What car would KITT be today? Don't read if tired of topic

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

89 formula
Recruit
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:22 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chicago, IL

What car would KITT be today? Don't read if tired of topic

Post by 89 formula » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:12 pm

Being new to this site, I would guess that some of you may to be tired of this topic, but I'm certain that there are other KITT fans who are not.

I regard the 3rd generation (82-92) Firebirds as the best looking cars ever made. Note that this opinion may have been made influenced by my childhood admiration of KITT. Yesterday, while reading a thread on this site, I started thinking that if they were to make a new KR movie (or TV series) "which of today's cars would be good enough to be KITT". To me, the 82 Trans AM was both an aggresive, bad boy car, but on the other hand it was very classy.

The only car that comes to mind today is the Viper, but I'm curious what other KR fans think.

User avatar
rulloa81
Operative
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:26 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by rulloa81 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:42 pm

NXS

User avatar
knightridergundam
Operative
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:46 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: The cockpit of my Gundam
Contact:

Post by knightridergundam » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:49 pm

I say.....
1)Mitsubishi Eclipse
2)'02 Trans Am
3)The new Corvette
4)Nissan Skyline
5)The old school '82 Trans Am
6)Ford Mustang
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

User avatar
JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:12 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Yonkers, NY
Contact:

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:59 pm

BMW M6 or New Trans Am

Lyn
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1010
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:34 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Lyn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Well, I think KITT would still the same car model as he was in the 1980s, but with hugely high-tech Internet access, 2 kinds of a convertible mode, and almost all the gadgets installed except KITT would have olive oil jets instead of the oil jets on the show.
This is totally theoretical stuff from me.....

User avatar
Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:42 pm


User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3430
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:20 pm

I was watching KRO from team knight rider and I was shocked when theyused a ferrari instead of a new trans am body or even something like a 1997 mitsubishi 3000gt.I like that body for some reason.You modify the nose and you got a pretty good kitt.

Anyone know which year the ferrari was that was used in that episode?

89 formula
Recruit
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:22 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by 89 formula » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:07 am

Lyn wrote:Well, I think KITT would still the same car model as he was in the 1980s, but with hugely high-tech Internet access, 2 kinds of a convertible mode, and almost all the gadgets installed except KITT would have olive oil jets instead of the oil jets on the show.
This is totally theoretical stuff from me.....


This is a good point, perhaps part two of the question should be "what new features would the new KITT have?". The only thing I can imagine is an invisibility cloak (sort of like the Klingon Birds of Prey had on Star Trek). Actually technology is advancing at such pace that bending light around an object to make it invisible is not THAT far fetched.

By the way, does anyone remember the KR episode where KITT is talking to a young computer guru and brags about the size of his memory banks? As I recall, KITT's storage capacity was something like 300 kilobytes....how times have changed....

Haley
Volunteer
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:02 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: A world of criminals who operate above the law

Post by Haley » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:37 pm

I honestly think that the Nissan Murano would make a good KITT. It's not a fast sports car, but it may not matter since Knight Industries will give it unlimited speed. Visually, it gives me the impression of being very futuristic looking and yet rugged plus a scanner would look great over the grill.

I also have to agree with Scott on the Cadillac XLR, that is one hot car.

User avatar
TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:09 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn, NY 11208
Contact:

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:42 pm

1987 Toyota Supra Turbo!!! :dance:



Sorry, Im a Supraholic. 8) :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

89 formula
Recruit
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:22 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by 89 formula » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:18 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:
Sorry, Im a Supraholic. 8) :lol:


Can't blame you, man....I'm still recovering from the mental shock I got on the day when I found out a stock chevy 350 is no match for the twin turbo 96-ish Supra....the doctor is saying I'm doing much better now.... :shock:

User avatar
TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:09 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn, NY 11208
Contact:

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:30 pm

89 formula wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:
Sorry, Im a Supraholic. 8) :lol:


Can't blame you, man....I'm still recovering from the mental shock I got on the day when I found out a stock chevy 350 is no match for the twin turbo 96-ish Supra....the doctor is saying I'm doing much better now.... :shock:


Ahaha!!! :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Haley
Volunteer
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:02 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: A world of criminals who operate above the law

Post by Haley » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:10 pm

89 formula wrote:
Can't blame you, man....I'm still recovering from the mental shock I got on the day when I found out a stock chevy 350 is no match for the twin turbo 96-ish Supra....the doctor is saying I'm doing much better now.... :shock:


LOL

Don't feel bad, I have an '87 Trans AM and a few months back, I got blown away by one of those Neons XRT!!! After that incident, I could probably use some of that mental therapy myself :D

User avatar
PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: OHIO

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:36 pm

Haley wrote:
89 formula wrote:
Can't blame you, man....I'm still recovering from the mental shock I got on the day when I found out a stock chevy 350 is no match for the twin turbo 96-ish Supra....the doctor is saying I'm doing much better now.... :shock:


LOL

Don't feel bad, I have an '87 Trans AM and a few months back, I got blown away by one of those Neons XRT!!! After that incident, I could probably use some of that mental therapy myself :D


It's SRT. And that sucks. The 98-02 T/A's didn't have that problem, I should know, I have an '02. Which brings me to my next point, KITT was, is, and always will/should be a Trans Am. Period. Just like the General Lee is a '69 Charger, Herbie is a VW Beetle, and the Starsky and Hutch car is a '76 Torino. When they make this movie, they better use a '82-'02 T/A. If KITT is anything other than a T/A, it's not KR, and it's not KITT. If KITT comes back as a Scion Xb :lol: I'm boycotting the movie. That was one of the main reasons I liked the show. Hell, in the first season or so, they even made a point to still call KITT a Trans Am. KITT's a T/A, thats it.
#*CK YOU KITT!!!

KentuckyKITT
Rookie
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:34 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: KY
Contact:

Post by KentuckyKITT » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 am

Let's see...I'd have to say:

1982 Trans Am (hopefully)
2002 Trans Am
Turbo Interceptor (from "The Wraith")
The Dodge Charger Concept Car (which looks similar to a Trans Am....probably why they didnt build it)

89 formula
Recruit
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:22 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by 89 formula » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:37 am

PHEONIX_WS6 wrote:
It's SRT. And that sucks. The 98-02 T/A's didn't have that problem, I should know, I have an '02. Which brings me to my next point, KITT was, is, and always will/should be a Trans Am. Period. Just like the General Lee is a '69 Charger, Herbie is a VW Beetle, and the Starsky and Hutch car is a '76 Torino. When they make this movie, they better use a '82-'02 T/A. If KITT is anything other than a T/A, it's not KR, and it's not KITT. If KITT comes back as a Scion Xb :lol: I'm boycotting the movie. That was one of the main reasons I liked the show. Hell, in the first season or so, they even made a point to still call KITT a Trans Am. KITT's a T/A, thats it.


I think most KR fans would agree that the only true KITT is a black 82 Trans AM. That said, if a new movie was to be made, I would argue that they'd need to use a more modern car, as the 3rd gen F-body is now too dated for the role. And no, it would not be a true KITT whether it was a newer Trans AM or something completely different (it would actually need a different name). Hence, at the risk of being banished for blasphemy, I posed that question for this thread.

P.S. Since my 350 small block became a supercharged 383 with a "barely legal" cam, I no longer have problems with Supras, or fancy Neons......nor '02 Trans AMs for that matter :D

User avatar
PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: OHIO

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:14 pm

89 formula wrote:I think most KR fans would agree that the only true KITT is a black 82 Trans AM. That said, if a new movie was to be made, I would argue that they'd need to use a more modern car, as the 3rd gen F-body is now too dated for the role. And no, it would not be a true KITT whether it was a newer Trans AM or something completely different (it would actually need a different name). Hence, at the risk of being banished for blasphemy, I posed that question for this thread.

P.S. Since my 350 small block became a supercharged 383 with a "barely legal" cam, I no longer have problems with Supras, or fancy Neons......nor '02 Trans AMs for that matter :D


All they would have to do is basically remake the pilot episode in modern day. Like make it where the guy has an old '82 T/A and the K.I. fixes it up for him, becoming KITT. Saying the computers were old military surplus or an old prototype that never got to see the light of day until now. Just have it make no connection to the series. But of course, have basically the same theme. A good mix of seriousness and comedy. What most of you guys are forgetting, this movie has to appeal to ALL audiences. Not just die hard KR fans. If they made the movie just to make the die hards happy, the movie is pretty much a guarenteed flop. Movie studios are in a business to make money, and if they don't think the film has potential, it won't get financed. No one in the film industry will throw millions down on a movie just to make 10,000 people happy. Why do you guys think they made The Dukes and Starsky and Hutch the way they did? To make money, and appeal to more people. If they used the same actors, and same plots, they would've failed. The die hards and car guys would've loved it, thats about it. And having Hasselhoff play the main "star" again won't work since he's in his 50's. No one wants to see a 50+ year old guy in action and picking up chicks. I know this may upset some of you but it's true. He's better off just making a cameo appearence. Think about it. They can't pick up where they left off in KR 2000, half of KITT's chip is in a womens head, Micheal retired, KITT's a Banshee concept car, thats futuristic, but at the same time outdated at this point, Devon's dead, for the show and in real life. Not to mention most people don't even recall the KR2000 movie, so the movie wouldn't make much sense to them anyway. The KR2000 thing was basically just an epilogue to the series, since they never had a real final episode. It was just to wrap things up, that's it. And for the people who think Hasselhoff should make the movie pick up where it left off in '86. No, because again, Devon is dead, and all of the actors are all 20 years older now. Micheal would go from being 32 to 52, in a matter of weeks. that makes sense. IMHO i would rather have KR be what they did to The Dukes and S&H than try to make them totally serious. Maybe then they can create a whole new fan base and a new interest in the old shows. :)

P.S I think you might I have a problem with mine.... :twisted:
#*CK YOU KITT!!!

Haley
Volunteer
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:02 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: A world of criminals who operate above the law

Post by Haley » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:06 am

You're right Phoenix, times have changed and if they wait another 10 years to make the movie, DH will be 62....then one of KITT's new features can be a handicapped parking permit. As far as Devon, he didn't look alive when the series was on, so his present "condition" should make no difference. Also, considering how liberal Hollywierd is today, we may not even want a movie (I suspect that, among other things, it would have to include a gay relationship....between KITT and the 62 year old Michael!!!!).

P.S. I'm picking up an '06 Corvette sometime after the holidays, I too may have a challenge for the supercharged 383.

peter
Recruit
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am

which car

Post by peter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:27 am

Well here are my favorites.
1 3 generation trans am 1982 trans am or 1989 firebird formula.
2 1998-2002 trans am
3 2004 mustang gives a more distinquesed look
4 2005 mustang gives a cool retro look
5 2005 renault megance cc cool convertible look.


All the best
Peter

User avatar
knightridergundam
Operative
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:46 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: The cockpit of my Gundam
Contact:

Post by knightridergundam » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:46 pm

PHEONIX_WS6 wrote:
89 formula wrote:I think most KR fans would agree that the only true KITT is a black 82 Trans AM. That said, if a new movie was to be made, I would argue that they'd need to use a more modern car, as the 3rd gen F-body is now too dated for the role. And no, it would not be a true KITT whether it was a newer Trans AM or something completely different (it would actually need a different name). Hence, at the risk of being banished for blasphemy, I posed that question for this thread.

P.S. Since my 350 small block became a supercharged 383 with a "barely legal" cam, I no longer have problems with Supras, or fancy Neons......nor '02 Trans AMs for that matter :D


All they would have to do is basically remake the pilot episode in modern day. Like make it where the guy has an old '82 T/A and the K.I. fixes it up for him, becoming KITT. Saying the computers were old military surplus or an old prototype that never got to see the light of day until now. Just have it make no connection to the series. But of course, have basically the same theme. A good mix of seriousness and comedy. What most of you guys are forgetting, this movie has to appeal to ALL audiences. Not just die hard KR fans. If they made the movie just to make the die hards happy, the movie is pretty much a guarenteed flop. Movie studios are in a business to make money, and if they don't think the film has potential, it won't get financed. No one in the film industry will throw millions down on a movie just to make 10,000 people happy. Why do you guys think they made The Dukes and Starsky and Hutch the way they did? To make money, and appeal to more people. If they used the same actors, and same plots, they would've failed. The die hards and car guys would've loved it, thats about it. And having Hasselhoff play the main "star" again won't work since he's in his 50's. No one wants to see a 50+ year old guy in action and picking up chicks. I know this may upset some of you but it's true. He's better off just making a cameo appearence. Think about it. They can't pick up where they left off in KR 2000, half of KITT's chip is in a womens head, Micheal retired, KITT's a Banshee concept car, thats futuristic, but at the same time outdated at this point, Devon's dead, for the show and in real life. Not to mention most people don't even recall the KR2000 movie, so the movie wouldn't make much sense to them anyway. The KR2000 thing was basically just an epilogue to the series, since they never had a real final episode. It was just to wrap things up, that's it. And for the people who think Hasselhoff should make the movie pick up where it left off in '86. No, because again, Devon is dead, and all of the actors are all 20 years older now. Micheal would go from being 32 to 52, in a matter of weeks. that makes sense. IMHO i would rather have KR be what they did to The Dukes and S&H than try to make them totally serious. Maybe then they can create a whole new fan base and a new interest in the old shows. :)

P.S I think you might I have a problem with mine.... :twisted:


Interesting, to say the least.... Then who would you cast has the new "Michael Knight", "Bonnie", and "Devon"?
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

User avatar
PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:05 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: OHIO

Re: which car

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:09 pm

peter wrote:Well here are my favorites.
1 3 generation trans am 1982 trans am or 1989 firebird formula.
2 1998-2002 trans am
3 2004 mustang gives a more distinquesed look
4 2005 mustang gives a cool retro look
5 2005 renault megance cc cool convertible look.


All the best
Peter


I agree with the first 2. Use the 3rd gen like I said. Or since the car is really outdated use a 98-02 T/A and put a differnet dash in with new features. I have no idea what actors to use gimmie some time to think about that one. Bonnie and Micheal would have to both be actors in thier mid 20's. Maybe use Micheal Caine for Devon, the guy from Austin Powers 3. The British chap who played his dad. I actually have to think who would play Wilton Knight since it would be a remake of the pilot. Stay tuned...
#*CK YOU KITT!!!

User avatar
knightridergundam
Operative
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:46 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: The cockpit of my Gundam
Contact:

Post by knightridergundam » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:55 pm

<b>Now I know that I am going to get shot for saying this......</b>

I think that the people that I think that are suited for the roles of Micheal, Bonnie, and Devon are:

1)Michael Knight - Michael Shanks, or that guy who played Chase on "24"
2)Bonnie - still debating on this part
3)Devon - Micheal Caine

Well here are my ideas.... what do you think??
And, yes I will be wearing the target on my chest all week, so please feel free to shoot anytime....


<b>And....</b>

I think that the Knight Rider theme would have to be redone... Not completely trashed and redone, no, just some tweaks here and there....

I think that the best people that should do this is....

1)Linkin Park (LPST, thank you)
2)Paul Oakenfold (If you haven't heard his remake of the Knight Rider theme.... find it, or e-mail me and I can help you)
3)Fatboy Slim (You got to find his remake to... it's pimp...)

I can go on and on, but I won't.

So what do you think.... Debate people, DEBATE!!!!
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

User avatar
knghtrdr
Recruit
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:02 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by knghtrdr » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:41 am

there is plenty of room for updated the original KITT,no need to change the model,if they use anything other then the original trans am for this movie,thumbs down into the gutter!

For an older car,KITT was high tech,the interior completely computerized while keeping the sleek sporty look,KEEP KITT as he was,with updated features.Of course,skip the double vision view in the windshield,that sucks too!
Turbo boost KITT!!!One man can make a difference!!!

coppernite
Stranger
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:46 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by coppernite » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm

hmm.... after reading this, I have to say that I'm glad I not the only one who wants to keep KITT the model he was, just modified. After all, no matter when you grew up, people will always love the classics, and there's no way they coldn't either. KITT (and the '82 T/A ingeneral) was a beautiful car. After all, he did have the MBS.......

Haley
Volunteer
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:02 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: A world of criminals who operate above the law

Post by Haley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:34 pm

coppernite wrote:hmm.... after reading this, I have to say that I'm glad I not the only one who wants to keep KITT the model he was, just modified. After all, no matter when you grew up, people will always love the classics, and there's no way they coldn't either. KITT (and the '82 T/A ingeneral) was a beautiful car. After all, he did have the MBS.......


It appears that there is a number of Knight Rider fans who share your opinion, and I have to admit that part of me agrees completely. Would you then set the movie back in the 80's? Would you still use the 50+ year old David Hasselhoff for Michael Knight's role?

Locked