1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DanielB
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DanielB » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:49 am

Nice - are the licence plate and dashboard still stickers on the Aoshima?

And how is the scanner movement - does it look good?

Do you have video mode on your digital camera?

Gonzaloa
Rookie

Post by Gonzaloa » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:45 am

Thanks for the review and the pics.

For me, I guess It's going to be the ERTL vesion, since I'm sure that the Aoshima's isn't getting to local shops, and the ERTL is getting at x2.5 the USA price (almost the same than the USA price + shipment + taxes, no really big difference), so I don't want to know how much the Aoshima's price could be :(

My skills aren't the best, but do you think is possible to get to the ERTL´s voice modulator and paint it red?

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:47 am

I'd leave the voice modulator black. Most of the time the car isn't speaking. If it's painted red, that's like taking a "snapshot" of the car at the dentist, saying, "Ahhhhhhh." :lol:

Gonzaloa
Rookie

Post by Gonzaloa » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:39 am

Yes, that's true. I thought about that just after posting.

I want to know about the grappling hook, I want to pull it out, but not if I can't retract it back in place.

What about the scanner?

I hope ERTL will release K.A.R.R. soon.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:18 am

AMBER LENSES. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hobby shop, here I come for lens replacements!!!
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:22 am

PBH wrote:AMBER LENSES. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hobby shop, here I come for lens replacements!!!
You'll be lucky to find any.

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:50 am

imranbecks,thanks for the nice pics. did you check under the hood to see if there was a device or button to retract the hook?

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:01 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures Imranbecks! You are a legend among men! As for those of you going off the deepend because of the amber lsenses? Get a grip! It's not the end of the world. :D

When it comes right down to it, the AVERAGE collector won't care. They'll just be pleased as punch that these are even out. As I am. :) Also, when you really think about it. These ARE toys. Toys for grown ups, but toys none-the-less! Why do you think they list the age range from 8 years old and up? :D

I wonder if Toys r Us will have KITT yet? They've had the other Joyride models. I think I shall go check them out!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:17 pm

i beg to differ..these are models, not toys. ppl are more than welcome to play and bash it around if they want, the working scanner won't last a week. :lol:
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:01 pm

Imranbecks: Thanks for the pics man...you now own the distinction of being the first person here who has actually laid his hands on the much coveted 1:18 KITT and KARR models. You are one lucky guy to own both of them on the same day!

On a side note...I just noticed something odd...Why does both KITT and KARR have a clutch pedal??? I though they were both automatics in the show. :?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:25 pm

well i noticed on teh original AMT model that the lower console part covered up the hand brake on the console so maybe the 'clutch' pedal is a foot pushed parking brake :wink:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:39 pm

DanielB wrote this>>
Nice - are the licence plate and dashboard still stickers on the Aoshima?

And how is the scanner movement - does it look good?

Do you have video mode on your digital camera?
Yes, the license plate and dashboard are still stickers on the Aoshima.

The scanner movement is very good on both ERTL and Aoshima (hey, its basically the same!!!! :lol: )

And no, unfortunately, I don't have video mode on my digital camera... Sorry...

pewter 02ws6 wrote this>>
imranbecks,thanks for the nice pics. did you check under the hood to see if there was a device or button to retract the hook?
Yes.. I searched everywhere around the model... I just gave up... I don't want to end up breaking a part or something...lol..

HondaSiR wrote this>>
Imranbecks: Thanks for the pics man...you now own the distinction of being the first person here who has actually laid his hands on the much coveted 1:18 KITT and KARR models. You are one lucky guy to own both of them on the same day!
I am honoured... Thanks!! U guys will have it soon as well!!!!

Oh... On a lighter note, I took this pic for fun with the WWE wrestlers at the background :lol: ...>>

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 pm

Dave Knight wrote:well i noticed on teh original AMT model that the lower console part covered up the hand brake on the console so maybe the 'clutch' pedal is a foot pushed parking brake :wink:
Hehe, or the left pedal may be the stunt pedal switch used by the stuntman to perform bootleg turns.

Imranbecks: Nice pics of the WWF wrestlers there, but someone is missing. A Kenner Michael Knight doll! Since you've already made a purchase through ebay, might I suggest bidding on a doll or two? The other one can be Garthe...and you can display both of them side by side with your 1:18 KITT and KARR (have them standing up near the car's open doors, they would look fabulous even if they can't sit inside. :D

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply. Can't wait for mine - still no word from the modelshop as yet. Really fed up of waiting now. :(

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:28 am

Now that they are both out,can anyone tell me how to purchase one to be shipped to the U.S.I don't know of any hobby stores around me that will carry thisI went to toys r us.com and it takes me to amazon.com.Any help will be much appreciated.

By the way which one has the blacked out trunk?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:40 am

I noticed that in the Aoshima model imranbecks posted, KARR's voice box is painted solid yellow. KARR never had a solid yellow voice box. Even in TDR it was the bar box (KITT then got a bar version a couple episodes later).

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:21 am

Knight Racer wrote:Now that they are both out,can anyone tell me how to purchase one to be shipped to the U.S.I don't know of any hobby stores around me that will carry thisI went to toys r us.com and it takes me to amazon.com.Any help will be much appreciated.

By the way which one has the blacked out trunk?
They aren't out in the US and UK as yet I don't think - I've seen several websites with a release date of November 29th..

As for the rear window - both manufacturers have the blacked out glass.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:27 am

Checked today with my local ModelZone, they said it is officially out but they have not received stock yet.

so it's just a matter of that.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:55 am

Hopefully Monday then. My order is with ModelZone - which branch did you go to?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:56 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:I noticed that in the Aoshima model imranbecks posted, KARR's voice box is painted solid yellow. KARR never had a solid yellow voice box. Even in TDR it was the bar box (KITT then got a bar version a couple episodes later).
The manufacturers had no choice, the voice box is too small to fit in the light bars...they can either fill it in with color or not (Aoshima has color, ERTL chose to leave it blank).

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:09 pm

I guess then I'd probably re-paint it black. :) I'm thinking about these, but not sure yet. Maybe after taxes I'll see if I have the money or not. I'd love to get one of each. :)

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:17 pm

Having looked at some more photos, I'd say ERTL have done a better job on the foglights. Yes, there's an orange one, but they appear much more realistic; the plastic plugs that hold them in place are far less noticable than the Aoshima lights, which really look quite crude.

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:48 pm

If people are really THAT desperate about the orange foglights, they can just use a black Sharpie marker to block them out. :D :D
Last edited by MischievousJoe on Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:51 pm

Daniel, I went to the one in Romford, Essex.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:28 pm

MischievousJoe wrote:If people are really THAT desperate about the orange foglights, they can just use a black Sharpie marker to block them out. :D :D
I'm not bothered, but I know alot of others are! I've had an ERTL on order from day one.