My 1/25 scale KITT is over 80% finished...Whew!!

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight2000 » Thu May 11, 2006 4:24 am

James_kr wrote:that picture above looked like a real car for a sec
Lol I checked the photo aghain afyter that comment. It looks like it's in a car port type thing. Nicely done.

HondaSiR Dude, real nice car. Coupla questions.

1. Did you use the standard red thing for the tail or another one, coz it looks nice?

2. Did you just paint the scanner bit red or did you do something else?

3. How comes you didn't attempt to tint the T-tops?

Wish my model came out as nice as that. But I've been having real issues with airbrushes so I'm going to get some Tamiya spray cans instead.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu May 11, 2006 7:30 am

J-Knight wrote:They also look even better if you paint black in between the turbocast's spokes. I think Ansy-KITT was the first to do this:D
Yup, painting the square holes (flat black) in the turbocast's spokes makes the rims look more realistic. Even my 1/18 KITT's rims are painted flat black. :)
Knight2000 wrote:Coupla questions.

1. Did you use the standard red thing for the tail or another one, coz it looks nice?

2. Did you just paint the scanner bit red or did you do something else?

3. How comes you didn't attempt to tint the T-tops?
I used the red lens tailight that came with the MPC KITT. The one that came with the AMT/ERTL was rounded and had a small hole in the middle. I guess it was meant to be for a 1985 model.

For the scanner, I used red Tamiya enamel paint. I sanded off some of the partitions because they were too many. Nothing fancy really, I wanted to make the scanner stand out but didn't have the necessary skill.

For the t-tops, I used the smoked plastic that was included in the MPC kit. I still have the ones from the AMT/ERTL (clear plastic) and I just may attempt to spray a light black coat on them (inner side) to see how it would look like.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Thu May 11, 2006 1:40 pm

Knight2000 wrote:
Wish my model came out as nice as that. But I've been having real issues with airbrushes so I'm going to get some Tamiya spray cans instead.
I've never used a air brush, but do recommend Tamiya paint, yes its expensive, but worth it for the ease of use & finish.

Like John said its only the wheels that spoil a great, well made model. :)

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri May 12, 2006 2:02 am

but you still should have painted the clear red part black to match the bodym i glued the red clear part to the body before painting the whole thing black. As for the ttops, I sprayed the inside with flat black.

your model is friggin sweet tho :shock:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri May 12, 2006 6:00 am

Dave Knight wrote:but you still should have painted the clear red part black to match the bodym i glued the red clear part to the body before painting the whole thing black.
I've thought about doing the same thing Dave Knight. The problem is that when the lens is painted, it loses that see-through glass effect (which I really like). It was a hard decision and in the end, I chose not to paint it. :)

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:36 am

andy-kitt wrote:
Knight2000 wrote:
I've never used a air brush, but do recommend Tamiya paint, yes its expensive, but worth it for the ease of use & finish.
I can get the sprays off ebay for twice the price of a 10ml tin of Tamiya so it's not expensive. Especially since I spent something like £20 on an airbrush kit+propellant.

Looking forward to the break I get in June when I can do some more to the model.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Fri May 12, 2006 1:54 pm

For my KITT model I lightly sprayed the red tail lamp assy so that it was black, but still had the lense look to it, my next one I will use black tinting spray.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat May 13, 2006 12:34 am

HondaSiR wrote:
Dave Knight wrote:but you still should have painted the clear red part black to match the bodym i glued the red clear part to the body before painting the whole thing black.
I've thought about doing the same thing Dave Knight. The problem is that when the lens is painted, it loses that see-through glass effect (which I really like). It was a hard decision and in the end, I chose not to paint it. :)
I hear that, another option is to make a new lens from the old one but in clear. This is what I did for my 5th kitt model based on the 02 reissue.

Took one of the lenses, traced a new one out of clear styrine from a old busted up model kit, cut out the piece, trimed and sanded the edges. I then test fited it in the recess of the body and it worked. I painted the back with testors alluminum paint, outer side with testors stop light red paint. After i let it dry i sprayed it with a few coats of testors transparent black perfect for tinted windows, has a nice smoky look when done to 'glass'. If you cant find testors transparent black its also has the name testors window tint, or tamiya makes a trans black paint too.

FYI :wink:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat May 13, 2006 2:01 am

andy-kitt wrote:my next one I will use black tinting spray
I think I saw that product at a hobby store some time back. It never occured to me to buy and use it. But I can always mask my model's entire back end and spray it on the lens. Worth a shot :)
Dave Knight wrote:I hear that, another option is to make a new lens from the old one but in clear. This is what I did for my 5th kitt model based on the 02 reissue.

Took one of the lenses, traced a new one out of clear styrine from a old busted up model kit, cut out the piece, trimed and sanded the edges. I then test fited it in the recess of the body and it worked. I painted the back with testors alluminum paint, outer side with testors stop light red paint. After i let it dry i sprayed it with a few coats of testors transparent black perfect for tinted windows, has a nice smoky look when done to 'glass'. If you cant find testors transparent black its also has the name testors window tint, or tamiya makes a trans black paint too.
Most hobby stores in my area don't sell any products made by Testors. Yeah, it sucks. I will keep an eye out on window tint products though. And transparent black paint. :)

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat May 13, 2006 2:44 am

BONUS: You can also use if for the Ttops ;). I had a buddy of mine paint transparent black or tint over a bright silver base coat and I gotta tell you it looked wicked cool :shock: .

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat May 13, 2006 5:39 am

Yeah, I like your idea with the t-tops...I'll definitely look for those special products and once I find them...Bam! :dance: