"Lost Knight" Season 3 DVD Sound Effects Missing

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

"Lost Knight" Season 3 DVD Sound Effects Missing

Post by Joe Huth » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:02 pm

I just finished watching "Lost Knight" on the Season 3 DVD and I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. This episode is missing nearly EVERY sound effect! For example, when Doug first stashes KITT in the hills, there's no sound effects for KITT's door opening or the whole ejection sequence. When Doug jumps in KITT once the bad guys spot him, there's no sound for KITT activating and when KITT first takes off, Doug's dialogue ("Woooooooooow!") is different. During the turbo boost over the ravine, there's no sound of the button being pressed and the whole jump has a different sound to it. If the sound on the masters was damaged, couldn't they have just used the sound effects from other copies of the film? Current airings of the episode have all the sound effects.

Joe

KRFAN
Operative

Post by KRFAN » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:19 pm

did u whip the dvd clean (maybe scratch) :?:
:?:

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:26 pm

Scratches on DVD's have nothing to do with missing sound effects, if the disc was scratched then the disc wont play at all if it was bad enough.

This is not tape where if its damaged then sound goes missing.

We're talking about the DVD here.

KRFAN
Operative

Post by KRFAN » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:36 pm

my mistake though it would one of the
dvd defects so called problems .
:dash4:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:33 pm

It seems almost as if Universal ran into copyright problems when trying to include the original sound effects.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:40 pm

Seems odd why its missing, we had a similar problem in the Season 2 set with "Diamonds aren't a girls best friend" episode where the SFX were very quiet from the teaser trailer to the end of part 1.

maybe certain elements were lost/damaged but as pointed out, is there any reason why they couldn't lift the effects from other episodes.

@Lost Knight, very unlikey a copyright issue, so that comment is a bit odd, but I know your being Sarcastic (I think)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 pm

MLAM wrote:@Lost Knight, very unlikey a copyright issue, so that comment is a bit odd, but I know your being Sarcastic (I think)
Yes, I am well aware that Universal wouldn't have a problem like that with their own sound effects. I'm just saying that it seems like the same scenario as original music being removed...

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:00 pm

Lost Knight wrote: Yes, I am well aware that Universal wouldn't have a problem like that with their own sound effects. I'm just saying that it seems like the same scenario as original music being removed...
Yes I see where your coming from now, I guess we'll have to put it down to damaged masters for that episode or some serious QC issues.

All DVD's have there faults though,

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:20 pm

Joe,

I mentioned it in the 'reviews' thread of the Season 3 set and was quite disappointed too.

A lot of people seem to suggest that the original audio reels were damaged, you may well have noticed the sound effect was also changed in 'Knights of the Fast Lane' when KITT shoots the ball out of his boot/trunk at the end of the episode.

LMolineux
Recruit

Post by LMolineux » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:32 pm

I have noticed that Knight Of The Drones also is missing the "REAL INTRO" ITs the Dubbed in Regular Season 3 Intro not the one which was used.

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:45 pm

LMolineux wrote:I have noticed that Knight Of The Drones also is missing the "REAL INTRO" ITs the Dubbed in Regular Season 3 Intro not the one which was used.
That has been pointed on I noticed by KRA review, I have never seen the REAL intro in question though.

The Universal Playback VHS I have which has Knight of the Drones doesn't have the unique intro sequence in question, its the intro sequence that is used throughout Season 3.

Wonder what happened to it though, maybe they lost it?

LMolineux
Recruit

Post by LMolineux » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:48 pm

I have several Tapes with the Real Knight Of The Drones Intro. To me that Intro does it justice in a way Why in the heck would one be shown KITT's NEW LOOK during the INTROtheme of Knight Of The Drones in this DVD Box Set?

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:11 pm

I have to say I'm especailly disappointed that, apart from the occassional screeching of tires, there are NO sound effects at all in the first chase sequence of "Knight of the Chameleon", which is something i've been waiting to get back. I couldn't watch the rest of the episode because of it. I'm just glad i was able to get the original episodes on tape. And, the first chase sequence of "Dead of knight' fell flat for me too. Is there a way we can contact Universal for some kind of explination?
Last edited by KRAvengerII on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:47 pm

These other silent parts ie the chase in Knight of the Chameleon etc were a bit suspect to me as well but I didn't say anything because they are not really my favourite episodes so I didn't watch them much. Didn't know whether it was normal or not.

But I do think we are owed an explanation for this at least, after all, the set claims they are original broadcasts (fell short there with the KOTD pre credits) and the missing and altered sound effects and we all pay for them. It's a bit rude, really.

However, most likely, it was possibly something that was more or less out of their control and not by choice because the first two seasons were okay.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 pm

I sure hope season 4 isn't like this.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:51 pm

How obvious is it?
I'm not familiar with all the different tracks played but I may notice it if on a normal run a KITT sound effect was not heard. For example, if KITT turboboosted without the distinctive sound. I know that example has been posted, but would you say an average fan would notice a lot missing from the series?

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:21 am

Ive noticed this happen in Ice Bandits as well. The scene where Kitt Turbo Boosts onto the Car Carrier there is no Turbo Boost Sound. And there is another scene (maybe a different season 3 episode) where they show Kitt Driving and it was complete silence. If you also notice in Ice Bandits when Kitt and michael first arrive in Napa David makes a slight slipup and calls Charlie Winters Charlie Waters.

And that prince song being removed was really stupid.. I thought the music missing slowed the scene down and it sounded and looked dumb to see the woman dancing and all you hear is their shoes clanking on the stage. Honestly I would rather have them add in that other song they were dancing too when they were practicing woulda made it at least somewhat less distracting.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

kitt_rulz
Operative

Post by kitt_rulz » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:54 am

i was watching Ice Bandits and noticed that Kitt (the donkey) never made any sounds. you just saw his lips move. Y i dont know???
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:47 am

Yea, I'm pretty sure that the donkey never made any sounds in the original/syndicate versions so I think that part is okay.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:14 am

If the post in here was true that Wal Mart has decided not to carry Season 3 do to low sales perhaps Universal decided it wasn't cost effective to pay a sound techinican to remix the sounds in from other locations due to the lack of sales. If we complain to much they might cancel the release of Season 4. Lets Hope not but lets just be thankful for what they have done. I do agree though it is quite irritating and it has ruined the fun of the set.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:37 am

Regarding the "Knight Of the Drones" introduction: Maybe this one wasn't entirely Universal's fault? I'm thinking that maybe the original airing was specially edited to keep the "secret" of K.I.T.T.'s new dashboard until it was officially introduced. In other words, the footage on the DVDs is still the original stock footage, but it was tampered with that one time. As for syndication, perhaps other networks were just using the same edited footage. I don't know...just a guess.

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Regarding the "Knight Of the Drones" introduction: Maybe this one wasn't entirely Universal's fault? I'm thinking that maybe the original airing was specially edited to keep the "secret" of K.I.T.T.'s new dashboard until it was officially introduced. In other words, the footage on the DVDs is still the original stock footage, but it was tampered with that one time. As for syndication, perhaps other networks were just using the same edited footage. I don't know...just a guess.
I'd go with that reason, seeing as it was a "one off" in a sense that it was specially made for TV and maybe has since been junked.

It hasnt been used on the old Universal tape I have with that episode on it so i can only assume its been junked. Season 4's Premiere on the video I have retains the original exclusive Season 4 intro which does not reveal Kitt's SPM mode