Season DVD collections, good or bad?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Season DVD collections, good or bad?

Post by March2875 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:28 am

While shopping for DVD collections of my favorite shows. Knight Rider always at the top of my list. I was fascinated by how many modern shows still being made today are out on DVD as well. For example Smallville. Season 5 is showing now and Season 4 is out already. This got me thinking wouldn't this ruin modern shows chances of making money in syndication deals. I mean shows like Knight Rider and Dukes of Hazzard have run in syndication for years so they've made more than their share of money. Anyone else thought about this?

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:46 am

This is just speculation, but I think it would probably be okay. It's a good point though. I think they're putting the DVDs out as soon as they can after the seasons end for some shows and they probably make a lot of money that way. People haven't lost interest because of changing story arcs or tired plots or any of the other problems that can lead to lower ratings for the shows that go out on low points. They got get the nostalgia factor that way, like they do on older shows, but I'm sure there will be a new format to put them out on ten years from now.

But as far as syndication goes, the stations have to fill the air time with something. And a syndicated show is going to be a lot cheaper than original programming so I suspect the shows won't be hurt by it too much. Maybe the stations/channels will have preference for shows that haven't been released on DVD -- but those are going to get harder and harder to find anyway. ;-)

I suspect it will hurt viewership some, but I think it's going to be an across the board sort of thing. I don't know. Interesting question.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:11 am

I have been doing some thinking and... I believe that everyone in at least this forum, bought their Knight Rider DVD's because of their collections. I mean, there is nothing more original than having all the episodes on these 4 unique DVD sets. They are all made by universal, and if you want something very original from Knight Rider, then I think the DVD's are the ones to go for. That's the main reason I think.
There is of course other things that you can by, for inctance a Knight Rider cup, or a Knight Rider T-shirt etc.
But these are all manufactured by a company in which may not know what Knight Rider is all about. They just print whatever they are said to do and then give it to the stores, but these DVD sets, they all come from UNVERSAL itself! Can you have anything more original? I don't think so...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:25 am

I have to disagree that just because most modern TV shows come out on DVD so soon after one season is over that it hurts syndication. Think of it this way: If a series, like Smallville, is really good and has very solid and entertaining episodes, then you could buy the DVD right after a season is over and have the opportunity to watch any or all of the episodes as many times as you'd like but if you're just sitting around one day flipping the channels and you see an episode of Smallville on from, say Season 4, that is really good, then you're going to want to watch it no matter what if you really love the show. It happens to me all the time, an not just with modern TV shows. Look at big franchises like Star Trek as another example. Enterprise was the most recent TV series and now all 4 seasons of that show are available on DVD just 5 years after the first season aired. But just because it's available on DVD and a lot of people will buy those season sets to add to their collection doesn't mean that it isn't successful in syndication, simply for the same reason: If the show is good, people will watch no matter what format it's on or how many times it's aired.

Knight Rider is one of those classic TV series that people still love because it's just so much fun to watch over and over again and that's why it has been, and probably will continue to be, successful in syndication even with the eventual release of the rest of the series on DVD.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:24 pm

KFCreator wrote:Think of it this way: If a series, like Smallville, is really good and has very solid and entertaining episodes, then you could buy the DVD right after a season is over and have the opportunity to watch any or all of the episodes as many times as you'd like but if you're just sitting around one day flipping the channels and you see an episode of Smallville on from, say Season 4, that is really good, then you're going to want to watch it no matter what if you really love the show.
I agree with you there, that people are still going to be sucked in from time to time, and watch an episode or two. But I think it still changes the way people watch. If you have the Star Trek DVDs, you aren't going to go out of your way to stay home on Friday night to watch it on Spike (taping it didn't used to count for ratings, but maybe they've changed that)? If you're sitting home with nothing to do, then you might watch. And really VCRs really started the trend, but I think a lot more people collect DVDs than bothered to tape entire series just because they're smaller and easier to store.

You're still going to get the casual viewer but I think it's harder to build up a base of people who are watching religiously. But there are a lot of factors that are playing into that trend, so I don't think it's just the DVDs.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:35 pm

I think season DVDs of certain shows aren't that greqat, but the DVD sets of "Knight Rider", however, are worth checking out, though.

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:05 pm

I would not think so.... I have all of my favorite t.v. shows burned or store bought on DVD. I and I don't think that buying all of your favorite t.v. shows on DVD would hurt the t.v. companies either, nless you Downloaded the shows illegally. Buying the DVD's is another way for t.v. companies like Fox, or ABC to make money..... (I'm a pro at babbling on and on.....**random thought**)
I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.