Knight Rider book canon

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider book canon

Post by HungarianKnight » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:01 am

Howdy!

I finally got my hands on some Knight Rider books. They're German and are the direct translations of the paperback variants of Knight of the Phoenix, Trust doesn't rust, Hearts of stone and Goliath. I'm reading the Karr story now and there are some interesting facts. For example, Devon is a Professor of Psychology and Bonnie is a Doctor of Robotics. She got the job at Knight industries because her father was the pilot for Wilton Knight's jet. She was the one who developed Kitt's "human" voice, which is a great advancement compared to the "machine" voice of Karr, or as the story said. It says also that Michael was the one who wanted Kitt's original voice modulator removed because it made him fell asleep as if hypnotised. I noticed something fishy: the Karr story is the direct sequel of Knight of the Phoenix without the other six episodes. According to this, can we say that the facts stated in the novels are canonical? If you know something about these things, please tell me.

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:17 pm

Since the 'Knight of the Phoenix' novel barely resembles what aired, I wouldn't say they're canon. They kinda have thier own universe.

And the books going from KOTP to TDR actually makes a weird kind of sense: they're books in a series, the others aren't. I think they wanted the novels to kind of mesh together instead of being stand-alone. In 'novel' continuity, the other episodes didn't happen since there aren't any books for them. (Besides, TDR is one of the stronger episodes.)

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HungarianKnight » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:59 am

Yes, you seem to be right. As I struggle through the German words and sentences, it seems that the basics of the stories are the same but they're improved with things which didn't fit into the original 45 minutes airing time.