1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:31 am

I read that on the thread. I wasn't too sure if that was you. So you would have to take the model apart to install them or just do it from the kich panel?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:42 am

DanielB wrote:By the way - HondaSiR, just looking at the pic you posted, and I noticed your wheels. I've done the same to my wheels, and it looks really superb. It's a tiny detail that makes a hell of alot of difference to the appearance of the car - thanks for pointing it out. :)

I painted mine in water colours though - any excess on the hubs etc could easily be wiped away and tidied up then.
Watercolors? Hmmm, I haven't tried that before. As long as it stays on and looks great, why not? At least its easy to clean and its cheap. :wink:

By the way, you are definitely the authority here when it comes to photography. Your pics really put ours to shame. :D

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:02 pm

The pedals should just clip into place - there's a hole in the footwell for them.

Watercolours work fine on my model aircraft - I use them for weathering.

Photography is one of my hobbies - I spend alot of my spare time taking photos of Aircraft. You can see some of my aircraft photos here.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:22 pm

You definitely have the right stuff, those pics are killer! You make the planes seem to stand still. I like the one with the Harrier, you even caught on camera the jet exhaust at the bottom of the pic....really cool!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:42 pm

just a quick question, what kinda paint was used for the wing mirrors? just standard gloss spray paint?

i used white spirit to thin the paint out as i wasn't happy with the result and has now left small spots when i re-coated the shell of the mirror.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:01 pm

I'd be grateful if people who find KITT in retail stores would share the info in this thread. I'll be sure to do the same. :)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:34 pm

don't bother with my query, ive decided to get a new one, lol.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:13 pm

I hope your gonna leave this one in its case :D

Excellent photos DanielB, mind telling us what type of camera it was taken with?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:10 pm

Skav wrote:don't bother with my query, ive decided to get a new one, lol.
LOL...You can brush paint the side mirror housing with a medium sized brush and some gloss black paint. The thickness of brush-painting may get rid of the spots. Even if you get a new KITT, try to fix the old one. Remember, these diecasts are rare...people will kill for your slightly damaged KITT. :)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:13 pm

I ordered a display case from ehobbies.com.Cost me $22 with shipping.Anyone have the formula for the molecular bonded shell?I need to make it indestructable when it gets here.Its going to have to do better then keeping dust off.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:21 pm

Putting KITT in a clear acrylic display case is a good idea, the original ERTL box that it came with has a square hole for the scanner switch. Dust particles can go into that hole.

KITT comes from the factory with some sort of wax on top of the paint. This factory wax does not last, specially when the car is touched often. I usually wax my diecasts with real car wax, either Carnauba or Turtle Wax using a clean white cloth applied with minimal pressure.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:23 pm

$22? Dude, I think it would be easier if you bought it at a hobby shop. I know of two in New York. What part of Brooklyn do you live in?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:31 am

I get plastic car cases at Wal-mart for only about $7.00CDN
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:04 am

I was gonna say I plan on buying a plastic case from walmart. I do love the way ertl made thier box they way you can take it out and then replace without tearing the box up. I have never taken my 1?18 General Lee out because, I didnt want to have a box flap hanging to me once.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:57 am

neps wrote:Excellent photos DanielB, mind telling us what type of camera it was taken with?
Which pics?

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:06 pm

I got mine today :D

Fantastic, but has anyone else had trouble getting the ejector seat back into postion?

it took 2 of us half an hour to work it out :shock:

lordvader
Rookie

damaged order!

Post by lordvader » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:48 pm

Mine arrived today from [url]http:\\www.diecastfast.com[/url]. After I opened the box I did a thorough inspection of the model. The first thing I noticed was the wheel was turning loosely. At first I thought it might have popped out, but as I looked closer I noticed that it was cracked of of the steering rod that connects the two wheels together. When I turned it over to inspect the bottom, I noticed around one of the screw holes that hold the bottom was raised up from the rest of the car. Part of the hole was cracked and the screw had popped through allowing the bottom of the car to raise up. I e-mailed the site about it immediatly for a replacement. Just when I thought I had KITT in my hands, he slipped away from me. Now I have to wait another week or two to get a replacement. With my luck it will be damaged as well. I would post pictures of the damaged car, but I do not have a camera that I could use.

Arrgh!
"I have no eggs. Perhaps you could direct me to a chicken." - KARR

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:47 am

Could the fragility of the KITT toys be why they have yet to show up in retail stores?

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:02 am

Just receieved a delivery from DHL - 2 sets of pedals for KITT from RC2. Brilliant service.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:07 am

Knight Industries 3000 wrote:Could the fragility of the KITT toys be why they have yet to show up in retail stores?
No, I don't think so. The factory probably has problems with the huge demand that they can't keep up, resulting in a backlog. Another theory is that this is a limited run of 10,000 pieces, as Skav pointed out earlier. Not to mention that its almost Christmas, where fans may buy more than one to give as a gift to someone.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:31 am

This particular car is no more fragile than most other 1/18th scale models. As long as a model has plastic parts, those parts pretty much can be considered fragile. But what most people seem to be overlooking here (judging by all kinds of things breaking with these models) is that it is a model not a toy. Yes, it does have a few cool gimmicks on it to make it unique that are tempting to play with, but it is still meant for display purposes. This is why I don't use the features on mine except for the flashing light.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:41 pm

Got my ERTL KITT from Grand Prix Legends today. Cancelled pretty much all my hlj.com order after the fiasco with Predaking. Seems it was a blessing in disguise. Nice shiney car and some money off what the Aoshima one would cost. Those orange fog lights don't seem to bother me at all. All in all, very happy I did cancel my Aoshima cars though waiting for an ERTL KARR does play with the patience!

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:54 pm

HondaSiR wrote: No, I don't think so. The factory probably has problems with the huge demand that they can't keep up, resulting in a backlog. Another theory is that this is a limited run of 10,000 pieces, as Skav pointed out earlier. Not to mention that its almost Christmas, where fans may buy more than one to give as a gift to someone.
Would someone explain to me why these companies only produce "limited runs" like this? I'm no business major, but it seems to me if you had a product that was wildly popular, you make as much as possible to fill the demand and rake in all the money! Why would you want someone ELSE making tons of money off your stuff on ebay?

It seems like that's the only place you can find anything anymore. :(

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:15 pm

I've not seen anything stating it's a limited edition run anywhere - if it was limited, the box would mention it somewhere.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:49 pm

The whole limited run thing is just a theory to help explain the rarity of the models as of now. Personally I do think it is limited but the reason the boxes do not say so is because the item was not intended to be limited; it turned out that way because of supply and demand.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: