KITT AND KARR (pontiac trans am)

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

James_kr
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT AND KARR (pontiac trans am)

Post by James_kr » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:27 pm

When they built KARR what made them build it into a pontiac trans am just like michaels before michael was at the foundation and wilton knight shouldn't have known the michael long had the exact same trans am. i also noticed with the whole number plate debate or karr having a number plate in TDR I have seen in some pictures the number plate (freeze framed) as KNIGHT on KARR. Also I bet you have noticed when KARR drives into the bank you can see the stars from Slammin Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular. I am just wondering what made the FLAG choose the trans am
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Ozzy
Volunteer

Post by Ozzy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:58 pm

All good points, the Stars on the KARR was quite a bad blooper, but I have never thought about Michael Long having a Trans Am, after the Prototype KARR had already been developed? Very Interesting. Good one.
Take a look in the Glove Compartment?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: KITT AND KARR (pontiac trans am)

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:40 pm

James_kr wrote:When they built KARR what made them build it into a pontiac trans am just like michaels before michael was at the foundation and wilton knight shouldn't have known the michael long had the exact same trans am. i also noticed with the whole number plate debate or karr having a number plate in TDR I have seen in some pictures the number plate (freeze framed) as KNIGHT on KARR. Also I bet you have noticed when KARR drives into the bank you can see the stars from Slammin Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular. I am just wondering what made the FLAG choose the trans am
Wilton Knight had his eye on Michael Long for quite some time before he made the move of recruiting him. Of course, things didn't go quite as planned when he and the F.L.A.G. operatives arrived too late and were forced to save his life.

K.A.R.R.'s A.I. had been in development for a few years before K.I.T.T. was brought into the picture, and rather than believing it's just a coincidence that Michael Long happened to drive a very similar Trans Am, I'd like to think that while Wilton had kept tabs on him, he was inspired to incorporate KARR into a Trans Am.

Originally, the military was interested in KARR, in which Wilton had turned them down because he didn't believe in violence. So that right there suggests that the vehicle KARR was intended to be wasn't always a Trans Am. So, bottom line, I think he was inspired from Michael Long's car way before "Knight Of the Phoenix."
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Plot lines...

Post by scottab21 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:55 pm

The bottom line is that this show was a product of the 80's, just like so many other ones before and after it. The plot lines weren't always researched to THAT extent. Even though out of all the shows of the 80's, Knight Rider is still my favorite!

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:58 pm

I think it was just a coincidence.

That and Michael Longs Trans Am was a recaro edition, not
the viscount version that KITT is. (Different interior).

As far as KARR having the KNIGHT plate, they obviously were
just using a KITT during his scenes. Just another Blooper. :wink:
Brian - Knightdriver.com

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:02 am

Another thing that I notice (This is getting off subject) When the Cops, or the Bad guys run a background check on Michael, they find out that he did not exsit until x-amount of years eariler. I would think that if I was running FLAG, and I did want people or the whole world to find out that Michael Long is Michael Knight reincarated and have the proverbial sh*t hit the fan, so to speak, that I would have made a exstentive background for Michael, going has far back has I can go. And in the eps "A Good Knight's Work," I would have some random corpes in the coffin of Michael Long, just incase anyone went off 'grave robbing' at night.

*Sorry, I just needed to get that out*
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:41 pm

Yeah, I suppose if Wilton had been trailing Michael, and wanted some AI to fit his car then he would try it out first on a car of the same model. During the development, a prototype was made-KARR-and then when the time came, they were able to put the new AI in Michael's car.

How they knew he would survive a shot to the head (unless that was just a convenient way to cover their act) is hard to say. Also not everyone sees KITT as Michaels original car.

Spanish knight
Stranger

Post by Spanish knight » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:06 am

I don´t think the script writers had in mind such a story for Michael´s background. I think they just wanted an evil car to do things kitt wasn´t suppose to do.
come on kitt gimme all you got

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:34 am

Spanish knight wrote:I don´t think the script writers had in mind such a story for Michael´s background. I think they just wanted an evil car to do things kitt wasn´t suppose to do.
Yeah, I don't think they thought about it that much, even though some background history must have been created

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:50 pm

no michael long car was an ordinary trans am with pmd seat ,not a recaro

89 formula
Recruit

Re: Plot lines...

Post by 89 formula » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:05 pm

scottab21 wrote:The bottom line is that this show was a product of the 80's, just like so many other ones before and after it. The plot lines weren't always researched to THAT extent. Even though out of all the shows of the 80's, Knight Rider is still my favorite!
I couldn't agree more. As with any show, you have to expect some plot contradictions which we'll have to overlook. And if you think about it, if the foundation had discovered that KARR was evil, in the real world, they would not have built a whole new prototype but simply replaced the CPU...but then you would not have a story for two of the best KR episodes.

knghtrdr
Recruit

Post by knghtrdr » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Wilton knew micheal from when he was going out with his niece maria.when maria's mom passed,later on,micheal did meet wilton,but wilton never made his move for micheal untill he was sick and untill his secret of KARR was at stake!

I read this from someone on here,I forget who,but it was about KARR and why he was diactivated,before pilot of the pheonix even started!
Turbo boost KITT!!!One man can make a difference!!!

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't think the producers and the writers of the show really put that much thought into it in the beginning. KARR came later as a new topic for another episode. Hence, the similarites between KITT and KARR in "trust doesn't rust". KARR was basically another KITT replica and they probably just had a brain fart and needed something for another episode. Besides that, when "Knight of the Phoenix" origanilly aired, they had no idea whether or not the show was going to be a hit. Pontiac saw it as an opprotunity to advertise the then new for '82 Trans Am, hence, all the "some guy with a black Trans Am.." lines in the episode. I think they said "Trans Am" like 10 times in the first episode alone. GM didn't even want the T/A to be in it to begin with, but some producer was friends with one of the head guys at GM and talked him into it. They said something along the lines of "This sounds too much like 'My Mother the Car', we're not interested in this and this isn't the image we want for the Trans Am." I guess Glen Larson was approched about using the new Nissan 300zx and he said "No, doesn't Pontiac have a new Trans Am out?" So Glen wanted KITT to be a Trans Am from the beginning. This is why I say KITT should be a T/A again for the movie.
#*CK YOU KITT!!!