What do you want in the movie? 3rd gen, 4th gen, or non T/A.

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What vehicle do you want in the new KR movie?

3rd Gen (82-92) - The original 80's car is best.
62%
4th Gen KITT (93-02) - Round is the future, square is the past.
31%
Other - The T/A line is old and dead, use a REAL new car.
7%

Total votes: 45

BlazeFox
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What do you want in the movie? 3rd gen, 4th gen, or non T/A.

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:43 am

Don't be afraid of expressing your opinion!
Image - Image - Image
http://www.knightreplicas.com/database/ ... eplicaID=7

BlazeFox
Rookie

I say 4th gen.

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:00 am

I was once a die-hard purist like the rest of you and thought nothing could take the place of 80's KITT, but I saw this conversion by César Gamiño at the 2001 T/A Nats' and later found his listing on Knight Replicas and just kept staring at it. Its got potential! I love how its so sloped, no hard angles. The stock 4th gen nose is too blunt, but that Banshee nose is really sharp. To see KITT as anything other than a Pontiac would break the hearts of most fans, but this "updating" idea has a compromise. The 4th gen is a newer car but but still within the Firebird/Trans Am line. Personally I would rather not see KITT as a Lotus, Corvette, or VW.
Last edited by BlazeFox on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:44 am

The Banshee nose isnt all that great looking. I would prefer my 4th gen nose from Mr. Don Colie. Over at Advance Designs In Automotive Technology
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:20 am

TurbomanKnight wrote: I would prefer my 4th gen nose from Mr. Don Colie. Over at http://www.adiautotech.com
Its cool how they made places for the foglamps and stuff on a 4th gen BUT, the scanner is way too far down. Makes me think of the pilot episode bits where KITT's scanner was in the wrong place. Other than that one lil problem that's a very nice nose design.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:04 am

I believe that KITT is a '82 Trans Am the same as the General Lee is a '69 Dodge Charger.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:05 am

I really like the 4th generation rounder cars and I wouldn't mind too much if they were used in the KR movie.

I still favour the original one though as to me, that's what's KITT looks like and feels more like something capable of having a mind of its own. Although that's only as I have only heard the original 'talk'.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:10 am

andy-kitt wrote:I believe that KITT is a '82 Trans Am the same as the General Lee is a '69 Dodge Charger.
Non-techie shows like Dukes of Hazzard or Herby wouldn't make much sense if they were updated to look futuristic, but Knight Rider or Batman, that's a different story because it was all about cool technology and spy gear. KITT had an ominous look to him, so did the 90's Batmobile, reminded me of a big black bird. I think the 4th gens have a bit of that bird-esque look to them.
Last edited by BlazeFox on Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:18 am

I want to see THIS ONE! :twisted: :wink:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:31 am

The TA in the pics is the pefect one for the new film!

Just change the nose because it looks too pointy and perhaps, put change the wheel plates to the bowling cap ones used in the original series.

Then we have our new KITT, IMO.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:39 am

Skav wrote:The TA in the pics is the pefect one for the new film! Just change the nose because it looks too pointy and perhaps, change the wheel plates to the bowling cap ones used in the original series. Then we have our new KITT, IMO.
(I'll assume you meant the pics at the top): I agree, it certaintly won't be KITT without those black ball hubcaps and a nice wrap around digital dash with TV's. I don't really like the stock 4th gen noses cuz they're too short and blunt, so was the stock nose on 1982 T/A's, not enough room for the scanner. A modded nose would be a must and the scanner has to be in the right place. It looks awkward if its too low in the header panel of the nose. I like Cesar's nose though, makes me think of a raven's beak. I also like how everything on it is almost seamless, you can barely tell where the headlights are, everything is so flush.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:26 pm

I don't think any of the 4th generaltion trans ams look right for kitt. Maybe the 2002 trans am might work if they do something different with the air in-take nostrils becuase it doesnt look right over the scanner. I pick the 82 Trans am because it holds the character and personallity of Kitt. but I wouldn't mind seeing some brand new that hasn't come out yet so that it could give you the feeling that it's a car from the future.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:32 pm

I think the 82 orginal should be in it but the focus should be something new. I said other but technically don't think it should be anything you could go down to a dealer and pick up.

Although the 4th gens look nice (especially Knightdriver's :wink: ) I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense of make it the new KITT. Sure all us die-hards see the connection, KITT-82 Trans Am, new KITT newer Trans Am, but the fact is the newest model available is a 3 year old used car. I don't think the average movie goer would even notice the gesture or care. You'd get the same effect if you used a new Vette or something. Plus why would the most advanced car in the world be based on a dead car line and an out of date body style? That would be like making the Orginal KITT an old 70s GTO or something in 1982. It needs to stay modern to keep up with the mythos of KR.

If it is something production it needs to be something exotic and not available to the general public. Like the Dodge Interceptor prototype from the Wraith. Running down to Ford or Mitsubishi for a new Mustang or Eclipse just to throw a scanner and black paint job on would be dumb. Let's get Barris or Foose and see what they can create from scratch.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:05 pm

NO! Not Barris or Foose! They would make KITT into a pimped out Hot Rod Cruiser!!! :shock: I think the original Trans Am should be used. It would be kinda like a old school feel to it. Make it feel like old times. Like when a guy in his 50's buys a car he drove during high school. Makwe it feel like Michael is getting in touch with old times. Im not too sure if you guys understand where I am coming from. But this would be a cool concept.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:40 pm

Original Trans Am all the way. Besides, if there were only a new vehicle, most fans would probably complain about the new car and miss the old '82. As long as the original is there, it will help smooth the transition into the next vehicle, whatever that may be. Besides, I can't really imagine any real Knight Rider fan complaining that K.I.T.T. is the same as he always was.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:20 pm

I think the original car that was used for KITT should be used, but with updated hybrid technology, and/or the hydrogen fuel KITT had in the original series.
Perhaps KITT should be programmed for Internet access as part of the car's computer......

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:33 am

Well I guess I'm not a real fan (odd after 23 years of viewing and owning a replica :roll: ) but I think it's time for something new. Using the old KITT would seal it's fate as a Starsky and Hutch/Dukes of Hazard 2-hour running 80s joke.

Didn't KITT have internet access in the show? He had to have something to access all those databases. The internet has been around since the early 70s. It's only recently that it's been made all pretty and accessable for most people. Maybe he should just get a browser update :lol:

K.A.R.R. Crazed
Volunteer

Post by K.A.R.R. Crazed » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:53 am

well I think only the 80's TA, because I'm from the time when there was only "ONE" K.I.T.T. you younger peeps are now so use to seeing all of these "NEW" copycat wannabe K.I.T.T. sorry but it's jus NOT K.I.T.T. me :(

But, I do understand that change is a must, but make Mods to the original TA an make that one more up to date :)

This is K.I.T.T. an K.A.R.R. (nothing else) :P

Ok, look at it this way, it's like using Ben Affleck as Michael Knight an having David Hasselhoff's voice coming out of Ben's mouth, it's the same way I see K.I.T.T.
If this makes sense at all :?

If they use a NEW TA, it's should Not have K.I.T.T.'s voice, in fact it should Not even be called K.I.T.T. cause it's NOT him, call it K.E.T.T. or something else with a new voice an personality.

...an if I find out that K.I.T.T. is a "NEWER" TA, I'll prolly won't go see the movie, sorry it's jus how I feel :(

This what I wanna see in the new movie :D

Last edited by K.A.R.R. Crazed on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:03 am

As much as i love the original trans-am as KITT, it would be nice to see him get an update to the later model 4th gen.. Something like that one from Advanced Design [with the scanner being just under the hood lip], however i agree with SKAV in still having the bowling ball caps.

A simple "no-bling" approach is the best.

AP

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:49 am

Definitely 80s style! I am impartial to that. :) But, a nice ram-air 4th Gen might not be too bad. But I'd miss the 3rd gen. I also would love to see KARR come back as a black/silver 3rd gen too.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:40 am

Army_F_Body wrote:But the fact is the newest model available is a 3 year old used car. I don't think the average movie goer would even notice the gesture or care. You'd get the same effect if you used a new Vette or something. Plus why would the most advanced car in the world be based on a dead car line and an out of date body style?
Why would they use a 3 year old car? Maybe the new Michael just so happened to drive a 4th gen when he was a police officer. Remember, in the 80's pilot, Michael just so happened to drive an 82 T/A. Ironic that KARR would also turn out to be an 82 T/A. Perhaps old Mike was in such a long coma that it gave old Knight Industries time enough to screw up once and still try again to make a safe model.

For the KR of our present, maybe the excuse behind using a 3 year old car is that it took them so long to design and perfect the AI.
New Mike just so happened to drive a 4th gen and new Knight Industries just so happened to be using that line for their current base.

I agree about the nostrils though, and the stock nose on 4th gen's is just too short to use (just as the stock noses on the 82's were too short to use) I like how Cesar's car lacks huge nostrils, the nose is long and the scanner is in the right place, also the headlight's are flush with the nose and hood. On that photoshopped pic the scanner doesn't fit the short nose and the headlights stick out like sore thumbs.
Last edited by BlazeFox on Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:54 am

K.A.R.R. Crazed wrote:well I think only the 80's TA, because I'm from the time when there was only "ONE" K.I.T.T. you younger peeps are now so use to seeing all of these "NEW" copycat wannabe K.I.T.T. sorry but it's jus NOT K.I.T.T. to me :(
LOL, younger peeps... I was born in 1981.

I grew up on a steady dose of KR and Dukes of Hazzard and have been a fan since I was a lil tyke. I don't care so much if its re-done to appeal to a new generation. Spiderman, Hulk, X-men and Fantastic 4 were redone to appeal to a new generation and they did a good job of re-telling and it breathed new life into those franchises. 80's KITT was amazing back in the days when Internet was a dream and Atari was the best system available. It's the 2000's now; the era of web-shopping and Xbox.
Last edited by BlazeFox on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Cameos, cameos, cameos!

Post by BlazeFox » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:26 am

Lost Knight wrote:Besides, if there were only a new vehicle, most fans would probably complain about the new car and miss the old '82.
I'll say it again... CAMEOS!!! There would be the new 4th gen KITT, but old KITT could still do a cameo. Like say for instance Knight Industries still had an old test model lying around from when they first started trying to make a supercar. Cameos would also work with the actors. In Hulk they had Lou Ferrigno (the wrestler guy from the original) cameo as the security guard and in the Brady Bunch spoof movie they had old Alice (Florence Henderson) as the grandmother.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:32 am

The cameo idea makes the most sense for the 3rd gen car. Like Bond's old Aston Martin showing up in Goldeneye.

I just think sticking with the old car severely limits the potential of any new KR franchise. Futuristic action and 23 year old car doesn't really seem like it'll draw in the crowds. We seasoned fans are just a small segment of the movie going public. So unless we all promiss to David here to see the movie 10 times each, it's going to have to be made with the interests of the widest viewing audience in mind which will mean new car. Maybe for a first film I could see the old KITT, but we wanna see sequels right? Plus I really don't think KR is totally commited to the Trans Am brand. KR2000, custom car. TKR, and KR2010 Fords. Just like Bond wasn't totally loyal to Aston Martin over the years. Can you imagine how goofy that battle with the Jaguar in Die Another Day would look if that old 60s DB5 was used instead of the new Vanguish? I imagine it would look equally as ackward if they used the Volante (the Aston equaivalent to using a 4th gen) from The Living Daylights which was the last Aston to be used before the Vanquish.

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:45 am

lol younger peeps! :D i was born in 1982 thankyou. nothing would be the same with out having the original KITT and william daniels for the voice of KITT. if KITT was not the orginal and william as the voice it just would not be KITT!!! and i know this is not on topic but David Hasselhoff Has to Be Michael Knight with out him as Michael Knight Michael would not be Michael and some other dude working with KITT give me a break!!! :shock: It has to me David (Michael Knight) working with KITT!!! :D Then that would be great!!! :D

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:47 am

knightrider#1fan wrote:i was born in 1982 thankyou. nothing would be the same with out having the original KITT and william daniels for the voice
LOL... are you and "KARR Crazed" the same person?
You both use the same ammount of smilies.

And I don't think the crack was aimed at you, it was mainly aimed at people like me who want to see a 4th gen or newer car. I definately want William Daniels as the voice, but the movie needs to be NEW. If they're gunna use the same old stuff they may as well just do another TV reunion movie. But that's not gunna make the KR franchise popular again.

It'll just be an obscure thing played at an odd hour on Sci-Fi.
Or it'll be like one of those bad "straight to vhs" Disney sequels.

Dukes and Herby can get away with using old stuff, because they're not technological and how would Bo and Luke afford a brand new Dodge Charger if they're just poor farm folk? It makes SENSE to update Knight Rider. The Foundation was rich, they could afford stuff. I agree with Army_F_Body, those of us familiar with KR are a small number.

If Dave makes the film only for we who're already fans of the series then it won't bring in any money or new fans.
And to say he should only do the movie for us and not the new kids is mean and selfish.