring these iconic characters to the big screen."

Larson stated, "Teaming up with Harvey and Bob, with their unparalleled success in motion picture, gives Knight Rider an exciting opportunity to be a breakout franchise."

The original hit television show ran on NBC from 1982 through 1986 and starred David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight.

Production executives Brendan Deneen and Eric Robinson, will oversee the project on behalf of The Weinstein Company reporting to Michael Cole, co-president of production.

Eric Roth, executive vice president of business and legal affairs, negotiated the deal on behalf of The Weinstein Company. Skip Brittenham, Stephen Espinoza and Barry Felsen negotiated on behalf of Larson.

with no more rights, let's hope they don't screw it up.
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue May 09, 2006 1:38 pm

It'll be interesting to hear what they do with it...The Weinstein Co. played a part in bringing such movies as "Scary Movie 4" and "Lucky Number Slevin" to the theatres.

Joe

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Tue May 09, 2006 9:40 pm

Yay!!! Now I wonder who are they going to cast for the movie...
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue May 09, 2006 9:54 pm

All I hope is that the DVD release doesn't have an "Unrated" Edition :roll:

Joe

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed May 10, 2006 12:17 am

I hope KARR is in it and doesn't get destroyed. :) I also hope that William Daniels will do KITT and that The Hoff himself plays in the movie.

I am wondering though. I mean DH has been doing so many other projects lately that it didn't seem quite like he'd have time for the movie. But if it's going into production next year, then I guess he'll find time. :) He has, after all, been seen around a lot with KITT, which I expected was to promote the idea of a movie and/or see how people reacted to see if a movie would be of interest (and obviously it is).

Joe - What is the difference between a rated and "unrated" DVD edition? Forgive if I am asking a simple question, but I only recently started buying Movie DVDs.

The one thing I'm finding hard is that most everything is in "Wide Screen" format and my 19" TV doesn't display much in that format. I don't have $$ for a wide screen TV either. And if I did get one, wouldn't Full Screen shows show up only 1/2 size on a wide screen then? So it's like you lose either way? I'm not sure how that stuff works.

And since I don't go to theatres, I will have to wait for the DVD to come out. I already have my sights set on "Cars" as well (which is going to be in theatres early next month). Knight Rider will always be on my list of DVDs to get. :) I have all 4 seasons now. Having a more current movie will rule!

And I hope they have "extras" and that it will include an interview with William Daniels, something I feel the original DVD set should have had.

I also hope that if KARR returns, that Peter Cullen will reprise the role, since Paul Frees is sadly no longer with us.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed May 10, 2006 6:55 am

FuzzieDice -

"Unrated" editions usually have more swearing and nudity. They put out an Unrated edition of The Dukes of Hazzard Movie. It just doesn't seem right to take a PG rated TV show and make it unrated with crap like swearing and nudity. Just my two cents, though.

Joe

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:54 am

Joe Huth wrote:FuzzieDice -

"Unrated" editions usually have more swearing and nudity. They put out an Unrated edition of The Dukes of Hazzard Movie. It just doesn't seem right to take a PG rated TV show and make it unrated with crap like swearing and nudity. Just my two cents, though.

Joe
I agree with you 100% Joe. I'm glad Glen wants the movie to be PG-13. I just couldn't picture Knight Rider with gory violence, graphic sex scenes, or too much swearing. It would ruin the movie for me. Plus with a PG-13 rating, you can get a wider range of audience, which is always good. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed May 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Well that's seems to be the case since American Pie, but before DVDs, in the time of the 'LaserDics' unrated versions usually were directors cuts with additional 'useful' footage that helped support the story and generally made the picture better. It's only in recent years has it become such a bastardized marketing ploy.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu May 11, 2006 12:50 am

I wouldn't mind the "unrated" stuff. I have read some very uh... 'interesting' stuff in fanfic where the characters really take on a hardened edge. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie along those lines (as long as it's not rated above R or I think it's be less entertaining to me).

I just am hoping it'll be entertaining. That's all I can hope for at this point, the more I think about it and the more I'm hearing on it.

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

I don't like fan fics that go into stuff like that. I have writen 3 fan fics and nothing like that is mentioned. I keep it close to the way Knight Rider really was. I hope they don't stick stuff like that in there. I am not going to say I will see it or not see it. I will have to wait to hear the actual story and see the trailer. I will decide from there if I want to see it or not. I am a very straightlined person, I always like the origional and will always stick to it. That doesn't mean that I am not openminded I just prefer the origional work.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu May 11, 2006 3:54 pm

It all depends on how the movie is played out. I personally don't really care if it's so dark that there is graphic violence or swearing (but no sex as it doesn't fit, thinking about it).

Unrated DVD's are really the ones that are horror movies, MOSTLY but neps is right, it is a marketing ploy.

What can be deemed as an "unrated edition" might only have one scene that is approx 8 seconds long of extra footage and that can easily be marketed as an ultimate edition (example taken from 'Saw').

Unrated editions have also hurt movies ie '40 year old virgin' where bumping that movie up to 2 hours just didn't fit and made the movie seem to drag.

Like I said, it all depends how the movie is played out and how it is, then we can all judge whether it deserves any extra special treatment.

There will always be deleted scenes that they leave out, whether this is included on the dvd or not is to be confirmed.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu May 11, 2006 8:15 pm

I don't think Mr. Larson intends to make the movie into something it's not. I don't think the Knight Rider movie will have anything much different than most other movies coming out these days that people enjoy. And yet I think it will be quite entertaining.

I don't worry about all the "language", etc. in a movie. If it's entertaining, I like it. If it's not, I won't like it.

I'm just glad they ARE going to do a movie in the first place! :)