Season 3's missing sounds

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Zombie Knight
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Season 3's missing sounds

Post by Zombie Knight » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just over halfway through the Season 3 DVD set (KOTD to Buy Out) and BOY, Universal really screwed up this set from a audible standpoint didn't they? Here's the bulk of what I've noticed thus far.

KNIGHT OF THE DRONES - OK, there's not much that we can do about this - but the missing song really does make that scene pretty ridiculous doesn't it? And KITT's missing "good-bye" doesn't really warrant an explanation. Overall, not a great loss.

THE ICE BANDITS - The missing sound during the Turbo Boost onto the pickup is appaulling and really affected my enjoyment of the scene.

KNIGHTS OF THE FAST LANE - I heard that they replaced a sound effect in the final scene. However, it doesn't affect the episode dramatically.

HALLOWEEN KNIGHT - Found this episode to be fine.

KITT VS KARR - Same as above.

THE ROTTEN APPLES - Crap episode, but seemed to be fine here.

DEAD OF KNIGHT - Found this episode to be acceptable too. Although the missing song does make that scene with Cindy dancing look pretty stupid. Not a great loss though.

LOST KNIGHT - OK, this is where things start to go wrong. Huge portions of sound missing from the scene in which Doug plays around with KITT's abilities, and the corresponding chase scene. This was a terribly ruined episode.

KNIGHT OF THE CHAMELEON - Another badly affected episode, particularly during the major action sequence at the start, and the turbo boost over the truck. This was REALLY bad and totally afftected my enjoyment of the episode.

CUSTOM MADE KILLER - Nothing major stood out as being particularly bad or missing.

KNIGHT BY A NOSE - Same as above.

JUNK YARD DOG - The missing music over the teaser. I mean, this was the most confusing of all, and didn't make any sense to me.

BUY OUT - Seemed OK. Once again, nothing really stood out.

Anyway, I've still got a number of episodes to get through, but overall this really is a pretty poor effort on Universal's part. Not that I'm surprised, as it's not the first time they've done this (screwed up a release - BTTF anyone?)

I don't know how long it's gonna take them to fix up this release, and make replacements available, but knowing them, it will probably take a while and then it will become increasingly hard for international customers (ME!) to obtain them. Regardless, I think that Universal is a pretty poor studio when it comes to DVD releases, and I think their track record states that they have little to no care for their own products and customers.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this, and if any episodes from Buy Out onwards are as badly affected as The Ice Bandits, Lost Knight and Knight Of The Chameleon?

Cheers
Adam

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:31 pm

We know. members noticed this almost immediately after the release and Universal officially announced the error weeks ago. See the below post for details:

http://knightrideronline.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8367
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:37 pm

I don't think they botched up that badly on the 3rd season DVD set, in my opinion....

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:52 pm

I don't think so either. They simply used the best masters they had. Tehy owned up to the error only 2 weeks after release and are currently reviewing a solution. All in all, I think they're doing their best.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 am

Well they said they were reviewing it weeks ago..
And what's happened since then,,Nothing at all.

Will there be any fixed sets??

I am seriously satrting to wonder!
I thought at first it was looking good they admited the mistake, but that appears to be it.

Zombie Knight
Volunteer

Post by Zombie Knight » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:32 am

Yeah, I know everyone knows PBH. I was just elaborating on what had been mentioned. I don't agree with your statements on Universal though, I reckon their service is pretty poor, and their reputation hasn't been helped by this botch.

Julius May
Volunteer

Post by Julius May » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:12 pm

I want to get the Knight Rider series on DVD but when I get season 3 after seasons 1 and 2, should I ask for disc replacments after my DVD set arrives just to be safe?
Julius May

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 pm

PBH wrote:I don't think so either. They simply used the best masters they had. Tehy owned up to the error only 2 weeks after release and are currently reviewing a solution. All in all, I think they're doing their best.
Their best isn't good enough, and never has been.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:42 pm

I think right now they are concentrating on getting Season 4 released in April as first priority. I assume they will do that first and then go back and rework Season 3 and release that.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Their best isn't good enough, and never has been.[/quote]

Yes totaly agree with you.
They hav e never realy bothered what stuff is like they put out, and they know die hard fans will buy it no matter what.