1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:22 pm

greenpoison: That's an awesome conversion! Both KITT and KARR's scanner move without the annoying "cut-outs". How did you manage to fit the new scanner and battery? Did you have to remove the entire engine to accomodate the newer and bigger parts?

All in all, a very nice uprade indeed. :D

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:18 am

does any one know if u can get them in australia yet?
--knightman--

greenpoison
Volunteer

Post by greenpoison » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:57 am

pewter 02ws6 wrote:
greenpoison wrote:Hi!
Today I have converted my both KR´s with the 8 LED´s correct flashing scanner from http://www.knightlight.co.uk/ :D :D
If anyone is interested how it look & works, can look here http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album209
The wmv files are downloadable!
nice job on the scanners :wink:
how hard was the install?can you set it up so that karr's scanner has the criss-cross pattern and is there a way to speed up the scanner? any chance you can do a write-up on the install with pics?
thanks,chris
Thanks to all for your interest!
The conversion wasn´t hard. It should be possible for everyone who know how to work with a dremel & a soldering iron :wink: I will post some step to step pics soon :)
To pewter 02ws6
Yes it´s possible to switch the scanner to criss cross moving (KARR), i have posted a new video here: http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album209
To speed up the scanner move, it is recommended to use more power. I have connected the scanner to the original battery box (4x 1,5V= 6V). The scanner works with 6V till max. 20V!
To Tetsu
You are right, in person it looks a little bit foggy too, i have to put the LEDs
a little more up like on the KITT one (it´s much brighter).
But to put the printed circuit board higher so that the LEDs are direct behind the scanner window should be a little bit difficult, maybe it´s possible :roll:
But how it looks like i don´t know :wink:

greenpoison
Volunteer

Post by greenpoison » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:05 am

rhdaussiekitt wrote:does any one know if u can get them in australia yet?
Hi,

you can order the scanner here: http://www.knightlight.co.uk/
They sell/ship them worldwide and i think to australia should be no problem :wink: !

Tetsu
Recruit

scanner light conversion

Post by Tetsu » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:31 am

hi Greenpoison,
Thanks so much for the info bro. I can't wait to see you step by steps :D
Is there a tool out there that can cut metal? I think the main problem with allowing the scanner light to sit higher is that thin metal part directly above the scanner window. If I can only find a way to cut away that area, I think mounting the chip board behind the scanner window is possible. Now to only find a tool..
Look foward to your tutorial man,
Thanks again for sharing,
Tetsu

Tetsu
Recruit

scanner light conversion

Post by Tetsu » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:49 am

Hey everyone,
check out this movie clip. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/johnwbm/video.htm
It's too cool
Tetsu

Squealer
Volunteer

Post by Squealer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:37 am

I am damn impressed with all your customising to make KITT and KARR looks more accurate... I do not have the courage to do it...

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Re: scanner light conversion

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 am

Tetsu wrote:Hey everyone,
check out this movie clip. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/johnwbm/video.htm
It's too cool
Tetsu
isn't that the guy who custom built his 1/8 or 1/16 scale kitt from a camaro? i am thinking about doing a lit dash also but i'm not sure i want to get that involved. it would be easy if it were a large scale. all you have to do is pick up some fiber-optic string, supply a light source and print the exisitng decals out on a piece of transparent paper than you can find at walmart for $7 a pack. who knows what the future will bring. :?

Knight9766
Volunteer

Post by Knight9766 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 am

Hi greenpoison, that's a might fine conversion.

I have a small question, any advise would appreciate.
It's concerning the plastic strips that are tied around the car.
After removing them they leave a oily stain on the surface.
When I used a soft cloth to wipe away the stains, small scratches appear.
It seems that the oily substance effects the cars surface.
I used the type of cloth used for cleaning lens.
Is there anyway to remove the scratches especially on the bonnet?

Thanks in advance.... :lol:

greenpoison
Volunteer

Post by greenpoison » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Tetsu wrote:hi Greenpoison,
Thanks so much for the info bro. I can't wait to see you step by steps :D
Is there a tool out there that can cut metal? I think the main problem with allowing the scanner light to sit higher is that thin metal part directly above the scanner window. If I can only find a way to cut away that area, I think mounting the chip board behind the scanner window is possible. Now to only find a tool..
Look foward to your tutorial man,
Thanks again for sharing,
Tetsu
Hi,
i have posted some new pictures and videos here http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/greenpoison
Maybe the pictures aren´t the perfect step by step instruction, but better than nothing :roll: :D I hope that is helpful
Also you can look here (no videos) http://de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/greenp ... /my_photos
Tetsu i would recommend a Dremel tool, but it would be a little bit tricky to realize this!
But like you see here (thanks to tetsu) http://mywebpages.comcast.net/johnwbm/video.htm is everything possible :D

greenpoison
Volunteer

Post by greenpoison » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:27 pm

HondaSiR wrote:greenpoison: That's an awesome conversion! Both KITT and KARR's scanner move without the annoying "cut-outs". How did you manage to fit the new scanner and battery? Did you have to remove the entire engine to accomodate the newer and bigger parts?

Thank you!
I have only made a hole in to the radiator. Fit the scanner in there & connected to original microswitch and battery box (Kitt & Karr).
On the KARR one i have built an extra "normal" switch to turn the criss-cross on/off. I recommend to use a microswitch also like the original one (fits and looks better) :D
Take a look on this pictures here: http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/greenpoison

Tetsu
Recruit

scanner light conversion

Post by Tetsu » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:49 pm

Hey there Greenpoison,
Thanks so much for posting those pics. They are very helpful.
One question though. When you solder the on/off switch wires off from the original 5 LED chip, where do you solder it back onto?? I think that was the only thing I missed. Sorry, I'm real new to the whole "soldering" technique and perhaps this question maybe a common sense thing :oops:
I really can't wait to get my scanner. I want to convert mines so badly :twisted:
Also, can anyone tell me from what scene KARR's scanner light did the criss/cross pattern? Was it like a glitch or a blopper that aired in one of the scenes? I have the video, watched it over and over but couldn't find it.
It looks prety cool the way it meets in the middle tho.
tetsu

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:37 pm

rhdaussiekitt wrote:does any one know if u can get them in australia yet?
Are you talking the models Aussiekitt? Sadly i don't think they are, however you might be able to pick one up online at Die-cast muscle cars or something similar.. I ordered mine through HLJ.com but they do not have it listed anymore. I was supremely lucky to get them I think..

Regards
Adam

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:53 pm

greenpoison wrote:
HondaSiR wrote:greenpoison: That's an awesome conversion! Both KITT and KARR's scanner move without the annoying "cut-outs". How did you manage to fit the new scanner and battery? Did you have to remove the entire engine to accomodate the newer and bigger parts?

Thank you!
I have only made a hole in to the radiator. Fit the scanner in there & connected to original microswitch and battery box (Kitt & Karr).
On the KARR one i have built an extra "normal" switch to turn the criss-cross on/off. I recommend to use a microswitch also like the original one (fits and looks better) :D
Take a look on this pictures here: http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/greenpoison
Thanks for the videos and pics! It's utterly incredible that you were able to pull the conversion off without removing the engine. The models definitely look better now and more accurate to the series. ERTL should have used your technique. :wink:

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:22 pm

Tetsu wrote:Hey there Greenpoison,
Also, can anyone tell me from what scene KARR's scanner light did the criss/cross pattern? Was it like a glitch or a blopper that aired in one of the scenes? I have the video, watched it over and over but couldn't find it.
tetsu
in trust doesn't rust, karr had a scanner with the pattern of kitt. i am not sure if it was through the entire episode but karr's scanner had a criss-cross pattern during his face-off with kitt at the end.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:41 pm

Hey guys, I borrowed my girlfriend's digital camera and snapped some pictures of my K.I.T.T. & K.A.R.R. models as well as the Back To the Future Part II DeLorean finally.

I painted KITT's side fender vents gloss black, his rims flat black and his front reflectors insignia yellow.

I painted KARR's wheel wells silver with a Pilot silver paint pen, rims flat black, front reflectors insignia yellow, and removed the white tire lettering with nail polish remover using a Q-tip. I plan to eventually solder and remove the amber diodes and replace them with yellow ones when I finally get around to going to Radio Shack.

Since the models' shape is not 100% accurate (for one the nose being trimmed down on the bottom), the front wheel wells are not quite as round as the rear wheel wells which may show on my KARR model. I was in a rush to snap these pictures so I also apologize for the quality and my ameteur photography skills. :P

Here's the link:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/solid_sna ... .dir=/85a9
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Tetsu
Recruit

scanner light conversion

Post by Tetsu » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:31 am

Hey pewter 02ws6,
Thanks for the info man. I will try to look for that scene.
Lost knight,
Thanks for the link bro, unfortunately, it's not allowing us to gain access to your pics.
Tetsu

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:39 am

That's weird...I tested the link out a few times after I posted it and it worked fine, but it no longer works for me either. Maybe because I was logged in at the time. Does anyone happen to know how to solve that problem? MrPayner's album in Yahoo! Photos worked fine.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:34 am

Only people who can sign in to your account can view the pics, Lost Knight. You can probably change the settings so that everybody can have access. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how to do this. Perhaps MrPayner or anybody who has a Yahoo account can help.
Last edited by HondaSiR on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:49 am

Thanks, HondaSiR. I had a feeling that's what it was. I've changed the settings from Private to Public so hopefully the link works now.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:55 am

The links work now, Lost Knight. I must say that your KARR looks better than before, you did a professional looking job with the silver tipped pen. And KITT also looks superb. Post some more pics when you have KARR's scanner upgraded. You may want to emulate greenpoison's scanner conversion since you have the necessary tools already.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:09 am

Ah, thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty much satisfied with the models as of now except for K.A.R.R.'s amber scanner. I know some members here have converted the entire scanner to a more accurate looking one but the Ertl one doesn't really bother me all that much. It's just that amber color! I will post new pics whenever I get around to doing it though.

greenpoison
Volunteer

Post by greenpoison » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:05 pm

Tetsu wrote:Hey there Greenpoison,
Thanks so much for posting those pics. They are very helpful.
One question though. When you solder the on/off switch wires off from the original 5 LED chip, where do you solder it back onto?? I think that was the only thing I missed. Sorry, I'm real new to the whole "soldering" technique and perhaps this question maybe a common sense thing :oops:
I really can't wait to get my scanner. I want to convert mines so badly :twisted:
tetsu
Hi Tetsu,

i have uploaded the pic which shows the Scanner PCB incl. how to solder/connect the wiring. Look here: http://de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/greenp ... a3&.src=ph
I have used new wires on my KITT/KARR conversions not the original one!
To use the old ones 2 times should be possible but it is also tricky :wink:
I hope it was helpful for you and the other guys :D

greenpoison
Volunteer

My Videos on knightlight.co.uk!

Post by greenpoison » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

A big Hello to all!!! :D :D

On this evening i´ve send a email to knightlight.co.uk including
my ready conversion videos from Kitt & Karr...
That was a good idea! Dan has posted them immediately!
Take a look here:
:arrow: http://www.knightlight.co.uk/cu-m_leski.asp
:arrow: http://www.knightlight.co.uk/pr-ks5008.asp
:arrow: http://www.knightlight.co.uk/sp-ks5008.asp

I really impressed!!! My vids on a commercial website! :dance:
Big thanks from here goes to Dan!!!

:karr:
PS: Kitt has a criss-cross effect in the episode soul survivor too! :wink:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:30 pm