Time For My Introduction...

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Time For My Introduction...

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:18 am

Ok, I know I may have upset some of you and I'm sorry. First, let me introduce myself. My name is Rick, I'm 25 and from North East Ohio. I grew up watching Knight Rider in the 80's and I watched KR2000 when it first aired on NBC. I also own both of the first two seasons on dvd. I used to have a voice car (yes the crown jewel) back in the day but my dads ex gf's kids literally destroyed it when i wasn't around, and micheal disappeared. I also had a 1:64 scale ertl car from back then too that was mint, that disappeared. I still have my lunch box but it rusted out pretty bad because they used it and they left it in the sink full of water. The thermos disappeared too. Are you getting sick yet? :evil: My parents bought an '82 Trans Am (ttop, black and gold, like KITT) brand new in '82. Only difference was it had black PMD interior instead of the tan. I now have a red '02 WS6 T/A, hence my sn. I also have a '98 Grand Prix GTP for a daily driver and a '86 Buick Grand National for a project car I need to start on. My parents split up in '92 and my mom sold the '82 a few years later when it was already starting to rust out and i was too young and too poor to buy it. I loved that car. In fact I'm actively looking for one just like it, but it's hard. I have a line on one right now but it needs almost everything. I would restore it anyway, but I won't turn it into a KITT replica, since there are more of those than b/g '82 T/A's anymore. I like the stock bumper and gold trim better anyway, no offense anyone. I would yank the crappy 305 and drop in an LS1 and 4L60E tranny. I'm more of a hot rodder than a Knight junkie. I sat in KITT back in '84 like a few people on this site have. And I sat in him again in '03 at the Trans Am/Knight Nationals in Dayton, Oh. The one that was featured in High Performance Pontiac, and won "editors choice" for the magazine and the "best KITT" award or whatever it was called for the Knight nationals.

Enough of the backround. Some of the things people say and do on this website dumbfound me. It's like they think KITT actually talked and had feelings, etc. IT WAS A TV SHOW!!! HELLO!!! As much as i liked it in the 80's and how i still like it now, it's JUST A SHOW. Posts like, "KITT didn't like Micheal, I have proof!!" and "vettes and camaros are KITT wannabees!!" WTF?!?! Topics like these make me wanna b*tch slap someone on the other side of the computer. And it's not like 10 year olds that are writing this sh*t, it's people in thier 20' and 30's. The show was cancelled 20 years ago. Let it go. It's cool this site exists and people can discuss thier favorite episodes and KITT conversion questions, but the Knight Rider "trekkies" need to wake up. Topics like "what happened to RC and Bonnie?" is pretty stupid too. Who would possibly know that? The writers of the show don't even know because it was never scripted, so why ask it, wasting bandwidth? Another one was the "what other cars would you put a scanner on, besides a T/A?" I wouldn't even put one on a T/A honestly, I think they're cheesy as hell. I saw a black '98-'99ish T/A at the '03 nats that had the scanner and it looked like crap. it was black, dirty as hell, he was wiping the dirt off with a rag, scratching the sh*t outta the paint, he had 18" chrome homie rims on it, it sounded like sh*t, and he put red plastic wrap over all the front lights. Needless to say this site made me want to throw up and beat this kid down. And the one guy who posted to that thread said his '95 Monte was a '95 KARR. KARR would've been a '95 T/A, call me crazy. And the guy talking like a psyco about his '89 Grand Am, weirdo. The '94 cavalier guy would get laughed at around here, and every surrounding area. This comments weren't meant to be taken personally, I just wish some of you weren't so geeky. It makes me embarrassed to be a KR fan.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:29 am

Thanks for you opinion; it's good to hear from someone who makes sense for a change. I think....

Kitzira
Operative

Re: Time For My Introduction...

Post by Kitzira » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:33 am

PHEONIX_WS6 wrote: I just wish some of you weren't so geeky. It makes me embarrassed to be a KR fan.
Oy, you said it!

There are crazies out there who take it to far... but they exist in any fandom and community. Ever seen the anime or furry geeks? They get worse.

I enjoy the show for what it was, and the fanfiction that followed was pretty good too. A good writer can make you think that the show was real and that Kitt had a soul.

And of course all the Roleplayers out there. Yes, you out there in Livejournal land, I'm lookin' at you.

When I was young, I wish that I could program my own Kitt. However my programming abilities can barely get me out of a box. What ppl have done in the AI field only touch on the personality that Kitt had. In the end, we will prolly never reach that goal.

Now days I enjoy KR and how it was made. The little blooper things I get a kick out of. It prolly fueled my idea of filmmaking for my major.

Mebbe someday, when I have lots of disposable income, I'll make my own conversion. I'd love to go to the Nationals one year, but the whole distance thing kinda gets in the way. That and I'd be nervous as all hell meeting some of my old friends who'd prolly be there. >.>

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:02 am

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:33 am

Now hang on a second...

We have people from all backgrounds here. Some are into cars, some are into scifi, some are into Hasselhoff. Some are old, some are young. Some are from the U.S., some are from other countries. Some people would say it's crazy to spend all that time and money building replicas, yet you seemed to enjoy their efforts. Some people like playing "what if...?" by writing their own stories or asking questions about RC3 and Bonnie. It's called being creative. Personally, I could spend weeks debating the physics of how a turbo boost system COULD work. Other people would be bored to tears.

It's that diversity that makes the fandom so vibrant, and to be honest I think it's kind of bold of you to come here and criticize the way other people celebrate the show. Especially since you've only been here 3 days.

Welcome to the board! Now ease up. :)

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:39 pm

Kitzira wrote:
Oy, you said it!

When I was young, I wish that I could program my own Kitt.

Now days I enjoy KR and how it was made. The little blooper things I get a kick out of. It prolly fueled my idea of filmmaking for my major.
I used to wish i could program my own KITT and ride around with Micheal Knight too.... when I was 5. Fortunately, I did the enevitable and I grew up and matured. There are cats on here who are in thier mid 30's who still think like that. That's sad, and that's the point I'm trying to make. You have to grow up sometime. It was just a TV show that aired for only 4 years and it ended 20 years ago. Like you, I enjoy KR for what it is and enjoy the 80's nostalgia. I don't want to live that life. I don't want KITT for a car. I'd get laughed at and beat up. Not to mention my sex life would probably come to an end. I'd like to get into filmaking myself and I even have a few ideas about the KR movie but that's neither here nor there.

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:Now hang on a second...

We have people from all backgrounds here. Some are into cars, some are into scifi, some are into Hasselhoff. Some are old, some are young. Some are from the U.S., some are from other countries.

But there should be AT LEAST one person on this board that has common sense and a sense of reality.
Michael Pajaro wrote: Some people would say it's crazy to spend all that time and money building replicas, yet you seemed to enjoy their efforts.

I like the 2 I sat in. The 1st one I was 4 years old and it was 1984, so of course I was excited. The scond one was an exact replica of the one that was on the show. In fact, it was actually nicer, considering all of the button and lights actually worked compared to the show where they always showed file footage. It was in High Performance Pontiac magazine. The other cars at the show were pretty much junk. But when you have people who take GTA's and other future collectible TA's and make a KITT replica, thats what erritates me. Like all 5 million General Lee's out there. Are there any stock '69-'70 Chargers left anymore? Barely. Thanks to all the GL clones and the show and movie destroying a ton of them. To me that sh*t gets old.

Michael Pajaro wrote:Some people like playing "what if...?" by writing their own stories or asking questions about RC3 and Bonnie. It's called being creative. Personally, I could spend weeks debating the physics of how a turbo boost system COULD work. Other people would be bored to tears.

I would be one of them. The one thing I hated about the show. I loved how the car jumped. But I hated the sound effect and the name "turbo boost". Turbo boost is when a car has a turbo (which runs off of the exhaust) and creates boost underload, or when the accelerator is applied. No matter how much boost you have or how powerful the car is, IT WILL NEVER JUMP. Not on it's own anyway, and only if you had a ramp. If it was powerful enough and had slicks, you would lift the front tires off of the ground from a dead stop. But you'll never jump anything. Again, this is Hollywood special effects, not real life. Exactly my point.

LightForceKittFan
Rookie

Post by LightForceKittFan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:41 pm

PHEONIX_WS6 wrote: You have to grow up sometime. It was just a TV show that aired for only 4 years and it ended 20 years ago.
Yeah, maybe. I was born in 1983 and back when Knight Rider aired first time in Finland, I was too young to remember anything. Until it aired again this year, I finally got deeper inside the series. I loved the friendship between Michael and Kitt, and how they never left each other when there was times of trouble. That's the main thing I love about KR.
That is because I myself have gone through a depressing childhood. I was bullied at school (up to 8th grade) because of a reason I still don't know. My name was being yelled around the school corridors with horrible laughter. I was told my shoes were ugly and why did I have to read books during the breaks. Simple things like that. Sounds like nothing, but it made me lose my self-confidence completely. I had no real friends, the few ones I had were always speaking things behind my back. I've never had a best friend, a true one to who I could tell about my feelings. I doubt I'll never have one. So, Michael and Kitt were like those long lost best friends to me, as my own car is to me now. She doesn't ever betray me.
I never grew up because I had little siblings to play with and I guess I didn't play enough when I was a kid, 'cause I didn't have those friends to play with. I am getting more and more childish as time goes on, I collect little cars and horses and seem to never get enough of it. I didn't have much toys when I was a kid cause my parents were poor. I'm reliving my childhood, trying to make it better this time.
Creativity and foolishness are two very different things. Probably millions of people keep thinking about things like "how did Batman get his powers?" "can MacGyver disarm the bomb?" "how can Superman breath in the space?" etc. though we all know it's all fiction, and probably MacGyver disarms the bomb successfully, if there's another MacGyver episode airing the next week. Human mind likes to play with things, it's in our nature to do that. I guess you have locked that creativity back in your mind somewhere. Why did you sign up here on the forum, if all you do is make us look like fools?
Michael: "Someone tried to kill me yesterday."
Devon: "I have an alibi."

>>>CLICK HERE

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:43 pm

PHEONIX_WS6 wrote:And the guy talking like a psyco about his '89 Grand Am, weirdo. The '94 cavalier guy would get laughed at around here, and every surrounding area. This comments weren't meant to be taken personally, I just wish some of you weren't so geeky. It makes me embarrassed to be a KR fan.
Wow, way to make an impression there, buddy. I think being creative on a fan site is probably much better than critiquing a bunch of posts by people you call "geeks." And my comment about my Grand Am is called having a sense of humor. Sure it was a lame joke, but my point is that you should keep the negative comments to yourself since we are obviously not "cool" enough for you. Of course if you actually knew some of us better, maybe you wouldn't think members here are geeks or weirdos. The fact that some people were actually agreeing with you on your point of view in this thread astonishes me, because in my view, you're a borderline troll.

And if you have any further negative comments about threads that other people start (again, creativity because this is, uh...a FAN SITE), it'd probably be best to keep them to yourself. If you would like to reply back to me on this, a PM would probably be best from here on. I don't think it's out of line to get a little ticked off when a new member comes to a fan site and starts disrespecting the members there. If we're not on your level because we don't drive '02 Trans Ams, find some place that suits your tastes better.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:00 pm

This is Knight Rider Online, if you dont like the content or what is said here, get the hell outta here. Im tired of idiots who talk down on us here and have the nerve to nag about it post after post. Maybe if you posted with some respect and consideration I wouldn't be so hostile towards you. Moron. Image
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:47 pm

As for asking quesitons as you mentioned, this often sparks ideas for fanfic writers and there's been some very ineresting discussions. In fact almost as good as fanfic stories! In fact the one thread you didn't like actually sparked a fanfic challenge of sorts which resulted in some entertaining stories. As Michael said, it sparks creativity.

If you don't like something fine, but don't go dissing people and putting them down. If you don't want people being rude to you then don't be rude to them. You come off as probably some of the names you call others, to others just by posting like that. You're no better. If you're embarrassed to be a KR fan based on other's interpretation and enjoyment of Knight Rider, then I question your saying you're a KR fan at all.

You complain about people taking the series too seriously. Maybe you're taking this forum too serious. IT'S ONLY A FORUM!

And a fun one up until you started being rude to everyone who wanted to enjoy a little creative thinking, supposing, and just plain fun discussion.

PHEONIX_WS6
Recruit

Post by PHEONIX_WS6 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:02 pm

So am I still hated? Just wondering. Maybe someone should put a poll up if I should stay or if I should go? Sorry if I viewed Knight Rider in a diiferent way than like, 99% of you do. I liked it for the action, the car chases, the new weekly love interest, April in season 2, the Lone Ranger feel, KITT's capabilities and the fact he was a T/A. Just because i didn't like the scanner, KITT's voice, or the 80's nintendo sound effects and how they constantly used file footage weren't my favorite things about the show. I'm sorry you find this appalling and offensive. I'm sorry I'm a hetro-sexual male who found the acctresses on the show attractive. I'm sorry I don't base my life off of Knight Rider. I'm sorry I'm not the world's biggest Knight Rider fan anymore ( I was when I was a child) and I don't like 100% of the show. Some of you like parts of the show that didn't even exist, so I'm not a 157% fan like some of you are. I know, fanfic. What do you want me to say?
#*CK YOU KITT!!!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:00 am

We don't need to take a poll, it's really very simple.

People are free to be as big or small a fan of the show as they like. If they respect other people's fandom, they are welcome here. If they insult others for it, they are not.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:30 am

PHEONIX_WS6 wrote:So am I still hated? Just wondering. Maybe someone should put a poll up if I should stay or if I should go? Sorry if I viewed Knight Rider in a diiferent way than like, 99% of you do. I liked it for the action, the car chases, the new weekly love interest, April in season 2, the Lone Ranger feel, KITT's capabilities and the fact he was a T/A. Just because i didn't like the scanner, KITT's voice, or the 80's nintendo sound effects and how they constantly used file footage weren't my favorite things about the show. I'm sorry you find this appalling and offensive. I'm sorry I'm a hetro-sexual male who found the acctresses on the show attractive. I'm sorry I don't base my life off of Knight Rider. I'm sorry I'm not the world's biggest Knight Rider fan anymore ( I was when I was a child) and I don't like 100% of the show. Some of you like parts of the show that didn't even exist, so I'm not a 157% fan like some of you are. I know, fanfic. What do you want me to say?
Well, common sense would say that if you're wondering whether you're still hated, acting like a bitter child about it sure won't make it any better. Ya think?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

LightForceKittFan
Rookie

Post by LightForceKittFan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:14 am

Your signature doesn't seem like one of a KR fan...
Michael: "Someone tried to kill me yesterday."
Devon: "I have an alibi."

>>>CLICK HERE

rockykabir
Volunteer

Post by rockykabir » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:35 pm

Hey Rick,

Welcome to KROnline anyway(!)