SELF DRIVING CAR????? for real

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rulloa81
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

SELF DRIVING CAR????? for real

Post by rulloa81 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Hey everybody I'm doing a little research on the self driving car that is currently being constructed by GM. I love the idea I think that once they get it developed well enough to be a secure and stable machine, this car could be great to use in populated cities like here in LA. I don't know exactly what the car will be able to do but if the car can drive by itself how does the car know where it's going?

here are some questions that I have maybe some of you can give me some feedback if you can help me out a little bit.

• How am I going to tell the car where to go?

• If I'm at a parking lot at school and I am in a hurry and can't find a spot can I just tell the car to find a parking spot while I go to class?

• how can the car detect what's in front, behind, and around the car? Does it have a laser or censor that can see obstacles?

• how is the car going to be able to make left and right turns, change lanes, and yield to the other cars in heavy traffic?

I don't expect any accurate answer but I would love to hear what you have to say. I know there was a topic about this before but I just wanted to make it new again....here are some links about this topic.

http://www.economist.com/science/displa ... id=4316021

http://autoblog.com/entry/1234000677056081/

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cf ... wsID=12141

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000137056230/

Daemonicus666
Operative

Post by Daemonicus666 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:49 pm

Funny you should mention that, there was an episode of Beyond Tommorow on TV here in Australia last night explaining all about how the 'self driving car' works I believe. I will see if I can find out more information for you and post back.
"I have special effects of my own. Im going to make you disappear for 20 years man..." - Michael Knight (Halloween Knight)

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm

It's an interesting set of questions. I haven't that much knowledge of the technologies being tested i'm afraid, but I think it's an certainly interesting discussion.

I remember seeing some developments in Japan where they had several cars all being driven themselves but they were given their own track of road. I'm not sure how these cars would deal with 'real' cars driven by people. It would be easier to control if every car was self driven so that the data obtained could be controlled of areas as a whole instead of individually.

To tell them where to go, you could either enter the details of the destination by keypad or perhaps by voice. The problem with this is the information you know may not be enough to determine a route so that you may rely on your own knowledge. It would probably have to have GPS-type knowledge to understand things like "next left" and even "stop here".

I can't see a problem with relying on your car to find a parking space, except legally, although the law will need to be changed first anyhow. If a unmanned car ran somebody over then there would be a press field day.
I've often been stuck for a space when i'm in a hurry so I would welcome a (reliable) solution.

About yielding to other traffic, this is going to be difficult, I imagine, that's why I think have fully automated would ease this somewhat, though that's not going to happen overnight. Those boffins at General Motors obviously think they can do it.

Some of the articles allude to the car having a crash (of the PC kind, okay so technically i should have said the software or something). I have often thought that if I really had KITT in real life, would I trust him to not fail? On Knight Rider, sure, he's reliable, but in real life, do we really give our life's trust in their hands?
I think that's another interesting question to ask.

Sorry if I don't really have the knowledge of many other forum members in this field but I will certainly be interested in the replies.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:14 pm

Thank you, Wizster, you gave me some good details......very helpful.

Daemonicus666..... If you can find that info I'll greatly appreciate it and if not then don't worry, it's cool

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:18 pm

rulloa81 wrote:Thank you, Wizster, you gave me some good details......very helpful.
Really? Wow! Glad to help.

I may have to do some research of my own, as it really is quite interesting. And with other people adding their views, i'm sure we could come up with some really good ideas :)

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:49 pm

yeah I'm really optimistic about the future because technology is growing everyday. It's good to hear people ideas too so that we can understand their views as well.

lets say that we have a car that can drive by itself, what are the benefits of siting in a car that is driving by itself

1. you can read a newspaper 2. you can talk on the cell phone without being distracted. 3. play some psp. 4. sleep (like Michael Knight does in the pilot episode) 5. eat some fast food on the way to work or school. 6. don't have to worry about DUI's anymore.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:52 pm

7. Have safer roads?
8. Take stress out of busy traffic conditions

I would also love to be able to call my car KITT-style to pick me up from somewhere. That'd be so cool and convenient.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:15 am

I think that GM car is the 2007 or 2008 Opal Vectra. I heard about it. Unfortunately, still not quite totally KITT. But hey, we're getting closer. :)

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:56 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:I think that GM car is the 2007 or 2008 Opal Vectra. I heard about it. Unfortunately, still not quite totally KITT. But hey, we're getting closer. :)
It would be great to have a car that can do everything that KITT does. (I don't mean to get off topic) how about have a car that can talk, does anybody think that's possible? A car that can respond and have a conversation with you?

sjsharp2005
Recruit

Post by sjsharp2005 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:21 am

rulloa81 wrote:
FuzzieDice wrote:I think that GM car is the 2007 or 2008 Opal Vectra. I heard about it. Unfortunately, still not quite totally KITT. But hey, we're getting closer. :)
It would be great to have a car that can do everything that KITT does. (I don't mean to get off topic) how about have a car that can talk, does anybody think that's possible? A car that can respond and have a conversation with you?
Yes afterall they do use voice interaction programs on computers already so and voice Sythesizer programs that you can talk with very much like disabled who can't talk use. and as for cars that can drive themselves using sattelite technology and sensors built into the car I think that is possible maybe not right now but soon certainly within the next 10-20 years anyway

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:18 pm

I wouldn't consider a car to be on level with KITT until they can create one that has an AI with a personality, and the car can drive and navigate without aide from the outside world. It is nice and dandy that they have cars that can use GPS and magnets in the road to figure out where they are going, but KITT never used that. He was like any other driver of a car, he depended on his own senses to navigate around. I mean the GPS and stuff would be nice to help like if we drivers used a map, but I would like to have a car that could drive on any road -- blacktop, gravel, dirt, anything -- and make decisions itself with any situation.

That is just my opinion. I don't know if we will ever hit that level of technology, and if we do, when, but I wouldn't consider a self-driving car to be on level with KITT until it meets those criteia.

Steve

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:33 pm

On the AI front, check this out:

http://fuzziedice.com/ai/knightai/index.html

I been working towards that goal! :) The Ultra Hal Assistant 6.0 (version upgrade from what I've got now) is coming out soon. Plus I want to get the Dragon Naturally Speaking speach recognition system. Now if I can find a VOICE recognition system (speach recog. and voice recog. are two differen things). But it's also a project of mine to put a Via In-Dash PC in my '87 Pontiac 6000 (who's name is "Dryden" ;) ) and load it up with a pre-worked AI using Ultra Hal Assistant. I mean pre-worked by working with the AI program before putting it in the car, and then just installing it in the car computer and transferring the personality database and files over. I plan to have it do bluetooth, have his own Cell Phone account, etc. :) And personality? You bet! :) Already, the 5.0 Version of Ultra Hal Assistant, those that have worked with the AI for months or more have noticed a certain personality about the AI. Each is different too, based on who the AI interacts with, etc.

I would say it's VERY possible and people are working towards this. It's one of my many projects I'm trying to do myself.