If there is...?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:11 am

Since Edward Mulhare has passed away, obviously this new incarnation has to acknowledge that Devon has died. (I doubt they'll find another actor to play him or use archival footage.) I've said in the past many times that I don't think Knight Rider 2000 should be ignored because I do consider it canon, but heavy emphasis of it won't be necessary. If for no better reason, I think it would start to get ridiculous if we had a third version of how Devon died.

I wouldn't care to see the Knight 4000, Shawn McCormick or Russ Maddock again either (their characters are pretty forgettable to me), so all that would be needed is a brief reference as to what happened to them. Or, even if the film doesn't acknowledge the characters at all, those of us who have seen KR2K would be able to put two and two together. If the new film occurs in the present day, it is now five years since KR2K has occurred, and it's believable that both characters may have left the Knight Foundation altogether by that time.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:29 pm

Devin_Miles wrote:For example in TKR, KITT is a spehere of pure energy.
KITT's CPU was stored in a very real, and very physical sphere.

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:24 am

I've thought, That if there's insistance on having a newish cast, My picks would be;

Devon - Micheal Caine
Micheal - David Hasslehoff, Paul Walker
Bonnie - Sandra Bullock, Liz Hurley or Angelina Jolie

I think that could work?.....Though of course Hasslehoff could move into a mentor or co-Chairman role and be replaced as the driver by Paul Walker?

Otherwise just approach it in a simialr to way, To how the "Dukes" movie was approached, Try to use what was good about the show and forget the rubbish.......I would like to see KR being a bit darker though?

KITT, Should be the exact same car though, With William daniels as the voice.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:25 am

Michael Caine does seem to almost look like Devon. If they do his hair right, and he can fake a good British accent. :)

I think Liz Hurley would make the best Bonnie, though I would love to see Patricia McPhearson herself reprise the role.

Paul Walker would be ok, but Orlando Bloom would be good too, as Michael's Son and Hasselhoff as Michael.

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:02 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Michael Caine does seem to almost look like Devon. If they do his hair right, and he can fake a good British accent. :)

I think Liz Hurley would make the best Bonnie, though I would love to see Patricia McPhearson herself reprise the role.

Paul Walker would be ok, but Orlando Bloom would be good too, as Michael's Son and Hasselhoff as Michael.
It Wouldn't take that long for Micheal Caine to pick up some of Edward Mulhare's mannerisms, I shouldn't think?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:56 pm

AtariKnight wrote: Otherwise just approach it in a simialr to way, To how the "Dukes" movie was approached,
Willie Nelson as Devon! Now THAT would take Knight Rider in an entirely new direction! :)

But I know what you mean... you can stay true to the characters and not worry abuot whether or not the new actors look like the originals.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:29 pm

Unfortunately, I need to disagree there, Michael. That's the thing I didn't like about the Dukes movie. I didn't see the movie but saw previews. I didn't like Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg because to me, Boss Hogg was always the "fat little buddy" and the sound of his voice, the way he acted, etc. THAT was The Boss. Burt Reynolds just didn't look the part. It didn't fit. :( The other guys were close. I didn't like Daisy though - I mean she actually was NOT blonde (Catherine Bach was actually a brunette if I remember right).

Looks to me are important if it's an already-established Character. I know it might not be possible to get the exact SAME look but at least come close. It was like putting KITT in that red car.

Like I said - just doesn't fit.

AtariKnight - I think Michael Caine is a good actor with good experience so I would think he'd have enough talent to play the role of a Brittish gentleman or anything that is given to him, if he so chooses. :)

I just had an odd thought. I know William Daniels records the voice of KITT separately. But I wonder how much of a role Devon would even have in the movie and if it's also small, if William Daniels himself would take on the role? Though it would seem rather odd having the same voice for two characters in the same movie, I'd admit.

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:07 am

I know what your saying about Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg and Jessica Simpson as Daisy and I agree, I do think they got the feeling of the show Right in the "Dukes" movie Though.

I just think hasslehoff has to be in there some way, Other wise yeah, Just come up with a new cast?, That fit into the roles well enough.