Knight Rider Season 3 Reviews and General comments

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider Season 3 Reviews and General comments

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:10 am

Just finished watching Knight of the Drones.

The "aloha" comment by KITT when the two chinese guys try to "beat kitt up" was mysteriously edited out.

I thought that was rather baffling.

And we came to our first song deletion here too.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it gave the scene a more serious tone in my opinion but obviously would have loved the song included.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:54 am

Hm, that is a strange ommision. The only copy I had was from a syndicut, didn't have the PAL original. Still, I like that episode more seeing it complete, and the opening sequence is a nice change.

from the other thread:
Here is my Season 3 review beta. I'm gonna rewrite a couple of parts before I put it on the main page of the site, but I wanted to get it up there, as there is a video comparison of the music in Dead of Knight (or lack of) which should be fun for people to see.

http://www.knightrideronline.com/reviews/season3/

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:21 am

All I had was a taped syndicate version of that episode too but the "aloha" comment is there.

I stuck on my vhs copy of 'Knights in the Fast Lane' and compared the sound effect of when KITT shoots the ball out of his trunk/boot at the end of the episode and the effect that appears on the DVD is different.

It's more like a thud on the DVD but the sound effect on the VHS(original version) is like when KITT shoots at a big burst of speed.

From what I'm gathering so far, this is the most tampered with season as of yet and most are for some strange reasons.

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:24 pm

AWESOME REVIEW!!!!
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:31 pm

Is the change in 'Knights In The Fast Lane" possibly due to the audio on the original reel being damaged and Universal being too lazy to recreate the original effect?

krfan1

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Yea I would say that's a good possibility because there is no logical explanation for the sound change.

You know when they remix 5.1 surround films ie Jaws or The Terminator, they are made up of brand new foley effects because the original ST is not strong enough to be re-created?

Well, the KR sets aren't remixed, the audio is in the original mono format so you could be right, krfan!

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:16 am

More likely these changes are markers to identify potential bootleg copies. Re the sound effects, there are still plenty of copies of the episodes in the USA to draw the original soundtrack.

My Knight Rider Archive review will be up shortly.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am

I uploaded the video/audio comparison for Knight of the Drones in addition to the one already there for Dead of Knight.

Dunno, sound effects and crops for boom mikes don't really bug me. They are small details for a greater whole.

Looking forward to your review Paul.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:33 pm

I know I'm beginning to sound like an old record but there are also sound effects missing in 'Lost Knight'.

It's just silent during the scene where Doug tests the eject button. You neither hear the beep of the button being pressed or the ball shooting out of the seat.

Is it really a possibility that the reels were that damaged as I am thinking there could be something else due to this.

I guess these things bug more people than others but it can be pretty annoying if you have a keen eye and ear for these things.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 pm

It's sad that stuff would be missing, but considering that the show is over 20 years old, I'm very impressed so far that we are able even to get as much of them as we can, let alone all 4 seasons on DVD! So I'm not complaining. I'm glad that as much of them as possible was saved.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:37 am

Skav wrote:I know I'm beginning to sound like an old record but there are also sound effects missing in 'Lost Knight'.

It's just silent during the scene where Doug tests the eject button. You neither hear the beep of the button being pressed or the ball shooting out of the seat.
When Doug's bag goes in the air and KITT says: "It's rather remarcable, isn't it?", is that short synth "music" in the background still there?

Looks like it's better not get rid of the Knight Rider vhs-recordings... :?

-KITTfan-

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:47 pm

One more day 'til its released. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:13 pm

24 hours for the release! I'll be waiting for Best Buy to open up tommorow in the morning lol.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:43 pm

So Prince is to blame for all of these song removals, Prince is great, but he is really f'ing these sets up, at least there are no Prince songs in S4?

It's hard to believe that these songs are so expensive, especially since they are only renditions of the original songs, Universal had the dough back then, but now they don't? They gotta be making enough on these sets to garner the song rights? It would be really awesome if it was possible to have 2 versions of each episode, 1 with the actual artists tracks and 1 with the original because some people like those versions more...

At least the Pointer Sisters song is there in the beginning of the second part of the show, I was beginning to think is was gone because you guys had clips of the Golden Fox Club, and that would've really taken away from the episode... But to my relief, it appears to still be there!

I think it's amazing that after all of these years they still have the separate audio tracks for the shows and can take them out, I guess if the songs were molded into the original audio they would have no choice but to include them... I can't really understand sound effects being different, those would seem to be at least molded to the main audio, but I guess not... How many audio elements to these shows were there?

Thanks for the reviews guys, keep up the great work!

SH

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:00 pm

Hello, I'm new here :)

As for the prince tracks, to me they sound original, either there good renditions or original.

I was under the impression that if it was a cover version then technically prince wouldn't have that much to do with the rights as its technically not "his" version being used?

As for the audio tracks, there all seperate in the universal vaults somewhere, so come remastering time they should dig them all out and edit them together again, the lazy way would be just to find some tape with the audio in tacked and use that. So it is possible that the effects track for certain episodes are damaged if stored poorly.

If i recall Superman's effects track has degreded over the years and certain effects had to be redone but even then it didn't sound like the original.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:39 pm

BTW: How do you guys get copies so early? I can understand NEPS, but SKAV in the UK? I wish we were all this special...

Would have loved having this set on Friday, my birthday :-)

SH

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:04 pm

KITTfan wrote:
Skav wrote:I know I'm beginning to sound like an old record but there are also sound effects missing in 'Lost Knight'.

When Doug's bag goes in the air and KITT says: "It's rather remarcable, isn't it?", is that short synth "music" in the background still there?
No, it's just dead silence during the part. I was quite disappointed with this when you put that together with the other stuff that was either changed or left out.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:07 pm

Spyhunter, I was just lucky that I ordered it from a website that posted it early enough.

http://www.loaded247.com

They claim the orders have to travel from North America but I got high doubts given the early time it arrived in.

It was only despatched two days before it arrived. 8)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:28 pm

I just checked on my pre-order at amazon.com (USA) and it says "We are preparing these items for shipment" as of today so I expect they'll be shipping it this week (if not tomorrow). I'm excited. :)

Next I have to save up and pre-order season 4 and I'll be all set!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:49 pm

Correction - I just recieved email that the order has SHIPPED (7:49 pm Eastern Time, Jan. 30, 2006). I won't know when it'll arrive for about 24 hours while the shipping records get updated. But I expect I should recieve it by the end of this week!

KR Marathon time! :)

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 pm

lol yeaH!!! KNIGHT RIDER MARATHON WHOO
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Hmmm.... Strange.. I ordered my set from Amazon USA as well.. But it hasn't even been prepared for shipment yet.. Maybe orders will be shipped first for those in the US coz I'm from outside the US.. I guess mine shd be preparing for shipment anytime soon..

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:27 pm

i have ordered mine on ebay at a shop called movie magic they should ship the second they get it. WHOO!
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:51 am

At least I hope it'll be KR Marathon sometime this week. This week I'm working on a big project for work (actually been the past couple weeks now) and I have to pay bills (start of month, etc.) and my friend is coming over at the end of the week to help me do my taxes (bleah :roll: :? ) So, I might not see anything until this weekend, or may watch a couple episodes a night to unwind after work. I do know I gotta see KvK again! I think that'll be like the first one I go watch. :D

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 am

Amazon USA said they shipped mine on Sunday, which according to some people would be "illegal", LOL, but I guess since I won't have it my hands until at least Tuesday, they are allowed to do that...

SH

P.S. I'm so psyched to get Seasons 3 and 4, because there are so many episodes with extra minutes that I haven't seen since a child and some I never saw! It's so ridiculous that TV makes these cuts in shows, at least this day in age most everyone fast forwards the commercials anyway with their DVR...