Is a KITT or KARR replica a huge target for car thieves.....

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Hunta the Red
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Is a KITT or KARR replica a huge target for car thieves.....

Post by Hunta the Red » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:33 am

I see myself buying a KITT turnkey (to lazy to make a KITT or KARR by myself)

But I live in New York, shyt this doesn't even have to apply to New York this applies to anywhere else

I am worried that a KITT or KARR replica is too flashy and will be a HUGE target for car theives

What do yall think...especially the people here who own a KITT or KARR replica

Is this a car u can park in the street or a car u must park inside a garage at all times
Will one day own a KITT Turnkey so I can Holla at GIRLS from my KITT car!

ShawnBaxe
Volunteer

Post by ShawnBaxe » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:01 am

I don't have a replica (too expensive for me), but I don't think that thieves would take the risk, because KITT and KARR are far too recognizable...almost unique. So the cops would most probably locate the vehicle very soon. Another thing is that it won't be too easy to sell KITT or KARR without proper documents which indicate the thief as the owner...crap my English sucks...sorry for that.
In conclusion I don't think that any thief would take the risk - no professional one at least...

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:19 am

Honestly, unless I pull someone asside and say look as I kick on my scanner, no one even notices what it is. Most people look at my car and say "what a nice old Corvette."

Most thieves are interested in the expenisve cars around my area. Some cars have been stolen or broken into, but a old relic like mine nobody wants to waste their time on.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:16 am

I would say you wouldn't want to keep a replica on a New York City street. You put thousands of dollars into it, and then it's paint job gets scratched while some idiot in a Hummer tries to parallel park. No thanks. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:47 am

New York is one big road rage slash Turf War. Hell No, I ain't parking my car on any street. Even if it's still a stock Trans Am. Nobody cares about other people's cars. For example, On my street we play football. The other kids I play with have no mercy for parked cars. Yesterday I was hanging out with them. We started talking about cars. I told them "If anyone throws a football, or runs into my car. I'll have your head." :twisted: They all thought I was joking but let's see...

See, as a fellow New Yorker, neps knows what I am talking about. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:37 pm

I agree with neps and TurbomanKnight. I'm in western NY and I have a 1987 Pontiac 6000 tricked out to look like a hotrod. I had to call cops on some neighbors earlier this year. Two days later a razor blade was found face-up under my front driver-side tire (I still have pictures of it). :( I have The Club in the car to help prevent theft and I take what precautions I can. I have to park in a parking area off the dead-end street in front of my building. If I had a KITT or KARR replica, I don't think I would want to park it anywhere but in a garage. Unless I had a good strong paint job and video cameras on 24/7 as well as continuous audio recording so that the car can catch idiots in the act and have it ready for cops if something should be found wrong. (Man I wish I had that when the razor blade showed up!)

But serious, why ask for trouble? Sure theives might find it too obvious to take, but vandals might have their fun, or who knows what else. There's other threats than theft that can ruin your car. And even theives, some may not take the WHOLE car, if you know what I mean? You might wake up and find bowling ball caps or even the whole wheels gone! And old, broken down van up the street, looks like crap, and yet someone stole the LUGS NUTS from it!

IOW, If you care about your car, don't chance it on the streets of a big city. I live in a small town so usually Dryden is pretty safe out in the parking area. And he has primer, not paint job due to the style of car I'm trying to make him into.

But if I had a replica, I would never ever park it in the open where everyone could see it unless I could be there with it ever moment it's out there! This isn't the type of daily-driver granny-go-get-the-groceries car! :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:51 am

I guess CA has flashier cars than KITT to attract the thieves.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

KentuckyKITT
Rookie

Post by KentuckyKITT » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:02 am

I've never had anyone try to still my KITT, nor have I seen anyone being suspicious around it when it was parked at my apartments...just people checking it out. Although now, I have KITT in a storage unit which I think is pretty safe...but I don't advertise where it's at either. I have my little cavalier to drive to college and work now...if somebody steals that...more power to them, I'll get another one.
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

Hunta the Red
Rookie

Post by Hunta the Red » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:15 am

neps wrote:I would say you wouldn't want to keep a replica on a New York City street. You put thousands of dollars into it, and then it's paint job gets scratched while some idiot in a Hummer tries to parallel park. No thanks. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah I feel you on that one

A black paint job on a car (KITT) is so delicate when it comes to taking bumps from another car parking in the front or back....

I had a feeling that a car like KITT should be put in an underground parking lot or a garage ESPECIALLY in New York....a car like that parked outside on the street is bound to attract too much haters

Plus I would get worried like Hell if I parked it out in the street if I was say at work or at the movies

Hunta the Red
Rookie

Post by Hunta the Red » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:26 am

OH yeah, NY is in the building!!! :D
Last edited by Hunta the Red on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunta the Red
Rookie

Post by Hunta the Red » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:32 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:New York is one big road rage slash Turf War. Hell No, I ain't parking my car on any street. Even if it's still a stock Trans Am. Nobody cares about other people's cars. For example, On my street we play football. The other kids I play with have no mercy for parked cars. Yesterday I was hanging out with them. We started talking about cars. I told them "If anyone throws a football, or runs into my car. I'll have your head." :twisted: They all thought I was joking but let's see...

See, as a fellow New Yorker, neps knows what I am talking about. 8)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BOLD HIGHLIGHTED LETTERS IS REAL TALK

lol everybody wanna drive like the fast and the furious in NY

Hunta the Red
Rookie

Post by Hunta the Red » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:47 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I agree with neps and TurbomanKnight. I'm in western NY and I have a 1987 Pontiac 6000 tricked out to look like a hotrod. I had to call cops on some neighbors earlier this year. Two days later a razor blade was found face-up under my front driver-side tire (I still have pictures of it). :( I have The Club in the car to help prevent theft and I take what precautions I can. I have to park in a parking area off the dead-end street in front of my building. If I had a KITT or KARR replica, I don't think I would want to park it anywhere but in a garage. Unless I had a good strong paint job and video cameras on 24/7 as well as continuous audio recording so that the car can catch idiots in the act and have it ready for cops if something should be found wrong. (Man I wish I had that when the razor blade showed up!)

But serious, why ask for trouble? Sure theives might find it too obvious to take, but vandals might have their fun, or who knows what else. There's other threats than theft that can ruin your car. And even theives, some may not take the WHOLE car, if you know what I mean? You might wake up and find bowling ball caps or even the whole wheels gone! And old, broken down van up the street, looks like crap, and yet someone stole the LUGS NUTS from it!

IOW, If you care about your car, don't chance it on the streets of a big city. I live in a small town so usually Dryden is pretty safe out in the parking area. And he has primer, not paint job due to the style of car I'm trying to make him into.

But if I had a replica, I would never ever park it in the open where everyone could see it unless I could be there with it ever moment it's out there! This isn't the type of daily-driver granny-go-get-the-groceries car! :)

A RAZOR BLADE?

Sounds like u have some jealous neighbors Fuzz

Thats weird, it mos def sounds like somebody is hating on u or your car and F'D it up on purpose

Or u never know u probably drove over the razor by accident

But it still sounds suspicious

But I agree a lot about what u said... minus the gas guzzler drama on the Trans-Am's am still thinking about getting a replica.....but I agree that this is definetely the type of car that has to have the best alarm system or a garage to protect it.....or else IT WILL GET JACKED

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:24 pm

No, the razor was there because I called the cops on someone. If you look at myblog (click on the "www" button at the end of my post here) for May 2004, starting around May 10th, you'll see the sh-- I had to deal with. I'm not rich so it takes me forever to save up to move. Luckily things calmed down a bit here.

Besides, Dryden has steel belted radials. Razor blades (I'm told) won't do nothing but break under those tires. The cops got the blade though, but never heard a thing after that. :(

It's stuff I really don't want to post here on the forum (which is why I have a blog in the first place). And no, I'm not fielding more quesitons about my situation... I was just mentioning it to show you why you probably won't want to park a replica out in a public parking lot very long.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:41 pm

all in all, its probably not a smart idea for there are many reasons behind it. lets just keep it at that...
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:29 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:I guess CA has flashier cars than KITT to attract the thieves.
Yeah, everything import seems to go missing quite quickly....