K.I.T.T replica on ebay for sale

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

octopus7
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

K.I.T.T replica on ebay for sale

Post by octopus7 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:42 pm

g'day all, i was just looking up stuff on ebay, when i found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-TRA ... dZViewItem

it's a nearly complete K.I.T.T replica, which really just needs the full dash & electronics to make it complete, apparently it even talks!
damn wish i had the cash to buy it and get it shipped to australia, oh well there will be another time :cry:
anyway i'd prefer a replica of K.A.R.R !

KITTluver247
Volunteer

Re: K.I.T.T replica on ebay for sale

Post by KITTluver247 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:30 pm

octopus7 wrote:g'day all, i was just looking up stuff on ebay, when i found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-TRA ... dZViewItem

it's a nearly complete K.I.T.T replica, which really just needs the full dash & electronics to make it complete, apparently it even talks!
damn wish i had the cash to buy it and get it shipped to australia, oh well there will be another time :cry:
anyway i'd prefer a replica of K.A.R.R !
*OMG* :shock: I MUST HAVE K.I.T.T. :kitt:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:38 pm

"Will sell to worldwide only".

LOL, where else does he think it could be sold? In Space?

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:55 am

if i had an extra 11,000 dollars I honestly would buy it... Its definatly worth it especially since the exterior work is done already. I came across this a few days ago but figured someone would post it eventually. I cant believe the bidding is only at 6,000.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:58 am

That car isnt worth it. Its just a regular Trans Am with a Knight Rider bumper/scanner with Turbo Cast Wheels. Thats not even worth $5000.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

KITTluver247
Volunteer

Post by KITTluver247 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:46 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:That car isnt worth it. Its just a regular Trans Am with a Knight Rider bumper/scanner with Turbo Cast Wheels. Thats not even worth $5000.
WELL DAMN WORTH IT TO ME! 8) Just cause it can't Turbo boost *lol* don't mean it isn't worth it. Looks like the real thing, except the seats, minor details don't matter to me. :wink: Besides, like my dad said, it's practically a classic these days! I should have waited instead of buyin' the Honda! DAMN :cry: oh, well, maybe later!

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:23 pm

Well obviously the conversion isnt completed... Im sure the buyer of the car will Complete the Conversion but they at least gave its new owner a good headstart.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:01 pm

A good head start and a huge unnecessary monetary set back. You can find a Trans Am $500-$3,000 (depending on condition) to convert. A Knight Rider nose for arounf $500 and a good scanner around $300. Those wheels are the 14" wheels that are still Plentyful and cheap. Hell, I have a set of those in my possesion. And they go for around $250-$400. Still doesnt calculate what that guy is asking for.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:50 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:A good head start and a huge unnecessary monetary set back. You can find a Trans Am $500-$3,000 (depending on condition) to convert. A Knight Rider nose for arounf $500 and a good scanner around $300. Those wheels are the 14" wheels that are still Plentyful and cheap. Hell, I have a set of those in my possesion. And they go for around $250-$400. Still doesnt calculate what that guy is asking for.
Exactly. Personally I think anything over $3,000 is a rip off for these cars (unless they're fully souped up). Now if the dashboard had fully functional electronics, maybe a few grand more would make some sense, as those altogether are usually expensive.

But, the guy admitted himself in his description that he's seen "some sell for $40,000, some sell for less." And then he went on to say if anyone really knows how much those cars are worth. Seems to me that the "buy it now" price was just a random guess.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:00 pm

The ones that sell for $40,000 are the full blown replicas. The ones that sell for less are the ones that are still in progress. Or if someone need to get rid of a car for certain reasons. (Medical, Debt, etc)

Just noticed that the seller lowered the reserve and buy it now price. I feel soorry if someone buys the car then realize's that the car isnt even worth half of that.

And just look at the rust on the bottom. Looks to be surface rust. But theres no close ups on the underbody and common rust spots.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:06 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Just noticed that the seller lowered the reserve and buy it now price. I feel soorry if someone buys the car then realize's that the car isnt even worth half of that.
I think the original price was around $10,000. Now it's $9,990. Slick. :lol:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:08 pm

I believe the Buy it Now was around $11,000. I guess he thinks he can lower the price to seem like its a deal and finally get it sold. Either way, he's making a hell of a profit.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:11 pm

Well, I think the general mentality of most replica sellers is that these cars are more valuable to Knight Rider fans, whereas they know anybody else in need of a practical car would balk at the prices. And then of course people also want to make back money they put into the car as well, but in this case, the car was bought in this condition already.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:18 pm

I know for a fact this guy put some of these parts on himself. He was selling a 1982 Trans Am nose on eBay awhiel back. I contacted him asking if he still had the 1982 Trans Am and if he was parting it out casue there were a few parts I was interested in. But he sent me some pictures of the car. And it was this one. And your right, most sellers try to get Knight Rider fans to buy the car for what it is. Not for acuracy, just for the car.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:06 pm

I don't like the underside. Too rusty. :( I think my car has less rust than that in the underside and I live in probably the snowyest part of the country (though this year we had very little snow compared to other years).

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:19 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I don't like the underside. Too rusty. :( I think my car has less rust than that in the underside and I live in probably the snowyest part of the country (though this year we had very little snow compared to other years).
Thats what I was thinking, It Really needs some work and some of that rust, Could actually be in the bodywor?.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:01 pm

It could be. When you see THAT much rust you have to think about the structural integrity of the frame. If a trailing arm braket or frame mount snaps, on some cars the tire will be kissing the fender and that can cost a few hundred to fix, *IF* you're lucky enough to know a welder who does cars. That happened to my car, actually. Not a pretty sight. The whole thing went out of alignment (had to have the steering wheel tilted to go STRAIGHT), and the mechanic wouldn't touch the car until the weld work was done.

I know another guy who had a 6000 custom hot rod with an L67 engine (yeah, he put one in, I can show a video even!) That car SCREAMED!! But, the frame went bad so he had to scrap the car (but kept the engine for another 6000 he's going to put it in).

If the frame is bad and sometimes you won't know until like a few months to a couple years later, then you could have nothing but a pile of undrivable scrap before you know it. Once that rust starts, it kinda isn't going to stop very quickly. There's things you could do, but some of those things can be pretty expensive, and depending on the severity of the rusting, maybe not even worth it. :(

I am lucky with my car. It's not in all that bad a shape at all. In fact, pretty good shape for it's age and the useage.

But this T/A in the auction, I'd be quite leary unless I could get a really good close-up in-person inspection of it and look it over with a fine-tooth comb.

I'm not looking for a T/A anyway. Well, kinda not. I mean I'd consider an 80s Firebird with a 4-cyl engine (yes, they made them :) ) if the price tempted me enough. 8)