1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:31 pm

I see. I don't think that would be possible FuzzieDice. We don't know what it would look like, and the show never gave us a chance to see KITT's engine bay up close.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:41 pm

I don't believe that's the real deal. It doesn't show a licenced picture from any legit site and instead just shows a picture of the old AMT Ertl model. I've seen that before on eBay, for now I think it's just a misleading offer, as there are many of those on eBay. I got suckered with the Knight Rider 2000 DVD which turned out to be homemade and burnt onto a disc from a VHS tape. I'll believe it when I see it on http://www.exoticar.com or any other die cast car website.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:24 am

Lost Knight wrote:I don't believe that's the real deal. It doesn't show a licenced picture from any legit site and instead just shows a picture of the old AMT Ertl model. I've seen that before on eBay, for now I think it's just a misleading offer, as there are many of those on eBay. I got suckered with the Knight Rider 2000 DVD which turned out to be homemade and burnt onto a disc from a VHS tape. I'll believe it when I see it on http://www.exoticar.com or any other die cast car website.
Hmm, they do have a store location in Southren CA. I am half tempted to call them to see what they say about the model. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask them as well, post them here. :)

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:54 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I don't believe that's the real deal. It doesn't show a licenced picture from any legit site and instead just shows a picture of the old AMT Ertl model. I've seen that before on eBay, for now I think it's just a misleading offer, as there are many of those on eBay. I got suckered with the Knight Rider 2000 DVD which turned out to be homemade and burnt onto a disc from a VHS tape. I'll believe it when I see it on http://www.exoticar.com or any other die cast car website.
there are pictures of the prototype on hollywood diecast's site.the reason the ad shows the model is because ertl has yet to release a pic of the finished product.the only pic is of the prototype.as for the ebay ad,check the sellers feedback.he has 4254 feedback with a positive rating of 99.4%. do you really think he got that by scamming people?for more re-assurance you can order it from http://www.diecastmuscle.com.it is a highly respected on-line diecast shop.they also use the same pic as in the auction :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:37 pm

Sounds good to me, if it comes out in October I'll def be buying it.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:49 pm

pewter 02ws6 wrote:
there are pictures of the prototype on hollywood diecast's site.the reason the ad shows the model is because ertl has yet to release a pic of the finished product.the only pic is of the prototype.as for the ebay ad,check the sellers feedback.he has 4254 feedback with a positive rating of 99.4%. do you really think he got that by scamming people?for more re-assurance you can order it from http://www.diecastmuscle.com.it is a highly respected on-line diecast shop.they also use the same pic as in the auction :wink:
Yup.. Thats where I have already preordered mine... Please.. No delays.... Looking forward to October....

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:47 am

I think those pictures are legit because for one big thing, in several of the shots you can actually see the hinges that retreat into the car body itself where the door connects and the hood connects. Plus, on the exterior shot that's posted, it looks as if the trunk lid is also able to open, which would back up the initial claims of what the features of this car would be. And the reason that the car looks so identical in detail to the already released 1:25 scale plastic model KITT is because both that one and the 1:18 scale are both made by ERTL! LOL Of course they're gonna use the plastic model as a reference for making the 1:18 scale. So yeah, I think the pics are legit and they look great so far. I just hope the front end has the blackout turn signal covers included in the final product and that the fog lights in addition to the scanner light up too. I'm really curious as to how they're gonna make the passenger seat ejectable. Probably a spring-loaded mechanism? And does anyone have any idea if the grappling hook with be in the front or rear of the car? From the pics posted, it looks like the back is the most likely candidate.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:12 pm

I hope they come out with the 1st/2nd season nose with the turn signal blackouts and 1st/2nd season dash, but also have a version of the 3rd/4th season dash and nose. I've never seen a K.I.T.T. replica with the 3rd/4th season dash which I kinda liked better. If they have 2 versions of that, then making an accurate K.A.R.R. replica as well wouldn't be difficult either. Geez better yet now that I'm thinking of it, having an SPM replica would be awesome.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:20 am

Latest news from http://www.hollywood-diecast.com

Joe, the person that runs that website, has this to say:
8/27/04 - 1:18 K.I.T.T. Ready to Ship
I picked up the September issue of the Previews Catalog (for items shipping in November) at my local comic book shop. Although I haven't seen any photos of the finished product, Diamond Distributors is taking orders for RC2's 1:18 scale K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider:

"This 1:18 scale die-cast features opening hood, doors, rear hatch, working passenger side ejector seat, working red scanner light, removable t-tops, working front hitch with grappling hook, and on/off switch on chassis."

The SRP is $40.00.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:15 pm

That is encouraging news...I hope that the car makes it to my country. If not, I may have to resort to buying it online through ebay. But the important thing is that it gets released. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. SRP: $40.00? No problem for us KITT lovers :wink:

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:27 pm

DELETE MISTAKE POST
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:18 am

Only a month more to go if there are no delays.....

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:26 am

imranbecks wrote:Only a month more to go if there are no delays.....
Its still a possibility, I went to my comic shop today to snag my monthy Transformer comics and I decited to look in the Diamond previews. The KITT model is listed in there for the September issue, so that means all the merchandise in that issue goes out in Nov. Its listing for 40 bucks now...bit it is forwarned that it is still subject to change dates. I still put a reserve on it tho. Also, there is no offical pic yet in it either, its still the one of KITT and Hasselhoff.
If you want to scope it out and see if your comic shop will reserve it for you I beleive that is the best way to go rather than online. Its in the merchandise section of the magazine. Happy hunting!

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:59 pm

sarfraz wrote:However one thing does really bug me. Its a season 1 car, so where are the indentations to show the cutouts on the nose cone.
Sarfraz
not to sound stupid, but besides the above quote, someone else made mention to the front nose looking like a later season model.

My stupid question of the day is this, what's the difference in the front noses & what are these indentations to show the cutouts on the nose?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Well here are the differences in the noses season by season:

Season one's nose has the turn signal blackout covers, sometimes showing the turn signal lights on, has 3 fog lights on each side covered with bumper grills.

Season two has all of the above, but with only 2 fog lights on each side.

Season three has 2 fog lights on each side, no bumper grills, and indentations to where the turn signal blackout covers were- at least to me it looks like the nose is just shaped that way but doesn't have the actual covers on.

Season four has 2 fog lights on each side, no bumper grills, and no turn signal blackouts at all for a more sleek and smooth look. The shape of the nose looks somewhat sharper too, and that's my favorite version.

Hope that helps a little bit.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:36 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Well here are the differences in the noses season by season:

Season one's nose has the turn signal blackout covers, sometimes showing the turn signal lights on, has 3 fog lights on each side covered with bumper grills.

Season two has all of the above, but with only 2 fog lights on each side.

Season three has 2 fog lights on each side, no bumper grills, and indentations to where the turn signal blackout covers were- at least to me it looks like the nose is just shaped that way but doesn't have the actual covers on.

Season four has 2 fog lights on each side, no bumper grills, and no turn signal blackouts at all for a more sleek and smooth look. The shape of the nose looks somewhat sharper too, and that's my favorite version.

Hope that helps a little bit.
I noticed the new look KITT had in season 4 but I didn't notice that he looked different in seasons 2 and 3.... Season 4 KITT is my favourite version too...

Here is a pic of KITT in season 4 taken from the episode Sky Knight:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:55 pm

I liked it better when KITT had three foglamps on each side of the bumper. Having only two makes it look as if KITT has gaping holes in his body structure. It makes him look as if he has loose teeth or something. Most KITT replica makers nowadays build them with three foglamps. It's the best design in my opinion.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:18 am

Guys!!!!! I found this pic of the 1/18 scale KITT to be released in October at http://www.showcasetoys.com This is maybe how the model will look like!!!! I can't wait!!! Looks pretty convincing and is perhaps the official pic. Very nice.... The exterior definitely looks like the season 4 KITT even though the interior pics of the prototype model was the season 1 and 2 dash.... But one of the fog lights is orange...???

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:28 am

Thanks for the pic Imran. Yeah, what gives with those orange fog lights? (making it UK road legel :lol: ) That nose is alittle contradictory though. 3-fog lights suggest season 1 but then theres still no cutouts. From that frontal shot in sky knight, it also appears that this model noses looks too rounded to be season 1. I suspect it is meant to be a season 1 car but they have forgotten the obvious grill and cutouts.

On another note, is it the pic or does the back end of the car look far too short, and the rear window is blacked out. Also while I'm at it, those tires look too thin. The tire wall is much larger on KITT than that.

I sound like a grinch don't I? I just have high expectations after seeing the Aoshima 1/43 cars in up close.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:44 am

seems like a nice model, but I do have the same remarks as sarfraz here. anyway, when it's released, I'll definitly buy it :)

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:49 am

sarfraz wrote:Thanks for the pic Imran. Yeah, what gives with those orange fog lights? (making it UK road legel :lol: ) That nose is alittle contradictory though. 3-fog lights suggest season 1 but then theres still no cutouts. From that frontal shot in sky knight, it also appears that this model noses looks too rounded to be season 1. I suspect it is meant to be a season 1 car but they have forgotten the obvious grill and cutouts.

On another note, is it the pic or does the back end of the car look far too short, and the rear window is blacked out. Also while I'm at it, those tires look too thin. The tire wall is much larger on KITT than that.

I sound like a grinch don't I? I just have high expectations after seeing the Aoshima 1/43 cars in up close.

Sarfraz
LOL!!! :lol: But you got to admit that the model looks great despite being not as accurate as it was seen in the first two seasons.... The model is a mixture of both the first 2 seasons and the 4th season :lol:

I'm still gonna get it no matter what... Gotta have it.. :wink:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:02 am

Maybe they thought that a pair of the fog lights were meant to be a turning signal (I mean, who knows what their source material for the car's construction might be). Of course, if you're crafty enough, you can remedy that yourself with the use of Easy-Off (you may need to remove the fog lights from the car first before doing anything).

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:38 am

It looks pretty good, maybe the best KITT model ever, but it isn't perfect. For example the hood still doesn't seem to curve down enough so the nose looks too high. Or maybe I'm just too picky... :?

-KITTfan-

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:26 pm

I don't see what the problem is with getting accuracy in models. I have to say I was impressed with the 1/43 models' attention to detail, despite K.A.R.R.'s dash being 3rd/4th season. I figure the bigger the model, the easier it will be to detail it. For anyone constructing the model, all they have to do is pick a season and copy it. The model looks decent though and of course I'm still going to buy it! Us fans can be very nitpicky, we know how things are supposed to be, but you have to take into account that the rest of the world aren't as much of Knight Rider enthusiasts as us, so knowing each miniscule detail per season may be easy to overlook for them.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:08 pm

I liked K.I.T.T. better with the 2 fog lights, it seemed more natural looking to me. When he had the 3 fog lights, although they filled up the entire space, I thought it looked like too many. Even though there's open spaces on each side with 2 lights, I think it's like a less is more type of thing. I also liked the 4th season nose best because it looked the most natural compared to the noses of other seasons, and with the less rounded off look, I thought it matched the lines of the car more accurately.