Knight Rider season 4 dvd sound

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Aussie Knight Rider
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider season 4 dvd sound

Post by Aussie Knight Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:03 am

I just got my dvds which I ordered a few weeks ago and was watching Knight
of the juggernaut and a few weeks ago somebody on this forum said the sound was down graded to mono so I was thinking it would sound the same as the rest of the seasons untill I started watching it and compered the sound
to other sets. It doent sound like the sound is in mono because the sound has alot more punch than other sets.
Plus I dont think you can down grade dvds because the orginal real's are fed through a $5 million high def machine and a sound technition does the remastering and to down grade it it would take way to long because they would
have to be remastering the hole thing from origanal stereo to mono.
I think the sound tech who ever they were was a dofuss becuse they recked the sound effects and thought it was mono so they put it on the box but im 99% shore its original stereo because of the extra punch in sound.
just wondering if any body else noticed the difference from the other seasons. thanks for reading
Aussie Knight Rider
Last edited by Aussie Knight Rider on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:35 am

Dufus indeed.

The sound although a bit higher in fidelity on the DVD is indeed in Mono sound, just look at the back of the box. The reason it is better or punchier is due to the fact that Season 4's audio was originally in Stereo and hence had a better sound to it then the other seasons... They have also enhanced it in some way, sort of like they took the time to enhance the video, however when the day was finished, they merged both channels of Stereo sound into 1 lousy Mono track, which in turn then got duplicated into 2 channels of Mono for Dolby Digital 2.0, I know, makes alot of sense... What a waste of $5 million dollars...

If you want to hear the difference, go to the 80s flashback on Disc 3 - Side 2, skip a chapter to the Knight Rider segment and you can hear at least the Intro in full Stereo sound...

SH

Aussie Knight Rider
Recruit

thanks

Post by Aussie Knight Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:28 am

Thank's for the tip spyhunter I checked it out but still cant hear too much differince, thats maybe because im useing my 5.1 digital THX Z-5500 surround Sound with it set on Dolby Pro 2 movie setting, I 've also checked it on my sisters jvc stereo anolog surround and it sounds rubbish so I think if you want to hear decent sound universal expects everyone to go out and buy a nearly $2000 sound system. which im lucky but its not fair for others who don't have that sort of money just like if they decided to release these two sets in Blu Ray or high def dvd many people wouldn't be able to convert to these strait away
and wouldn't be able to watch the last two seasons which is lucky but no so lucky for decent sound.
Aussie knight rider 8)

Andreas
Rookie

Post by Andreas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:42 am

Thanx for the wise!!
The Knight Rider

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm

It should be easy to tell no matter what system you are using, I have a Yamaha Sound Projector (YSP-1000) that is very high tech and up to date, and has 42 individual speakers to throw the sound around, and it is still a big difference when the source is in Stereo vs. Mono...

I think it's because the amplifier needs to be given something to work with, and 1 channel is just too basic...

SH

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:27 pm

There is a big difference in KR sounding between stereo and mono.

Over here in the UK, we had a few season 4 episodes on dvd released before the seasons, in stereo.

The difference was very noticeable with music, especially from the intro, entering the rear speakers.

Funny you bring it up though because Sky Knight's intro does sound like it's in stereo because I seemed to be engulfed in sound with this.

I'm talking about the normal KR intro and then the music prologue where they show you the airport.

But as you say, because it is the last and most recent of all seasons, it will sound the strongest whichever sound format is in.

Aussie Knight Rider
Recruit

Checked it again

Post by Aussie Knight Rider » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:09 am

I checked the sound again this time in normal 6 chanel direct on my sound system and this time I can hear the difference so spyhunter you were right there is a big difference in sound but for some reason when I swich the sound system to Movie Pro II setting it blends everything together through out the system and you can hardly hear a difference.
thanks again
Aussie Knight Rider :wink:

Julius May
Volunteer

Post by Julius May » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:30 pm

Please contact http://www.tvshowsondvd.com about the KR DVD problems and ask them to contact the company that put the show on DVD . Link: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/faq/contact.cfm
Julius May