Knight Rider game for Commodore 64

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

LightForceKittFan
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider game for Commodore 64

Post by LightForceKittFan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:59 am

I don't know if this has been introduced already, but there's a Knight Rider game for the legendary Commodore 64 too.
I don't have the 'real' game, but I downloaded it from the internet and played it using a C64 emulator.
The game itself is quite simple but difficult. I haven't been able to get anywhere, the time runs out too quickly. Using the trainer is of course an option. The fun part is that when driving, you can give Kitt the wheel and shoot the helicopters yourself or let Kitt shoot and you steer. Kitt doesn't drive very fast, Michael can drive full speed.
The graphics are quite simple, but the KR theme is good. What I missed was outside view of Kitt.
BTW, have you ever heard of those SKUDs (Standard Kitt Unit of Distance) before? I haven't. Are they just invented for the game?

You can download the CCS64 emulator here: http://www.computerbrains.com/ccs64

The game can be downloaded here: http://www.tld-crew.de/prog/knight_rider.ZIP

Here's some snapshots taken by me:
ImageImage
Michael: "Someone tried to kill me yesterday."
Devon: "I have an alibi."

>>>CLICK HERE

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:50 am

Oh, the good old C64 game! I have this, it was one of the zillion games I got with my Commodore. It's my favourite C64 game, and it's far better than KR: The Game. Really!

knightriderno2
Recruit

Post by knightriderno2 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:50 pm

Hmmm, looks like a interesting game.
Go to this site for FREE game soundtracks: http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=527

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:16 pm

I am having trouble understanding the mechanics of the game.Here is what I can tell from it.You pick a state.If you choose to switch modes of driving kitt,you can go over 8 miles per hour and really look for some bad guys.If you allow Kitt to drive,he only goes up to 8 miles per hour and you can navigate his laser by pressing 1-move forward,,~-breaks,2-right,tab-left.When you are in a overhead view of Michael You can't walk around at all.I must have pressed every button.Not to mention....Wheres the freakin turbo boost!!!!!!

LightForceKittFan
Rookie

Some help

Post by LightForceKittFan » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:36 am

Knight Racer: I'm trying to help you now.
Did you download the CCS64 emulator? If you did, then read the "ccs64.html" file located in the folder you extracted the program. In that file there's explanation of the keys needed.
I guess you found the "F10" menu button, because you managed to play the game.

In the CCS64, press the F10, navigate using the arrow keys to the row that says "options". Then choose "Input...".
There you can see "Control port 1" which means in real C64 the joystick in port 1. Make sure the Mode is Key-Set and a number.
In "Control port 2" = Joystick port 2, make sure the mode is key-set and another number, not the same as in the first one.

Then choose the option "Define Joystick Keyset". Here you can define the keys to use. If you define keys to eg. Keyset 1, you can try these: up=keypad 8, down=keypad 5, right=keypad 6 and left=keypad 4. For fire button 1 I suggest right Ctrl or Alt Gr.

For Keyset 2 you can use these: up=W, down=S, right=D and left=A. For fire button 1 choose Left Alt.

Don't use left Ctrl, because it's the Commodore button (in the manual it says the Commodore button is Esc, but it isn't). Choose the best layout for yourself.

Ok. Now you have the controls set. The game uses the Joystick port 2.
When the game has loaded, intro screen appears. This is skipped by striking space. Then there's the trainer. Press "Y" or "N" for every option.

Then there's the screen where you have to choose the mission. Navigate using the "joystick" buttons. Press fire to choose.
In the map view you can choose the place where to drive. The first one is a place to visit in the present location. Read Kitt's comments at the bottom of the screen.

If you want to drive, choose a city and press fire.
You can switch between driving and shooting by using the left Ctrl. Your option is always in white on the right side of Kitt's dash. If it says "steer M" in white, then you're steering.

Sometimes the letters are in the wrong place, but the white text is on the right anyway. When driving you can steer using the keys defined. Up-key accelerates, down-key brakes and left-right steers.

If you want to shoot those helicopters, press left ctrl and let Kitt do the driving. He will keep the speed you last drove. Move the aiming crosshair using the keys and press fire to shoot. The laser won't shoot if there's no target, I think.

When you enter a building, Michael can be moved around with those same keys. Down-key moves Michael towards the bottom of the screen, up-key towards the top of the screen etc. You can't shoot 'cause Michael doesn't ever carry a gun. You just have to avoid the guards. There might not be anything in the building you entered, then listen to Kitt, he will tell you what to do.

About the famous Turbo Boost, I don't know. It seems it doesn't exist. I can't believe the game makers forgot all about it. I hope it'll appear somewhere during the game. There was no mention about it in the documents that came with the game file. Very odd.

I hope this helps you all! :)
Michael: "Someone tried to kill me yesterday."
Devon: "I have an alibi."

>>>CLICK HERE

black knight2000
Operative

Post by black knight2000 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:21 pm

i got the game on the old atria 2600
allways loved knight rider

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:17 pm

Does anybody know what's the ending of the game? I know that I'm lame, but I could never play it to the end. The time was too short...