Super pursuit question

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Altimus Prime
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Super pursuit question

Post by Altimus Prime » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello all. Long time no see.

Got a quick - and I hope, simple - question.

In what fourth season episodes was the super pursuit mode seen at night?

I'm remembering there were night scenes with a neat looking red glow around the SPM bits. I've been watching the Season 4 DVDs, just getting to the second disc, but haven't seen it yet.

And another question - I don't know if it's ever said, but it seems that after KOTJ, KITT does regain his molecularly bonded shell. Is that right?

Thanks for the help!

jyd85
Operative

Re: Super pursuit question

Post by jyd85 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Altimus Prime wrote:Hello all. Long time no see.

I'm remembering there were night scenes with a neat looking red glow around the SPM bits. I've been watching the Season 4 DVDs, just getting to the second disc, but haven't seen it yet.

And another question - I don't know if it's ever said, but it seems that after KOTJ, KITT does regain his molecularly bonded shell. Is that right?

Thanks for the help!
I think we only saw SPM at night in Knight Behind Bars and Deadly Knightshade.

Altimus Prime
Recruit

Post by Altimus Prime » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:21 pm

Thanks. I'll have to check those eps out.

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:20 pm

You’re welcome. ;)

I think maybe someone else here will be able to answer the second question better than I can.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks for the help!
Yes, the only two times Super Pursuit Mode was used at night were in "Deadly Knightshade" and "Knight Behind Bars." As for the Molecular Bonded Shell, it was replaced after "Knight Of the Juggernaut," though it was technically never mentioned until "Knight Flight To Freedom." But in "KITTnap," K.I.T.T. is bullet-proof again, which proves that it was re-applied.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:23 pm

I'm guessing by the time C button is revealed, KITT may have the MBS.
But then again, can Bonnie restore it from the semi alone?

Darryl

Altimus Prime
Recruit

Post by Altimus Prime » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:28 pm

To me, bullet proof didn't necessarily equal molecular bonded shell.

But then, we see KITT take rocket hits in S4, which to me says the shell is back. I just wish it had been stated more clearly. As a kid, back in the day, I was pretty confused on this point. They said the whole point of SPM was to make up for the loss of the shell. If the shell is back, why need SPM?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:44 pm

The point of Super Pursuit Mode, initially, was because Bonnie had the opportunity to install it. With the new 40 percent speed increase, it also helped to make up for the loss of the shell. After the shell was reapplied (which in my opinion is a spray-on formula), why remove SPM? It had other benefits besides making up for the loss of the shell, as we see throughout Season 4, obviously. And regarding the bullet-proof issue, I don't see how K.I.T.T. can be bullet-proof without the shell. Without it, he can be easily dented just as any other car. So if he can be dented, then I'd imagine bullets would pierce the car too. And besides, would Bonnie or Devon send Michael out on missions without the protection of the shell?

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:45 pm

The more I think about it, the more oddly it strikes me that anyone would increase the speed of a car by almost half to make up for a lack of structural toughness. Does that seem logical?

I understand, of course, the thinking that if KITT couldn't withstand rockets and bullets he would need to dodge them with speed and finesse, but it still seems a little hair-brained.

Andreas
Rookie

Post by Andreas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:53 am

Lost Knight wrote:The point of Super Pursuit Mode, initially, was because Bonnie had the opportunity to install it. With the new 40 percent speed increase, it also helped to make up for the loss of the shell. After the shell was reapplied (which in my opinion is a spray-on formula), why remove SPM? It had other benefits besides making up for the loss of the shell, as we see throughout Season 4, obviously. And regarding the bullet-proof issue, I don't see how K.I.T.T. can be bullet-proof without the shell. Without it, he can be easily dented just as any other car. So if he can be dented, then I'd imagine bullets would pierce the car too. And besides, would Bonnie or Devon send Michael out on missions without the protection of the shell?
SPM is cool!!
The Knight Rider

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Lost Knight wrote:

Thanks for the help!
Yes, the only two times Super Pursuit Mode was used at night were in "Deadly Knightshade" and "Knight Behind Bars." As for the Molecular Bonded Shell, it was replaced after "Knight Of the Juggernaut," though it was technically never mentioned until "Knight Flight To Freedom." But in "KITTnap," K.I.T.T. is bullet-proof again, which proves that it was re-applied.
Makes you wonder if Knight Flight to Freedom was produced right after KOTJ in that case.

Anyone know where I can see a list of episodes produced in order?

I remember seeing season 1 somewhere.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:03 am

god sake clearly they would have re applied the MBS you do see KITT with the bullet proof and also if KITT turbo boosted he could break up like in the blooper video and also in KITTnap he falls and hits the ground hard a normal car wouldn't take that well. Don't worry about it he definatly had it back
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Altimus Prime
Recruit

Post by Altimus Prime » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 am

Another question as I've been watching S4 - Just where on KITT's dash are the buttons for SPM and the EBS? It looks like they're hidden behind some kind of panel. I just can't figure out where they're supposed to be, because they're always shown in close up. Or are they not actually even on the dash???

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:03 pm

My guess is it is either located underneath the dash or on the roof with the other buttons.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Altimus Prime wrote:Another question as I've been watching S4 - Just where on KITT's dash are the buttons for SPM and the EBS? It looks like they're hidden behind some kind of panel. I just can't figure out where they're supposed to be, because they're always shown in close up. Or are they not actually even on the dash???
I've actually wondered this a lot myself and was thinking of starting a thread on it. My guess would be next to or underneath the monitor. Since the buttons are covered with a panel, we of course can never see them on the dashboard.

And in actuality, those buttons are not even built into the dashboard. My guess is some separate mock-up. I do know that the "C" button is right next to one of the switch pods, though.