1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DanielB
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:58 am

If the pedals came to me as a sepearate piece, I could cut off the clutch and add the green lights to the throttle.

I'll speak to the shop and see if they can get a spare part for me.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:39 am

Hmmm. I wonder if there is any AMT/Artl plastic model kits (any car) that has lights to replace the amber. I'll need to have a better look next time I'm shopping.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:11 pm

Just looked at the model - don't see how you could remove the foglights without having to take the model apart. Even if you were, I think you'll be lucky to find a lens that fits perfectly.

It's not that big of an issue - the rest of the model is superb.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:39 pm

I just came from the hobby store...all the Knight Rider models are gone, all sold out. They don't know if and when they will get to restock their inventory. Looks like they are selling well. For those of you who don't have it yet, make a daily visit to your nearest toy store and grab one if they're already there.

Regarding the missing pedals, that's really a shame. Some people at the quality control department didn't do their job well. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:47 pm

My brothers KITT had pedals!

These models appear to be in demand - the shop where I got mine had 60+ pre-orders, and only had 35 delivered, and they were on GPL's best sellers list before they were even released!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:55 pm

Granted I would rather have the old foot pedal brake since the lower console piece covers up the hand break making it unusable, but as far as I know all F-bodies 82-02 had hand brakes.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:51 pm

The only thing that I don't like about it is that the there are no openings
in the nose for the fog lamps. They are just pressed in there. I think they
could ahve done that a bit better but overall, it is looking damn good. I
was surprised to see they even did the overhead details. Not accurate
but they are on there.
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:15 pm

DanielB wrote:Just looked at the model - don't see how you could remove the foglights without having to take the model apart. Even if you were, I think you'll be lucky to find a lens that fits perfectly.

It's not that big of an issue - the rest of the model is superb.
actually you can make your own lenses if you can get the old ones out. you will need 2 things, 1: silly putty (dont laugh ill explain), and 2 elmers white glue (again dont laugh).

first, take the orange lense out of the fascia, and stick it into some spread out silly putty, then remove the lense witout disturbing the putty. then pour a few drops of the elmers into the 'mold' you made. let the glue dry and harden, when it does it dries almost trans parent. remove the new lense from the mold and trim off any excess 'glass'. paint the back area that will be hidden by the body silver and put a drop of epoxy or testors wood/metal glue and place the lense in the socket.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:44 pm

:?: This question is for those people who have already got their Knight Rider!
Please be so kind and post a video of the working scanner cause
I can not imagine how the scanner looks like.

Does anybody know when they will be released in Germany?

Thanks

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:11 pm

i got mine from that ebay auction for 34.99 shipped using buy it now. i cant wait to get mine. if you go to http://www.ebay.com type in knight rider select diecast on the left then select scale as 1/18 it will show you all of em the guy has 1 one more at the 24.99 price so there ya go for anybody in USA. when i get mine ill let ya know :wink:

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:20 pm

DiggiDiDuck wrote::?: This question is for those people who have already got their Knight Rider!
Please be so kind and post a video of the working scanner cause
I can not imagine how the scanner looks like.
Do you have Quicktime (can you play .mov files??).

DiggiDiDuck
Recruit

Post by DiggiDiDuck » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:20 pm

I hope so :!: Why :?:

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Because my camera will make QuickTime movies - if you can play it, I'll make a movie and e-mail it to you. If you can't, I'll save myself the bother!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:25 pm

I've noticed another flaw. This is in the overall shape of the model....looking at a side view of the model, the entire front end is way too high and should be more leveled with the bottom of the rest of the car. It throws off the entire shape of the body because it doesn't look quite right. I think it might have been made this way to make easier access for the grappling hook. Oh well. Nonetheless I'm still waiting until one becomes available near me.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:27 pm

Dave Knight wrote:actually you can make your own lenses if you can get the old ones out. you will need 2 things, 1: silly putty (dont laugh ill explain), and 2 elmers white glue (again dont laugh).

first, take the orange lense out of the fascia, and stick it into some spread out silly putty, then remove the lense witout disturbing the putty. then pour a few drops of the elmers into the 'mold' you made. let the glue dry and harden, when it does it dries almost trans parent. remove the new lense from the mold and trim off any excess 'glass'. paint the back area that will be hidden by the body silver and put a drop of epoxy or testors wood/metal glue and place the lense in the socket.
Very good tip for a clear lens reproduction, Dave Knight. Thanks for sharing the info. The only hard part is removing the orange lens without breaking it. :?

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:58 pm

I went ahead and preorderd KITT and Christine. Both are supposed to be out this week. I can't wait! :D
Last edited by MischievousJoe on Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:00 pm

Daniel,I would realy like to see the scanner move to.Can you email it to me as well?

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:25 pm

yeah me too, im curious

MrPayner
Operative

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I snapped a mirror off!!!!

Post by MrPayner » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:18 pm

Well.. I'm really happy.. I received both my Aoshima models in the post today from Japan [4 days to Australia].. Dad was watching me unpack the boxes and I can tell you that i was like Christmas had come early this year. It was an exciting moment. The models are quite attractive [why wouldn't they be], and the white writing on the tyres doesn't really phase me much at all really. Just adds character to the whole thing. The nose driving lights.. well.. it looks like there's a silver piece actually in the plastic and the little rod out the back goes through it. Obviously would've been better if the silver piece was layered into the plastic to avoid seeing the attachment at the back. The Scanner works quite well, and the ejector seat really ejects! It springs up very quickly.. I had a bit of a play with the grapling hook and, although I didn't pull it out too far, mine seemed to retract ok. There's a very narrow gap for the rope to retract into, so imran check that it's not choking itself up..

However, upon arranging the model of KITT for a quick photo numbnuts here [read ME!!] brushed the passenger side mirror on the tail of my shirt ever so lightly and the bloody thing came off!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I went down to the hobby store in town and wouldn't you know it, they don't stock the special hobby bonding glue that does not make surrounding areas go white [much like super glue]. I'm mega pissed, what hobby store in their right mind would not stock such an item.. "oh, nobody bought that glue and we had to throw it out as it all dried up. We didn't re-order as we sell a lot of supa-glue"! I had a closer inspection of the driver side mirror, as it appears to be slightly bent upwards, and low and behold it would appear that it has been snapped as well at the manufacturers and glued back on, rather than fitting a new item! Its not that noticeable as the person who's done it seems to have had a steady hand, but still not happy about that.

Please help me... I need to know the name [ie chemical components] of a glue that i need to source to ensure that the surrounding area of the mirror does not go white when the glue has dried. Only then will i post pics for everyone! :wink: :wink: I can't risk sending KITT back to JAPAN as i might never see him ever again!

Help will be appreciated.

Regards
Adam

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:35 pm

try Testors Metal/Wood Glue it comes in a green tube availible at most hobby stores. it dries crystal clear and is very strong. i glued a door panel to a diecast car that was painted and forgot that i put it on upside down, tried to remove it and i pulled and pulled and finally it came off taking the paint that was on the door with it :shock: thankfully when i put the door pannel on the right way it was unseen. its also availible at most walmarts or any other store that sells model kits/paints/glues

i was gonna suggest getting it throug them directly http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1471 but they cant ship solvents outside the USA :evil: hope that helps, just look for the GREEN tube :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:38 pm

Dave Knight- I decided to go ahead and order one off eBay with the "Buy It Now" option through PayPal and spent $34.99. Hopefully it will come soon and in good condition.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:53 pm

DiecastDirect.com has KITT for Pre-Order for $26.99.

Can you believe some people on Ebay are paying over $100 for this?! That's really insane when you think about it. I guess some people have even LESS patience than we do about this car. LOL

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:41 am

Lost Knight wrote:Dave Knight- I decided to go ahead and order one off eBay with the "Buy It Now" option through PayPal and spent $34.99. Hopefully it will come soon and in good condition.
I ordered the ERTL off eBay as well for the same price. It seems very reasonable considering some auctions are reaching triple digits, and not even for the Aoshima either. I should be receiving mine soon as well, hopefully it won't disappoint.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:06 am

Paying US$35.00 (including shipping) for KITT is a real bargain. I hope all of you guys who bought from ebay receive your items in good condition, and without factory defects (including the box, no dents please). It's alarming to know about the missing pedals and defective sideview mirrors, I'm just glad the KITT I purchased is perfect. I hope everyone here gets their copy in the same condition.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:58 am

HondaSiR wrote:It's alarming to know about the missing pedals and defective sideview mirrors, I'm just glad the KITT I purchased is perfect.
Yeh.. I am thinking that maybe that mirror was almost broken anyway.. it was the lightest tap.. Image

Poo bum wee!

AP