CHiPs: The Motion Picture

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

CHiPs: The Motion Picture

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:45 pm

I guess it had to happen... they're making a CHiPs movie.

Wilmer Valderrama ("Fez" on That 70s Show) will play Ponch.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051208/tv_nm/valderrama_dc

I don't know if CHiPs made it overseas or not... It was a late-70s, early 80s TV show about 2 motorcycle cops in the California Highway Patrol (CHP). It was known for its over-the-top car crashes: a newspaper would blow onto the freeway and there'd be a 10-car pile-up. Knight Rider might not be a direct-decendant of CHiPs, but they're at least cousins.

I know I'm one of the last holdouts regarding being patient with KR movie, but even I'm starting to crack now.

89 formula
Recruit

Post by 89 formula » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:14 pm

Wow, I didn't think that the Ponch and John show was that popular since they quit making it.

I've given up on waiting for a new Knight Rider movie. Personally, I think that the TV series was fantastic, but it only worked "as is" in the early 80's. I mean, if there was a new movie, KITT would have to be something other than an early 3rd gen Trans AM. I can just imagine the producers using a tuner to appeal to the younger crowd. By the way, the Knight Rider 2000 movie did not work for me, I didn't think it had the feel of the TV series.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:56 pm

It's sad to see that the only remakes being made are ones with obvious over the top lauging at itself plotlines. Maybe it's good that Hasselhoff claims to be trying to make a serious movie, make it stand out from the rest.

What is funny, is that he already played Ponch on a MadTV skit. Danny Masterson and Him were in the skit together.

A bunch of images from that MadTV episode here:
http://dark-bliss.net/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=23

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:10 pm

Danny Masterson's hair was way overdone (probably on purpose). :lol: But Wilmer's looking very close to what Ponch looked like.

I used to watch CHiPs a lot as a kid. Was a good show. I'm surprised they are making a movie though because I too didn't think it was all that popular compared to some of the other shows that were out back then.

As for the KR movie, I'm not giving up hope, but I think the "what KITT should be/look like" discussion was already discussed a whole lot more than anything else I've noticed. :) So all I can say is, to see my views, see other threads on the topic. :lol:

And then there's always some good fanfic to keep ya going between season releases and the (hopefully upcoming) movie. :)

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Well, it's nice to know fez has something to do after "That 70's show" wraps.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Re: CHiPs: The Motion Picture

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:34 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:I guess it had to happen... they're making a CHiPs movie.

Wilmer Valderrama ("Fez" on That 70s Show) will play Ponch.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051208/tv_nm/valderrama_dc

I don't know if CHiPs made it overseas or not... It was a late-70s, early 80s TV show about 2 motorcycle cops in the California Highway Patrol (CHP). It was known for its over-the-top car crashes: a newspaper would blow onto the freeway and there'd be a 10-car pile-up. Knight Rider might not be a direct-decendant of CHiPs, but they're at least cousins.

I know I'm one of the last holdouts regarding being patient with KR movie, but even I'm starting to crack now.
Mike, i figured you would've cracked after "The Dukes of hazzard" movie came out.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Re: CHiPs: The Motion Picture

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:33 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:Mike, i figured you would've cracked after "The Dukes of hazzard" movie came out.
The Dukes movie didn't bother me as much because although Dukes is a bit older than KR they're basically from the same era and I kind of think of the two shows as being "equals". I just assumed that if they did a Dukes movie, a KR movie would follow quickly. Or if Knight Rider happened to be done first, then Dukes would be released soon after. With CHiPs though, it's like "they" are jumping back to the 70s when there is still good 80s material to use. (Yes, Starsky & Hutch was already done but in my mind that show isn't as closely related to KR as Dukes and CHiPs are.)

I keep thinking about Spiderman and the new Superman movies. Both of those films stayed in development limbo for years and years - I think Spiderman may have taken over 10 and it turned out great.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:15 pm

Did D. Hasselhoff really spoof Ponch on "Mad TV?" If so, I sure missed that one.....

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 pm

No not Hasselhoff , Lyn. Wilmer Valderrama, who has signed as Ponch in the new movie.

Although I hope they don't take 20 yrs to do Knight Rider movie like they did with Spiderman and Superman... oh wait..

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 am

I misinterpreted that one, huh? Oh, well....
Well, Wilmer Valderama's going to make a good version of the Erik Estrada character in the "CHiPs" movie, and I think he'll do a good job.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:39 pm

the heck with that; I wanna know who's gonna play Sgt. Gartrear. Maybe Kurtwood Smith.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:20 pm

Good likeness.

Or how about Artie Grossman (the big guy) or "Bear" - the cop in the cruiser?

Man, this all brings back memories. :) I wonder if they'll make any Adam-12 or Emergency movies?

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:44 pm

I figured they would come out with a CHiP's movie. As far as KR, it'll happen, just have to be patient. If they don't use a T/A i'll refuse to watch it. That simple. Not to mention I'm sure most of the fans will be upset. Either use a early third gen or a 98-02 WS6.
#*CK YOU KITT!!!

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:41 pm

What about the CHiPs 99 movie?

Even though it was incredibly silly, It was still better than KR 2000

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:19 am

That's right, AtariKnight.
I guess KIFT was so jealous over the storyline for CHiPS '99 that he had to make a cameo at least.

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:50 pm

walter h. anderson wrote:That's right, AtariKnight.
I guess KIFT was so jealous over the storyline for CHiPS '99 that he had to make a cameo at least.
I forgot about the red car , Yeah It was KIFT. :D