KITT's Sound Effects - Which is your favourite?

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Which is your favourite KITT sound effect?

The Scanner
54%
Turbo Boost
7%
Turbine Whine (when KITT passes by the camera)
12%
Super Pursuit Mode
4%
Speedometer Rising Rapidly (the fast ticking sound)
13%
Surveillance Mode
No votes
Microjam/Microlock
No votes
Monitor (turning on and off when Devon calls)
1%
General button noises (like the beeping of telephone keys - also used when KITT swaps between auto and normal cruise)
1%
Other (please specify below)
6%

Total votes: 67

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:07 pm

I'm not sure what to think about the turbo boost. Although I like the sound, sometimes it felt a little odd the way the sound "reset" every time they changed camera angles during the jump. I went with scanner instead.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:48 pm

I may be odd, but while I associated the scanner sound with KITT (though it actually is a derived version of the Battlestar Galactica Cylon Centurion sound), I really love the sound of KITT's turbines winding down to a stop. Sounds so high-tech and robotic which is, along with KITT's artificial intelligence system, what I love about KITT. I also love his power-up sounds as well.

But the best sound of all? His VOICE! :)

(Maybe this should also be added to the poll?)

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:03 pm

I voted for the scanner sweep,but turbo boost and KITT's start-up sequence are a very close 2nd and 3rd.Lost Knight made a good point that the scanner sweep gives KITT an identity,but it also gives him a pulse,a sign of life,like Darth Vader's breathing, thereby creating an emotional connection for the audience.The same goes for the start-up sequence,like he's coming alive(notice how I say" he" and not "it".).The turbo boost gets me pumped I guess because of the rapid succession of the sound;BEEP! button press,rocket-sounding WHOOSH!,Michael leans back in his seat,midair WHOOOOM!,KADUNK! landing,Michael goes"WOOO!".It just goes to show you how important sound and sound effects are in creating an enjoyable viewing experience.
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:44 pm

not sure why thay kept resetting the sound mid-air when the camera changed maybe just artistic licence as it just made it sound even cooler to me! :D made the jumps seems longer than they were, u notice that? clever trick, very clever when you think they're using sound effects to achieve it(!).

and the galactica sound effect, was that not the sound fx they used when we first saw KITT in the pilot? (the commentary and interviews in the dvd boxset go someway to explaining why they used that effect and the light for the scanner, both of which they changed when they got the go ahead to film the full pilot.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

chrisebourg
Operative

KR Sound

Post by chrisebourg » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:45 am

It's definately the scanner... Makes K.I.T.T. sound very "busy" :D

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:50 pm

does anyone know of a siite where you can download clips of KITT's and both of KARR's scanner sounds?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:32 pm

knightendo wrote: and the galactica sound effect, was that not the sound fx they used when we first saw KITT in the pilot? (the commentary and interviews in the dvd boxset go someway to explaining why they used that effect and the light for the scanner, both of which they changed when they got the go ahead to film the full pilot.
I think in the DVD interview of Glenn Larson, (there I think are a couple interviews of him so I forgot which one), he does mention that they took the sound from Battlestar Galactica and "recycled" it because they don't want to waste anything. So yeah, it was like they were taking part of the Cylon idea and applying it to K.I.T.T. Which was kinda cool because I loved the Cylons on BG, too. :)

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:29 pm

MrPayner wrote:Vote is cast.. SCANNER..

And it's coming a modest 1st position too.. I agree with Lost Knight, "Keep your scanners peeled, buddy" is a great Knight Rider-ism..

AP
Yeap! i think that the scanner made Knight Rider noticeable to everyone.
actually, you can say that the scanner is in fact the logo of the show

STAR KNIGHT
Stranger

Post by STAR KNIGHT » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:31 am

My favorite would have to be the sound Kitt's doors make. Not the door motor whine, but the clicking whenever someone pulls the door handle. It's so subtle, but always adds to the atmosphere of the car.

And you gotta love the gas pedal sound with the green LEDs.

midniterider
Recruit

K.A.R.R's scanner

Post by midniterider » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:06 pm

Without a doubt, the scanner on K.A.R.R Nice and twisted! Sort of a backwards version of K.I.T.T.s scanner :twisted: .

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:14 pm

K.A.R.R.'s scanner sound sounds flat out like a robot, hence the Robot part in his name...I would have found the sound effect a tad bit irritating if I heard it too much...K.I.T.T.'s scanner has more of a subtle smoothness to it, I think.

Anyway, it just goes to show you that K.I.T.T.'s sound effects play such a major role in creating the illusion that he's a high-tech supercar which is brilliant when you think about it because it is all subconscious, almost subliminal if you think about it. You hear them all the time but take the sounds for granted, then realize they added more to his character than you always thought they did.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:16 pm

Lost Knight - You're right! I think that all of KITT's sounds do make him more "alive" and who he is (notice I didn't say "what" :) )

I think KITT's scanner is nice and smooth and almost gentle sounding to match his persona. OTOH, KARR's scanner is more evil sounding to match HIS persona.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:58 pm

Yup...just like his gritty, gusty yet sinister but clever voice.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:25 pm

well said lost knight, kinda what i was getting at with the resetting of the turbo boost sound in mid-air, it subliminally makes you think POWER! :D
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:09 am

I think resetting of each angle and sound of the turbo boosts helps give them a more dramatic, massive feel like MAJOR STUNT HAPPENING.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:29 am

Maybe the sound was resetting because the sound clip only played for so many seconds and that wasn't as long as the clip of the stunt itself, so they had to keep looping the sound to fit the clip...? Probably not exactly how it was done but that's another thing that came across my mind.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:59 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Maybe the sound was resetting because the sound clip only played for so many seconds and that wasn't as long as the clip of the stunt itself, so they had to keep looping the sound to fit the clip...? Probably not exactly how it was done but that's another thing that came across my mind.
there are a couple of instances in season two onwards when we see a turbo boost from one angle in slow motion and the sound carries on for the entire stunt, and the scene in goliath when michael uses the turbo thrusters while KITT is on his side, the effect goes on for a while then too, not quite as long as the aforementioned boosts but still longer than normal.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm

I voted for the Speedometer ticking, it was just an ingenious touch.

Otherwise, it would have been the scanner. I love when KITT either doesn't have an answer (when he's complimented) or when he doesn't want to answer (when being questioned) how he just responds with that...swoosh...thing.

i.e. Michael: "Yeah, i got a question, like how Devon got Sabrina's number!"
KITT: *scanner sound*

heehee, classic. It's also my sister's favorite thing KITT does.

Of course there's always the sound ripped right from Atari's Centipede sometimes on the moniter, that always gives me a laugh.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:25 am

knightendo: I guess I never really noticed. I'll have to check that out when Season 2 DVDs hit the shelves. :) But if that's the fact, then it obviously throws my theory out the window. :)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:28 am

cloutkitt: I loved that one time he did that after goosing Bonnie on the butt in "Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death." LOL! Now THAT was funny. As if he was trying to be devilishly innocent or something. :lol: :twisted:

Sometimes that scanner can show KITT's emotions better than his voice can. Depending on the situation, you just KNOW...

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:28 pm

lol, yeah, it's ingenious
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:38 pm

Scanner sound,the most significant of all,i also the speedometer,i hate the turbo boost sound!

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:10 am

Definately the scanner sweep sound, It's knida like KITT is purring, When congratulated or trying to whistle as if to say "Well, It wasn't me?"

Sound is important, Especially to a chrarcter that dosen't have a face to convey emotion.

LawandGovernmentAdvocate
Stranger

favorite knight rider sound effect

Post by LawandGovernmentAdvocate » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:43 pm

My favourite is definitely the "whoo-whoo" of the scanner.

And pardon the pun below in Michael's classic line to KITT":

"Keep your scanners PEALED (Peeled)!" - lol! :)
KARR: "How may I serve you?...."

The 'rev' : "How - How 'bout a couple eggs sunnyside up?"

KARR: "I have no eggs!"

From "Trust Doesn't Rust" - lol on above dialogue!!!

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:11 pm

I like all the sounds, but I like the scanner the best.
I can't choose just one, though, but the scanner's special to me.