Possible new power plant for KITT

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Bowspearer
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Possible new power plant for KITT

Post by Bowspearer » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:21 am

As the search function isn't working for me at all, I'd ask the admins to go easy on me if this has already been covered.

I've been thinking, as gasoline is starting to become somewhat of a rarety (even though KITT can use anything with hydrocarbons for fuel), I was thinking that in the new movie, maybe an update to his fuel source might be a thought. As KITT always had the latest technology, I thought possibly a small scale nuclear fusion reactor based engine might be an idea. Where I'm drawing this from is, as some people may or may not be aware, for over 20 years in Sandia Laboratories, a US Govt. controlled research facility in New Mexico research was being done to develop the world's first nuclear fusion reactor. In a nutshell a pellet of deuterium (an isotope of Hydrogen) is encased in a special 'oven' called a halraun (sp?) which is the size of a sugar cube and bombarded with x-rays, resulting in a form of nuclear power which is theoretically much less messy than nuclear fission. The big problem with it has always been having enough energy to kick start the reactor to the point where it's self sustaining.

I was following the progess of the project almost religiously in the late 1990's and shortly after 2000 they managed to get a prototype reactor to the point where it was self sustaining. That was the last I read before the project seemingly went off the radar, which to me seemed wierd. Anyway, getting back to either KITT or KITT jnr (for want of a better name), what if the reason it went off the radar is because FLAG aquired the technology and had been developing it as part of an entirely new engine system for either or both cars? Definately worth thinking about, and it's not like KITT didn't have weapons which were a little "out there" in KR2000. Not to mention that both cars could run almost indefinately before needing refueling. Also in the event of the reactor being spent, the same hydrocarbon fuel based systems could be in there as a backup :).

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:34 am

KITT run on NUCLEAR power? All an enemy would have to do is find a way to disable his MBS (which some did, even back in the series when it wasn't supposed to be something easily found out), and then BOOM! And everyone within the vacinity too. KITT would be made into a roving nuclear bomb!

I would never trust a car running on Nuclear energy of that type!

They ARE however, coming out with new hybrid vehicles with a more efficient and safe energy source. Maybe FLAG could have went in that direction instead. However, these new hybrids ARE more expensive than plain vehicles.

Then don't forget things like ethanol, solar power, electric power, etc.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:44 pm

KITT did run on hydroden at one point. Fuel cell vehicles are starting to become more popular. He could easily have a more advanced version of this type of engine which is more efficent and environmentally friendly. And just think, it would be another thing KITT could brag about since he always loved to discuss how more advanced he was than production vehicles. :D ;)
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:27 pm

The idea of K.I.T.T. being nuclear reminds me a lot of the Back To the Future DeLorean. As LadyV2000 pointed out, KITT was converted to run on liquid hydrogen in "Give Me Liberty...Or Give Me Death" and since has either still ran on it, or any other types of various fuels. The point is, KITT no longer ran on ordinary gasoline, which, even back in the series, made him more enviornment-friendly. Having KITT nuclear would also kind of contradict his programming that he cannot take a human life, simply for the risk factor alone. After all the destructions KITT had in the series, could you imagine another one with an atomic bomb-like explosion?! :shock:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: