idea for experiment

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Should we try the "Junkyard Dog" Experiment

YES! It would be an interesting experiment
40%
NO! (explain why below)
60%

Total votes: 5

James_kr
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

idea for experiment

Post by James_kr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:09 am

This is based on Junkyard Dog:
We should get an ertl kitt like the new ones or even a damaged ertl one and test out the junkyard dog theory by putting it in some acid mud type stuff leaving it there for one night and then taking it out in the morning and seeing how it turns out. I know it hasn't got MBS but the metal is strong. What do you think? Could we try it? Vote!
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:43 am

I'll pass on this experiment. I love my ERTL too much to subject it to such a test. And handling strong chemical substances can be hazardous to one's health. Besides, the car would most likely lose its paint and the plastic and rubber parts severely disfigured or melted...assuming we could get our hands on such a chemical.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:14 am

just mud maybe

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:24 am

if it was a badly damaged one maybe but not a lightly damaged one.

why not just sand off the paint and throw some mud on it yourself?

knightriderno2
Recruit

Post by knightriderno2 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:06 am

Sounds like a good idea
Go to this site for FREE game soundtracks: http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=527

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:27 pm

cause i don't have a damaged model in any way but it could create a very realistic junkyard dog kitt people would probably still buy it off ebay assuming it looks pretty much the same as the junkyard dog kitt.

2nddaniel
Stranger

Post by 2nddaniel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:11 pm

:( I wouldn't waste the money (unless it was a bashed model off e-bay)
Mainly because i do not think the results would be the same as in the episode. The results might show that it was only a t.v. show and the makers sometimes got it slightly wrong.
Dont get ME wrong , i love knight rider and i love the flaws.(not like my ex.) but some people dont. Anyway my point: In the episode, when @the melted car@ is pulled out of the acid pit , materials have been selectively destroyed, like the glass door windows and roof. The windscreen(or windshield) is still ther as is the hatch (or trunk) glass. Sorry.
The rubber tyes survived and the bowlingball hub caps, but not the dash plastics /rubber. Even the trunklid struts survived. Now that i think about it- Who attached the winch to the carcass of kitt? Surely not the suited up guys? (a Better-than-kitt-suit?)
Sorry again.
P.s. i've had beer.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:51 pm

Don't see the point really, as you couldn't replicate acid on KITT by using a toy version.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:17 am

stick it in a mud pit take it out open the rear hatch bam! junkyard dog kitt but that wouldn't really give an experiment though its really to see what the acid would do.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:46 am

I think its a bad idea. Why? Simple...

KITT, in the world of the show, has the MBS. Though in reality, it was just normal black paint, the MBS a polymer that was strong.

So, by placing an ERTL KITT into a pit of acid, it will not have the same effect because the toy does not have an MBS. It's just normal, acrylic paint.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:51 pm

That's a good point though...if the acid really was that corrosive, how the hell did they find the car or attach the winch to it? Though, you can see by the end of the episode (when KITT pushes the forklift into the pit) that it can't be any more than 5-6 feet deep. So you could use a crane or something and just "drag" the bottom with a hook until you grab onto something. The main reason so much damage was done to KITT was the amount of time he was in the pit. The hooks and cables they use on cranes and towtrucks is pretty strong stuff, sure if you left it in there 6 hours it might corrode but not in the few minutes it took to get a car out. I dunno though, that's a good question. Maybe someone out there that drives a tow truck can suggest how a car would be retrieved out of a liquid-filled pit in a case where sending divers or something would be impossible. I once heard of a case where a guy drove his car into a cesspool, icky! That said though, I doubt much would be gained by testing this on a model. It would depend greatly on the acid used also (plus, of the toxic chemicals KITT identified as spewing out of the semi, he mentioned benzene and PVC, neither of which are acids or even corrosive). Benzene is a major component of gasoline, what causes the odor, and it is a solvent and is toxic, but it's not gonna have any effect on metal. Makes you wonder what sort of combination of chemicals was supposed to be in the pit.