How many times was the "Hill Valley" used?

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

LEDmouth
Volunteer

How many times was the "Hill Valley" used?

Post by LEDmouth » Mon May 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Please escuse me as I'm a noob and I'm sure this has been asked and answered countless times before, but I noticed the extraordinary amount of times it seems the "Hill Valley" set (later made famous from the Back to the Future movies) was used for KR.

Am I correct that "Hill Valley" was used at least three times for the following episodes?
- Good Day at White Rock
- No Big Thing
- A Nice Indecent Little Town

Were there any more appearances on KR other than these three? It seems Universal was quite fond of the set and liked to reuse it as often as possible. It's probably one of the most recognizable movie/television sets ever built.

Thanks for answering this question that has been plaguing me since re-watching the series as of late. I forgot how much I loved KR as a kid! :P

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue May 02, 2006 4:03 am

Universal did like to reuse the backlot "Hill Valley/Courthouse Square" set, but after all, that's what it was there for! It features in all the Universal shows of that period -- The A-Team, Knight Rider, Murder She Wrote -- and also the Back to the Future movies and some others.

As for Knight Rider, it was used in:

Good Day at White Rock (as "White Rock")
Trust Doesn't Rust (the "residential neighbourhood", where K.A.R.R. loses Michael and K.I.T.T.)
A Nice, Indecent Little Town (as "Alpine Crest")
Sky Knight (as "Cactus, Arizona")
Fright Knight (actually as a movie backlot on "McKee Studios")

Coincidentally, if you check out Fright Knight, look at the theater marquee -- the movie playing is Cattle Queen of Montana, which is the movie at the same theater in 1955 in the first Back to the Future!

Knight Song used the block of Chicago sets directly next to Hill Valley/Courthouse Square, which were also used at the beginning of A Nice, Indecent Little Town. A funny little nitpick: When Michael picks up Charley Conners from Josh Bevins' nightclub to go to Keith Lawson's, they set out on what appears to be a reasonable journey. When they pull up outside Lawson's, however, look down the end of the street: not one hundred yards away is the front of the club!
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Major Ursa
Operative

Post by Major Ursa » Tue May 02, 2006 8:21 am

The Hill Valley ste has transformed several times for the first two BTTF movies.
"Oh I just went to any Pontiac dealer and asked for the Trans Am with the James Bond option package." - Micro Knutt, Knutt Rider(A Mad Magazine parody of Knight Rider)

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm

hey check out this link. It is from the universal studios website and it features pictures of all the sets in the backlot.

http://www.filmmakersdestination.com/stages/

LEDmouth
Volunteer

Post by LEDmouth » Wed May 03, 2006 3:08 am

rulloa81 wrote:hey check out this link. It is from the universal studios website and it features pictures of all the sets in the backlot.

http://www.filmmakersdestination.com/stages/
That's a cool link. I recognize a lot of those locations from KR and BTTF alone.

adman500
Volunteer

Post by adman500 » Wed May 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Is the the courthouse used in Knight Rider or was that only built when they made BTTF?
'That other car is going to give Trans-Am a terrible reputation'

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu May 04, 2006 12:41 am

i remember seeing that clock tower 2 years ago it had a sign saying it was used in back to the future also the clock isn't actually on it anymore (the building was used in bruce almightly) you can get a good picture of it there. Thats so cool going through where KITT has been especially in fright Knight you see all the backlots that are on the tour especially the shark
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Wed May 10, 2006 7:26 am

The courthouse was also used in No Big Thing as LEDmouth pointed out, it's weird to see it a different color, or without the clock on it... I recently saw it on TV without the clock, but forgot what I was watching...

For BTTFII, did they really transform it like it was in the movie in 2015, or was that a different set? Hard to believe they would do all of that work and then dismantel it... I've heard there is a BTTF set in Florida, does anybody know if it's still there?

SH