1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:27 pm

With all things considered, Aoshima has done a splendid job. I hope the "cheaper" ERTL is identical to it. I have a sneaky feeling it will have some differences but I hope it will just be in the packaging.

By the way, it would have been cool if they incorporated functional pop-up headlights that light up. That would display well in a dark room together with the red/yellow scanner. But just the same, very good work Aoshima.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:53 pm

imranbecks wrote:You can say that right now, I'm in a dilemma... Coz I really don know which one I shd get... Aoshima or ERTL? If I were to go for Aoshima's, I will have to pay more.....but I fear that after paying more, the model would turn out to be exactly like ERTL's... What if there are no variations at all between the two... (ie; Aoshima = ERTL, ERTL = Aoshima)
...which is the reason that I'm waiting this time. In the past I have pre-ordered all the Aoshima KR stuff in advance because I knew there was not alternative and precisely what it was. This time its total confusion. Why is the Aoshima £10 more? is the ERTL the same as the Aoshima? if it is then why should I bother with the Asohima one? if its not then what more do I get for that £10 more?....its all alittle frustrating. I intend not to place any pre-order until I know for a fact whats going on. Its not like they will all be snapped up in a micro-second. Besides, should be interesting to see others take the plung first :lol:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:59 pm

it is confusing...they both have the same features and they are both die-cast...i was gonna say the overall quality is going to be better on the aoshima but die cast is die cast, isn't it?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:57 pm

...yes die-cast is die-cast and its not going to make that much difference in price. Types of paint and hand detailing can make a difference in price. For example, the Aoshima could have a painted dash and other minor detailing where as the ERTL could just have stickers over the dash....its just a thought but its alittle difficult to guess anything unless we start seeing pics of the ERTL KITT.

Sarfraz

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Thanks!

Post by corlando52 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:42 pm

First, a big round of applause and a sincere thank you for the wonderful pictures. We are all extremely greatful..
The toy show in Chicago is on October 14th, and I should have some pictures from Ertl's booth. There is another show in Las Vegas the week before which might provide us with pictures of Ertl's KITT, so we have to check the web. ToyMania usually covers that show, so I'll keep a lookout on that website.
We'll keep it all posted here!

Chris :kittspin:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:19 am

Looking good! Unfortunately still has that black frame around the rear window and there's no overhead console (probably because of the detachable T-top). That third extra fog light is slightly longer than the others; I think Ertl's prototype picture with the amber lights had those lights longer as well and for the final product they just replaced the amber lens with the clear and kept the size. Anyway, I will definately be painting over that one or covering it up some other way.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:44 am

Lost Knight wrote:Looking good! Unfortunately still has that black frame around the rear window and there's no overhead console (probably because of the detachable T-top).
imranbecks wrote:More pics..... Hold your jaw!!!

I have to disagree.. If u look at the 3rd and 4th picture closely, u can see that the overhead console is present in both KITT and KARR. The overhead console is in the center of the top, so it won't interfere with the detachable roof...

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:22 am

Ill buy it if the price isnt Hefty

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:27 am

ReddawgKnight wrote:Ill buy it if the price isnt Hefty
It is worth it if u are a Knight Rider fanatic... Like me!!!! :lol:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Yes I see what appears to be the overhead console in there, but still that annoying frame on the rear window remains.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:29 pm

Im sure the only reason they did the window thing is cause on the real trans ams and camaros the hatch is ALL glass except for the part the rear spoiler attaches to. At least they tinted the back window to kind of hide it :roll: . To me the rear window is the only thing i dont care for, but i will STILL get this car, and KARR :lol: as well :wink:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:03 pm

I'm not so sure that's necessarily the case, being that I have a 1993 Corvette 1/18th scale model which has the same type of trunk as in being all glass. It has no frame and is all plastic. That sucks that they also tinted the rear window though.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:12 pm

Has anyone here ever ordered from http://www.hlj.com ? How was the experience?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:11 pm

PBH wrote:Has anyone here ever ordered from http://www.hlj.com ? How was the experience?
I order from hlj quite often.. It has very good service and is very reliable.. In fact, I just changed my order and preordered the 1:18 KITT from HLJ instead cause i really trust them...
Last edited by imranbecks on Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:11 pm

Check out the 3rd picture....K.A.R.R.'s licence plate says Knight.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:16 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Check out the 3rd picture....K.A.R.R.'s licence plate says Knight.
Yeah, noticed that too... Minor error.. They will definitely change it for the final product...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Damn it....I had to fix my car's front stabilizer linkage (had a strange rackety noise when I drove on an uneven surface). And my beloved dog got sick, I had to take him to the vet yesterday. To make a long story short, I spent a significant amount of money and I don't think I'll have the resources to purchase KITT this November. Damn. And Christmas is fast approaching, gotta have gifts ready. Look like there will be no KITT for me this year, I just hope there will still be available stocks next year. I hate the thought of "missing out" on a great toy, but circumstances force me to do otherwise. :cry:

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:46 pm

Dave Knight wrote:Im sure the only reason they did the window thing is cause on the real trans ams and camaros the hatch is ALL glass except for the part the rear spoiler attaches to. At least they tinted the back window to kind of hide it :roll: . To me the rear window is the only thing i dont care for, but i will STILL get this car, and KARR :lol: as well :wink:
it is all glass on the real thing but there is a small rapped piece of metal that frames the whole window so the edges dont crack. i'm sure thats what the frame on the model represents...surely they could have reproduced it smaller though.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:46 am

Ya the frame does look a tad too big around the windshield..

Check out the scanner... It looks like it has 6 leds.. I'm wondering how they wld move... I don't think there will be a trailing effect for the scanner. I'm guessing that the scanner would move similar to the one on the Knight Rider mini Z cars...

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:16 am

Thanks imranbecks! Has anyone else here ever ordered from http://www.hlj.com ? How about from North America? How was the experience?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:38 pm

Well I've been using hlj.com for several years now (around 3 I think) and I have never experienced one problem. Their prices are slightly cheaper than retail prices within Japan so you know your going to get a good price. Saying that, I think I've spent well over £700 (around $1300) with hlj.com in total over those years....that more than anything else should give you an indication of how much I trust them.

The company is headed by an American within Japan so he probably has more than a good understanding of whats required to get stuff to the states. You can read more about the company here:
http://www.hlj.com/overview/hlj_overview.html

If you have concerns about shiping to the states look here:
http://www.hlj.com/hlj_shipping.html

SAL (surface air lifted) takes 2 weeks to get to the Uk (should be about the same to the states). I think that the EMS (express mail) is passed on to UPS in the states and takes a week....although the cost is obviously alittle higher.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm

sarfraz wrote:Well I've been using hlj.com for several years now (around 3 I think) and I have never experienced one problem. Their prices are slightly cheaper than retail prices within Japan so you know your going to get a good price. Saying that, I think I've spent well over £700 (around $1300) with hlj.com in total over those years....that more than anything else should give you an indication of how much I trust them.

The company is headed by an American within Japan so he probably has more than a good understanding of whats required to get stuff to the states. You can read more about the company here:
http://www.hlj.com/overview/hlj_overview.html

If you have concerns about shiping to the states look here:
http://www.hlj.com/hlj_shipping.html

SAL (surface air lifted) takes 2 weeks to get to the Uk (should be about the same to the states). I think that the EMS (express mail) is passed on to UPS in the states and takes a week....although the cost is obviously alittle higher.
EMS is higher but it is a lot safer than shipping by SAL... But right now, I don't know which shipping method I shd use for the 1:18 KITT once it becomes available at HLJ... SAL or EMS? I ordered my previous 2 items using SAL and it arrived within a week, but because the 1:18 KITT will be the largest item I have ever ordered from that site, I fear that it might get lost (touch wood!!) during shipment if I were to use SAL... What do u think Sarfraz? SAL or EMS? And how much wld EMS probably cost in regards to the weight of the model as well as the size of the package?
Last edited by imranbecks on Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

scanner tail...

Post by corlando52 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:18 pm

Check out the scanner... It looks like it has 6 leds.. I'm wondering how they wld move... I don't think there will be a trailing effect for the scanner. I'm guessing that the scanner would move similar to the one on the Knight Rider mini Z cars...
You can't have a "tail" with LEDs. The trailing effect is only because of the lights getting dimmer as they turn off. LEDs are only on or off...no dimming.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:54 pm

From this pic, we can see that the rear window at the trunk is not blacked out as we all though it wld be....

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:02 am

and i would say that those fog lamps are def NOT stickers. nice. not sure about them being framed by the nose like that though...interesting.