Thinking of adding a KITT scanner to my car (not a TA sadly)

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Akaihiryuu
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Thinking of adding a KITT scanner to my car (not a TA sadly)

Post by Akaihiryuu » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:46 pm

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius. I'd like to eventually build my own KITT, but it would take a lot more money than I have now. 3rd gen Trans Am's are fairly easy to find used, but it's hard to find one in good condition and the KITT conversion takes a lot of money and time that I don't have right now. In the meantime though, I'm really thinking of adding a KITT scanner to my current car. It really doesn't look anything like KITT, but interestingly enough my interior is more high-tech than the inside of the Knight 4000 in KR2000 was. I have a touch screen display and such on the inside. I was looking at it tonight, and there are two notches underneath the hood where I think a scanner might fit. Here's a pic of what the car looks like...it's not a picture of my car specifically, but it's the exact same color and model (only mine doesn't have the foglights). I'll take a picture of my car later when I get a chance and update the post.

http://www.autobytel.com/images/carpics ... CN2263.jpg

A scanner would definitely fit down on the lower part between where the foglights would go if my car had them, but it wouldn't look right down that low. It'll probably look fairly cheesy on my car even if it is on the upper part, but I have the whole Knight Rider nostalgia thing going on right now since I just got done watching the first 3 seasons and am getting ready to get my season 4 DVD's in a couple of days. It's basically just an experiment, I'd like to see what my car would look like with a KITT scanner. And hey, if I'm driving around in electric-only mode (it'll go on electric only up to about 30mph for short periods), it'll be kind of like having silent mode on. ;) I just wish I had turbo boost for those annoying traffic jams. It might not get 200mpg like KITT does, but it does reliably get 50-60mpg.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:22 pm

You may want to check some replica builders for a good scanner, since it would be best to put it in the area between the headlights that looks already open. But that looks rounded/dart like and JC Whitney scanners probably wouldn't fit.

Ideas: Change the labelling of the electric mode to "silent mode" and the labelling of the normal mode to "spm" (if it's a toggle, you might be able to mod it into two different switches. :) )

Add a car computer:

Via In-Dash Computer Projects

or

Lilliput BlaxTream TC1000 In-Dash low-powered car computer

I LOVE the Lilliput computer! Looks so rad! Then you'll need an LCD screen which I think most auto electronics stores online might have.

There's lots you can do to mod your car. And don't forget to give your car a name. ;) Many cars not Knight Rider related have names too. Many in my car club have named their cars. Kinda gives the car some personality (though I degress, they already HAVE a personality of their own, apparently, to begin with. :) )

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:45 am

I had purchased a green scanner for my 02 F150 black supercrew. Never did get it installed before I traded it in for an 05 black Explorer. I doubt it will look right on the Explorer, but I'll hang onto the scanner all the same.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Actually, my car already has an LCD screen on the inside. There's a $200 conversion kit available to add 2 sets of audio/video inputs to it (that's a future project, no money for it right now). If my car had been around 20 years ago, people would definitely have been saying the interior had been inspired by KITT. I'm surprised at how "KITT-like" the interior is. It just uses the cruise control lever to switch to electric mode (hold for two seconds), so there really isn't anything to label silent mode or super pursuit mode sadly. The only thing I'm really thinking of adding to this car (besides the audio/video conversion kit) is the KITT scanner. Here's a pic of what my interior looks like (generic pic, not my car specifically, but they're all pretty much the same, only mine doesn't have the GPS/mapping system like this pic does):

http://www.allhybridcars.com/img/hybrid ... rior-1.jpg