1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:23 am

Now that ERTL has done the 1982 Trans Am for KITT, they will be releasing the standard 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am which is scheduled for release in August 2005... Looking forward to it.. No pics just yet.. Still a long way to go. http://www.diecastmuscle.com/store/33990

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:17 am

That's good news...although we have the ERTL KITT, I would definitely want to add Michael Long's stock Trans Am to my collection. I hope they color it black...but if not, I will still save my $30.00+ for it. I'm curious as to what kind of license plate they will use (probably still yellow characters on a blue background).

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:53 am

ARGH! Comet Minatures website now says December 10th!

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:01 pm

MonstersinMotion.com which is a local drive for me lists the date as December 15. I tried emailing Joyride from their contact list, but the idiots haven't replied back. I just want to be able to go to a store and pick it up without having to buy online!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm SO bored of waiting!

When I emailed JoyRide, I got a reply saying it's to be released in late Feb - mid March 2005!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:00 pm

DanielB wrote:I'm SO bored of waiting!

When I emailed JoyRide, I got a reply saying it's to be released in late Feb - mid March 2005!
What kind of crap reply is that? March 2005??? Then what did Imranbecks and I just bought a couple of days ago? Bootlegs?!? The idiots...they don't even know (or pretend that they don't know) that their product has been released in Asia! I have a hunch that they don't even have an idea what the problem is at the shipping or custom's department. That's probably where the root of the problem lies.

Another theory that I have is that the entire first round stocks of KITTs have all been gobbled up (bought) by enthusiastic collectors and retailers from the Asian region. This is a long-shot explanation...but quite possible. Joyride may be pinning their hopes on the next round of manufacture in Feb-March. I hope this is not the case though.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:13 pm

Keep your wig on! The e-mail reply I got from JoyRide was dated as 26th October!

It reads.....

Daniel,
The KITT car should be shipping to the UK in February. I would expect that you shold see it at retail late Feb to mid March.

Regards,

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

letter to Ertl

Post by corlando52 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:50 pm

Hey guys, I've just written the following to my contact at Ertl. I hope you approve. I will post her reply, if she indeed does reply.

You were so kind to answer all my questions about your new 1/18th KITT diecast, I thought you might appreciate some initial feedback from the fans.
We all appreciate the mere fact that you were willing to make this great car. The details are impressive and the car as a whole is a nice piece of work. Everyone really likes it. It hasn't arrived in the US yet, but the fans in Asia are very happy with it. We are surprised that the model still has amber foglights in the Ertl version, and all white foglights on the Aoshima. However, the Aoshima foglights are done very poorly, with tacky black dots in the center of each, so the Ertl looks better even though it has the incorrect amber lights.
One concern is the grappling hook. Once extended, it will not retract. This is consistant on every model.
We were glad to see the white lettering removed from the tires, even though the Aoshima model still has them.
It is the unanimous opinion that, even though Aoshima has released KARR, that we will all wait for the Ertl version, since your KITT is by far the better diecast.
Thank you again for such a great item!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:32 pm

DanielB wrote:Keep your wig on! The e-mail reply I got from JoyRide was dated as 26th October!

It reads.....

Daniel,
The KITT car should be shipping to the UK in February. I would expect that you shold see it at retail late Feb to mid March.

Regards,
I still don't see the reason why they couldn't ship the model to all parts of the world all at once. If KITT is already in Singapore and the Philippines, why take a month or two to reach the US and Europe? I'm pretty sure standard airmail doesn't take that long to reach its destination. I'm also pretty sure they won't use surface mail.

Corlando52: That's a good email that you've sent. Keep us posted when and if they reply.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:51 pm

HondaSiR wrote:Another theory that I have is that the entire first round stocks of KITTs have all been gobbled up (bought) by enthusiastic collectors and retailers from the Asian region. This is a long-shot explanation...but quite possible. Joyride may be pinning their hopes on the next round of manufacture in Feb-March. I hope this is not the case though.
Hmmm... Maybe this is the reason... But it just cannot be. How can they (ERTL) not have any extra supplies for those in other regions/continents such as US or UK.... It won't be fair if all the models were snapped up from retailers from Asia where it is made...
corlando52 wrote:Hey guys, I've just written the following to my contact at Ertl. I hope you approve. I will post her reply, if she indeed does reply.

You were so kind to answer all my questions about your new 1/18th KITT diecast, I thought you might appreciate some initial feedback from the fans.
We all appreciate the mere fact that you were willing to make this great car. The details are impressive and the car as a whole is a nice piece of work. Everyone really likes it. It hasn't arrived in the US yet, but the fans in Asia are very happy with it. We are surprised that the model still has amber foglights in the Ertl version, and all white foglights on the Aoshima. However, the Aoshima foglights are done very poorly, with tacky black dots in the center of each, so the Ertl looks better even though it has the incorrect amber lights.
One concern is the grappling hook. Once extended, it will not retract. This is consistant on every model.
We were glad to see the white lettering removed from the tires, even though the Aoshima model still has them.
It is the unanimous opinion that, even though Aoshima has released KARR, that we will all wait for the Ertl version, since your KITT is by far the better diecast.
Thank you again for such a great item!
That is a good email! I hope she replies....

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:57 am

Had a reply friom another UK company saying they're "expecting them soon".

This is getting very tedious and drawn out, and I'm rapidly getting fed up with it. Everytime it's due it gets pushed back another day, week or month. We're now in December, and nobody is any clearer as to when it will arrive. No two websites have the same release date, and none of the retailers I've asked know anything specific!

The shop were I had them ordered still doesn't know, and I've again been told "hopefully by the end of this week". :evil:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:15 pm

The one thing I am never happy about is their noses. I mean, I loved the KITT nose that was more pointed with the bottom lip . Made him look damn cool. :) The best nose I've seen yet was the design of the Knights of England replica noses. I also think that KITT's foglights should be blacked out. I loved that look in the first season. :) I think KITT looks like a goof with the foglights showing. :lol: but that's just my opinion. Some love the foglights and not the blackouts. Probably best to ship without blackouts and let those that want them put them in themselves.

I got my name and number at a local hobby shop for I think an Ertl KITT if they ever get them in (and KARR). Haven't heard from them. I don't know if they realize they are being released. I will see if I can find time to get ahold of them and ask them about these. I know many shops in my area don't do imports due to expense, though. So it'd have to be stuff that is in the stores in the US before they get the cars in. I can only hope...

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:27 pm

GPL said they are expecting them before the end of this week (tomorow or Saturday then!).

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:00 pm

I always liked the look of the two fog lights showing, but I think the more logical design for K.I.T.T. would be to leave the bumper grills on. If the entire car is bullet-proof, it would only seem to make more sense that the lights were protected with "cages" to deflect bullets. I know the Molecular Bonded Shell probably covers the lights anyway, but it would seem more logical. Also, they cover up the leftover space that the four fog lights leave.

As it stands with the models, I don't like the noses on them either. Amber lights or no amber lights, the noses are still inaccurate. There are 6 indents for the 6 lights where there should just be 1 large opening on each side with the lights inside them. Instead of the lights being within a hole, they are indented into the nose. Secondly, the rest of the nose is a mixture of all seasons with the rounded, yet sharp look and as we know lacking the turn signal blackouts.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:37 pm

Finally, someone is releasing an '82 Trans Am

It's about time!!

krfan1

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:07 pm

The unique thing abt this model is that it looks like the season 4 KITT on the exterior and on the interior, it is the season 1 and 2 KITT :lol: I don't mind.. I have always dreamt of owning KITT in this scale.... Now, it has come true!!!!! :D

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:24 pm

I've given my model a lot of thought lately, and I can only offer some advice on how to customize it. For those of us who don't like the orange lights, Lost Knight gave the most logical solution. Just cover it up with black electrical tape. Not only is it reversible, but it is just so damn easy. Just cut it up and paste it on. The next solution would be to paint it black or silver with hobby paint (but paint is permanent).

Regarding the nose, I will try to make some turn-signal blackouts out of some very thin cardboards and paste it on. I don't know if it will look better or worse but its definitely worth trying.

By the way, another anomaly I have noticed has something to do with the cowl-induction hood (or whatever its called...its the thing that is on top of the hood veering towards the driver). It is too wide in my opinion. Sadly I don't think anybody can do anything to remedy this.

The rear tail light blackouts are also of the rounded type, the kind that was used for 1985 Firebirds and up. Damn, it would have looked better if they flattened it out the way it should have been in a 1982 model.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:31 pm

I for one like the nose look because I have always liked the nose of the season 4 KITT, without the turn signal blackouts.. :wink:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:32 pm

I'm glad someone mentioned the blackouts. I've only caught bits and pieces of this thread so I didn't want to comment. Since it's a season 1/2 vehicle it's disappointing to see the season 4 nose.

I didn't know about it having the newer style tail lights. That's a real disappointment as well. I'm not totally destroyed, however. It's good that they are making a KITT to begin with. My Grandfather got to have a big scale replica of his Camaro and I wish I could have one of mine. No one ever made a 92 model (beyond the 1/24 plastic ones which I had), but at least since I have a (almost finished) KITT now this is the next best thing. I just wished it could resemble mine a little closer.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:04 pm

The interesting thing is....on K.I.T.T., yes the nose is inaccurate and while I always liked the 4th season nose best, I would want the 1st/2nd season nose just for consistency with the dashboard. However, on K.A.R.R., his nose was a season 3 nose in which there were only subtle indents for the turn signal blackouts since the blackouts were not actually there. From a distance, however, the season 3 nose looked as smooth as the season 4 nose and we only were able to see the indents up close. Therefore on KARR, it doesn't bug me as much that he doesn't have any blackouts.

Since they are both the same car, either way one of them would have been inaccurate besides the fact that KARR is only supposed to have 4 fog lights. I also would have prefered the 3rd/4th season dashboard, but since KARR was also made, going with the 1st/2nd season dash was the safer route since the only difference between the models is the voice modulator paint, silver paint, scanner, and licence plate sticker. If that were the case, we would have had a situation like with the 1/43 scale models where KARR had a 3rd/4th season dashboard.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:55 am

The ERTL KITT's scarcity in the US is having a huge impact on its true worth. Check out the bidding war that is going on in this auction.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 86260&rd=1

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:14 am

My Mother pre-ordered one months ago for Christmas. She's been wondering when it's to be released. So is at retailers in the states yet? She (and me now) is starting to worry.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:46 am

Like I said, I've been given, and found, a whole host of different release dates from different companies. Just gonna have to wait for it I'm afraid.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:05 am

HondaSiR wrote:The ERTL KITT's scarcity in the US is having a huge impact on its true worth. Check out the bidding war that is going on in this auction.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 86260&rd=1
Of course, its "value" will drop like a rock once the car actually reaches US store shelves. :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:10 pm

I noticed that as well, and last time I checked there were only two auctions for the 1/18 models, the other for K.A.R.R. I'm surprised there aren't more retailers in Asia, Europe, etc. that are placing any auctions up so that the U.S. gets a chance to buy the models without waiting for distributors to get their act together.